Belgian aviation must become greener!?

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

blackhawk

Belgian aviation must become greener!?

Post by blackhawk »

At this moment the Live earth concerts are taking place all over the world. One of the biggest polluters is the aviation industry.
Now I was wondering, Macquarie Airport will invest a serious amount of money in Brussels Airport. It seems they will build a new car parking. Why not investing some money in solar power? The airport has a lot of empty roofs, they can get subsidies, and within 10 years or so the investment will be paid back. 1200 solar panels (5000 m²) will cost them a little more than 1 million euro. These solar panels will produce 180.000 kWh a year saving 150 tons CO².
The Belgian airline companies (b.air, VLM, Jet Air, Thomas Cook, …) can ask passengers to compensate their trip and put all this money into one big fund to invest into for example trees to plant around the airport so passengers can see in real where their money is going to.
A lot of cars used at Brussels airport are doing small trips (from one plane to another). Why not investing in electric cars like this: Image? The French postal service will start using them soon: ( http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/6564935.stm ). "According to our tests, it is six times cheaper to run an electric vehicle than a diesel vehicle," said La Poste chairman Jean-Paul Bailly. Hence, there is a 30 km/h speed limit at Brussels Airport.
Asking the passengers to get the airport by train and not by car. This by working together with the NMBS and offering a serious discount on their traintickets. This week, the media had to report two times serious problems reaching the airport (not a good advertising IMO).

Let the green revolution begin!
Last edited by blackhawk on 07 Jul 2007, 18:11, edited 1 time in total.

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

Blue cars for greener mail.....:thumbsup2: :jumpy: :jump2: :laugh: :angel: :angel:
blackhawk wrote:A lot of cars used at Brussels airport are doing small trips (from one plane to another).
In my time in Zaventem we used a bike....

Outsync

Post by Outsync »

Uhm, I see there is only room for two, seeing that we sometimes have to carry huge loads I don't see how an electrical car like that :P can pull all that. With exception of the charlattes...

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

Outsync wrote:Uhm, I see there is only room for two, seeing that we sometimes have to carry huge loads I don't see how an electrical car like that :P can pull all that. With exception of the charlattes...
For those who not know them,Outsync.

ElcoB

Post by ElcoB »

Let the green revolution begin!
Nice proposals... I fully agree.

I think the problem is: investers expect returns...
Green technology has reached maturity but demands still somewhat higher level of investments( at least initially) and more time to raise returns.

Isn't that where a careful and far-sighted government comes into play?

We'll probably have a 'climate minister' in the next Belgian government, I hope he will direct some of the efforts to airports and general aviation.

A390

Post by A390 »

Let us not forget that aiviation contributes to only +/- 2.5 % of greenhouse gas emissions: indeed not to be neglected and certainly not an excuse for doing nothing, but let us please keep all in its correct dimensions!