Fire crew strike halts all flights at BRU - strike ended

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

sn26567 wrote:
airazurxtror wrote:By the way, is it a "force majeure" for the airlines?
Yes!
Indeed: it's force majeure / overmacht / Hand of God.

However, the airlines have to assist passengers. Information desks must be occupied, staff must there to show them around. An airline does not have to offer meals or a hotel room: they just have to advise pax what's going on, and what the solution could be for them.

star alliance

Post by star alliance »

Hello,

I have heard that there is also a strike of the security personnel. So you can simply walk with a bomb in the terminal??!!
Can anyone give me an explanation?

Star alliance.

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

Strike still going? OO-DWE is on its 3rd orbit over Diest! I bet the passengers are really pleased!

Ems

Aldgate

Post by Aldgate »

Security at BRU is done by several different players.
There is BAC Airport Inspection/security that is responsible for access control and the security points for passengers and cargo (Group 4 is the private company that works for them). Then there is the 'real' Airport Inspection which is about the same as the dutymanagers at other airports. At BRU they are responsible for safety airside. They are the ones that do the runway and manouvring area inspections for example. They also coordinate in case of an emergency. And then there is the Federal police that does border control and other strictly police related duties.
So no, i don't think there is a problem with people just walking in and out.

TWA

Post by TWA »

Those firemen are absolutely right to strike :pang: , I can't understand their reason, corrupt promotion of people happens in almost every company.
At least the FD of Brussels Airport are big enough to raise their voice, and important enough to turn everything upside down which makes it certainly not a good promotion stunt for Brussels Airport and its home based carriers. Really sad.
Last edited by TWA on 13 Apr 2007, 19:15, edited 4 times in total.

Stella_Caeli

Post by Stella_Caeli »

NEW TODAY
AD CLSD DUE TO INDUSTRIAL ACTION (NOTAM EB/A0419/07)

-----------------------------

INDUSTRIAL ACTION BY FIRE-BRIGADE BRUSSELS AIRPORT
EBBR AIRPORT HAS NOW BEEN CLOSED TO ALL TFC FROM 0915 UTC UNTIL
1215 UTC INITIALLY. WE HAVE APPLIED ZERO RATE REGULATIONS FOR
BOTH ARRIVALS AND DEPARTURES.
UPDATES WILL BE SENT AS SOON AS THEY ARE AVAILABLE
FMD OPS BRUSSELS.

-----------------------------

TACT/CASA MESSAGE : XCD - CLOSURE
-------------------------------
REF : CLOSURE OF AERODROME
DUE TO : INDUSTRIAL ACTION BY THE FIRE SERVICE
FCM : FCM MUST CONTAIN THE REGULATION ID
REG ID : REG ID EBBRA13A(ARRIVALS) EBBRD13 (DEPARTURES)
VALID : WEF:0915 UTC UNTIL:1215 UTC
TFC : ARRIVING AND DEPARTING EBBR

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

TWA wrote:Those firemen are absolutely right to strike, I can understand their reason, corrupt promotion of people happens in almost every company.
That is the official reason. Most people would not go on strike for a few of them who were not promoted. The more likely reason is that they want to get meal vouchers and extra bonuses, i.e. more money...

Again, for me it is unacceptable to hold passengers and airlines hostage without eben notifying at least 24 hrs in advance.

This is another blow in te face of Belgian aviation. How many passengers will reconsider their decision to fly regularly out of Brussels rather than Paris or Amsterdam? And when all the passengers will have deserted Brussels, fireman will complain that they lost their jobs...
André
ex Sabena #26567

Aldgate

Post by Aldgate »

sn26567, on what do you base your opinion that the official reason is not the real reason? Do you know something we don't?

TWA

Post by TWA »

Just a small question,

Is there no back-up of firefighting staff and equipment from other FD in the neighbourhood? What do they do in case of a major fire incident which can not be controlled by the airport FD alone. Can they summon other FD's?

Aldgate

Post by Aldgate »

The aerodrome FD can count on the support of local, non-aviation colleagues (Vilvoorde and Zaventem if i remember correctly). From a certain level of alert, those fire departments come to the airport. The problem with giving the standby to the local fire departments is that their training is not the same.

Stella_Caeli

Post by Stella_Caeli »

Regulation ID's have just been prolonged until 1400z.

VALID : WEF:0915 UTC UNTIL:1400 UTC +++++

Aldgate

Post by Aldgate »

Last i heard was that the FD didn't start the strike but they joined it to support their colleagues from security.

Well,
i guess going to work this afternoon will be interesting.... :?

TWA

Post by TWA »

Oh my God I thought it was only going to take 1 or 2 hours, and now I don't know when I have to pick up my parents arriving from AGP, they already smssed me they were really pissed along with all the other passengers.

On second thought I suggest you strike at night.... :roll:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Aldgate wrote:sn26567, on what do you base your opinion that the official reason is not the real reason? Do you know something we don't?
http://www.rtl.be/page/rtlinfo/articles ... leid=72154
André
ex Sabena #26567

Aldgate

Post by Aldgate »

thanks :-), i got the same info from some of my former colleagues. But i am convinced that the promotion strategy of BAC is a big problem.

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

A similar strike happened about 6 years ago when the firefighters blocked Brussels Airport almost the entire day. I was blocked in Ljubljana still working for Sabena in that era!

cherdt

Pfff....

Post by cherdt »

Aldgate wrote:Last i heard was that the FD didn't start the strike but they joined it to support their colleagues from security.
That is **TUUT** ! ! ! ! I can't imagine this to be true.
Anyway it's really unbelievable that the FD decides to take action whit such a big impact. They could have tried smaller actions first. This Rambo attitude is simply despicable and can't be accepted in any way no matter what the cause of strike might be. And certainly not for meal vouchers! ! ! ! Shame on them!

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

A more logical way to attain the goal of those fireworkers which is at least as efficient, but minimises impact on passengers is the following:

1. Merely threaten management with a strike on an undisclosed date
2. If no response: announce start date and duration of an upcoming strike
3. If no response: execute the earlier announced strike

The way they proceeded now is not going to create goodwill from the management. To be honest, I think this strike has far less impact on management than it has on the travelers. If they are really that corrupt, they don't care about not having firemen today...why should they? I don't think it will have a great impact, as a fire brigade does not have a bottom line. In this way, the strikers only risk to be faced with penalties if they continue to strike.

Moreover, if the problem really is the company culture, it takes far more subtle actions to achieve even the slightest change...look at flightcare: they have striked as wel for Vindevogel...it did not change the management way of thinking, they even appealed the decision of the court to reenstate her in her previous function!

For the sake of all those stranded passengers, I hope the strike will end soon!

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

By the way,

They put the old BIAC website online instead of the new brusselsairport site. Did the new one crash and is this the back-up solution due to higher traffic? Is anyone clued in on ?

Stella_Caeli

Post by Stella_Caeli »

Closure extended until 1500z.

VALID : WEF:0915 UTC UNTIL:1500 UTC +++++