Reykjavik - Vestmannaeyjar on Icelandair

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

Reykjavik - Vestmannaeyjar on Icelandair

Post by Comet »

This was my first ever flight in a Fokker aircraft (and also my shortest ever flight!) The flight took place in a Fokker 27 of the Icelandair domestic fleet Flugleidir.

This is our aircraft, (TF-FLN) parked in Reykjavik Airport, taken as we waited for the go ahead to board.

We had booked a day trip by air to the Vestmannaeyjar (Westman Islands), which are just off the south coast of Iceland. The Westman Islands hit the news in the 1970s because of a volcanic eruption in the town of Heimaey (the only part of the islands which is inhabited).

This shows our aircraft as it is fuelled up ready for the flight.

I was lucky enough to get a window seat, and on the Fokker 27, that was a joy indeed!! Unlike the Fokker 50, the Fokker 27 had large windows, which were excellent for viewing and photography. It was a sunny day, perfect for the low level flight offered in the Fokker 27 (and a superb way to see Iceland). We had a smooth take off, and had some excellent views of Reykjavik as we climbed away from the airfield.

A view of Reykjavik after take off.

Another after take off shot (note the shadow of the aircraft!!)

Even though it was early May, there was snow on the ground in Iceland.

Here is a view of typical Icelandic tundra!!

The flight only lasted 25 minutes, and there was no meal or drinks service on such a short flight, but is was a superb, memorable experience!

The mouth of an Icelandic river as seen from the air.

This photo was taken as we crossed the south coast of Iceland.

The flight was generally turbulence free, and we landed in the Westman Islands smoothly.

This is the aircraft after we disembarked in the Westman Islands.

The air in the Vestmannaeyjar smelled of fish, as the area is a fishing place where fish is also hung out to dry on racks. The airfield was also very close to the volcano, the closest I have ever landed to an active volcano. Apart from the runway and taxi ways, everywhere else was paved with gravel.

The return flight was not as much fun, as I was not lucky enough to get a window seat, and the person next to me just read a magazine (which really annoys me when I want to look through the window and I am stuck in an aisle seat!) The only thing wrong with the flights, apart from not having a window seat on the return, was that they were too short!! We landed back in Reykjavik domestic airport on a sunny evening after a brilliant day trip. There will be more about the Vestmannaeyjar written in City Guide. There will also be more Icelandic flight written up in this section of the forum!
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Nice trip-report Comet!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

I guess our readers will not have so often the opportunity to read a trip report about a flight in that remote Europpean country.

Thanks, Comet.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Bart and Andre - thanks for your comments.

I already wrote about one Icelandic domestic flight, unfortunately before I was able to add photos so it wasn't as good, but I do have more to write about, and the next one will be illustrated as well. Flying in Iceland is an experience like nothing else and it's nice to be able to give some idea of what it's like. Like I've said, the only problem is the shortness of the flights!

The Fokker props were truly wonderful little aircraft, and I missed the Fokker 27 when it was removed from the Icelandic fleet. The Fokker 50 was a good replacement, but a pity about those windows!
Louise

sabena4ever

Post by sabena4ever »

Hello

I just want to say one thing "What a beautifull country"!!
I visited Iceland 20 years ago, and what a memory!!
The flight was operated by Icelandair with a DC8 (http://www.airliners.net/open.file/310096/L/) from Luxembourg to Keflavik, It was my first fligth and we (my father and I) took off by night.
We visited the island with a small bus (4x4) during 15 days. It was wonderful!!!
I would like to go back!!
ciaooo d sabena4ever

Comet

Post by Comet »

sabena4ever - how nice for someone else reading this to have visited Iceland! Like you say, it was a sensational country, never been anywhere quite like it!

I like the photo you linked to of the Icelandair DC-8, I remember seeing those beauties in Keflavik the first couple of times I went to Iceland, but eventually they were replaced by the 757. Icelandair used Luxembourg as a hub at one time, flying to America from there via Keflavik, hence the use of the DC-8.

You are very lucky to have been in the DC-8, I have never been on the type, but I loved to see (and hear) them. They seem to be used more for cargo now though. I flew to Iceland on the Boeing 727 and later the Boeing 737-400 (the only airline I've flown in that variant with, the others I flew in were the -500 and the -300 of Sabena). I will do flight reports on all my Iceland flights, because it is an unusual and unique destination which is nice to introduce to others.

Also I will do City Guides to Reykjavik, Vestmannaeyjar, Akureyri, Myvatn, Isafjordur and showcase the best of what Iceland has to offer for the visitor.
Louise

Avro

Post by Avro »

It's a nice report Louise.

Thanks for sharing your memories with us :)

Ciao
Chris
8)

Comet

Post by Comet »

Thanks for your comments Chris - glad you liked the report.
Louise