Rumor: US Airways to take AC A340-500s

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

cageyjames

Post by cageyjames »

I think the A340 is the best long range widebody for US since we already fly the A330. No sense bringing in a new aircraft "type" when we need it very quick.

Now long term A350XWB vs 787/777 that is a different argument. I wouldn't mind seeing something since the A350XWB is still MIA.
US Airways - Fly with US

nwa757

Post by nwa757 »

Agreed. The A340 will be a good fit at US.

My only concern would be hot & high performance in Phoenix and Las Vegas. The A340 (-300) already has a hard enough time making it off of the ground when it is cold. I am not sure how the A340 would perform in the desert heat. Hopefully, it wouldn't be weight restricted.
Onward and Upward...

cageyjames

Post by cageyjames »

nwa757 wrote:My only concern would be hot & high performance in Phoenix and Las Vegas. The A340 (-300) already has a hard enough time making it off of the ground when it is cold. I am not sure how the A340 would perform in the desert heat. Hopefully, it wouldn't be weight restricted.
I don't see them coming to PHX or LAS. If there is a flight from PHX to FRA, then I would assume the A332 would be that aircraft (though LH did fly PHX to FRA with A340s). The A340s will probably only fly out of PHL.
US Airways - Fly with US

smokejumper

Post by smokejumper »

If US incorporates the A340 aircraft into its' fleet, wouldn't the higher fuel consumption put the airline at a competitive disadvantage (unless, of course, the acquisition cost was so low as to make up for the increased fuel burn)?

If the planes were being used only for a short period of the day, the increased fuel burn would not be a big item, but, given normal airliner daily useage of 12-14 hours (some higher), I would guess that the increased costs (over a more fuel efficient plane) would be significant.

AVION1

Post by AVION1 »

March 1, 2007
TEMPE, Ariz. /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- US Airways (NYSE: LCC) plans to apply for Philadelphia-Shanghai service later this year when the U.S. Department of Transportation calls for 2008 U.S.-China applications. If approved by the DOT, the service will begin in March 2008 and will be the new US Airways' first service into Asia. "This proposed route would be the first US Airways service to China and would provide access from our largest international hub to one of Asia's leading countries for commerce, culture and tourism," said US Airways Chairman and CEO Doug Parker. "China is one of the fastest growing markets in the world, an important destination for both business and leisure flyers."

"US Airways' decision to base its first non-stop flights to China out of Philadelphia is a testament to the region and builds on the company's commitment to Pennsylvania," said state Governor Edward G. Rendell. "Philadelphia International is a world-class facility, serving one of the nation's largest metropolitan areas. Its reputation for excellence will help the airline succeed in this competitive industry, while creating new opportunities for the region's residents and travelers."

"US Airways application for nonstop service to China addresses the Philadelphia region's need for convenient access to one of the world's rapidly growing economic, cultural and tourist centers," said Mayor John F. Street. "This exciting initiative will open new opportunities for mutually beneficial economic and cultural exchanges between one of Asia's most important countries and one of America's great cities."

US Airways currently serves 19 million customers annually at its Philadelphia hub, and operates 425 daily flights daily to 109 destinations in the United States, Canada, Europe, the Caribbean and Latin America. The airline will add service to Athens, Greece; Brussels, Belgium and Zurich, Switzerland from Philadelphia beginning in May.

"Expansion to Asia is a logical next step for our airline, our 37,000 employees, and our customers," Parker said. "We are well-positioned at Philadelphia to conveniently serve business travelers from communities large and small throughout the Eastern United States, including the Mid-Atlantic region, and leisure travelers who are discovering Asia in increasing numbers. At the same time, we continue to demonstrate our commitment to Philadelphia as US Airways' primary international hub."

US Airways is close to making a decision on acquiring aircraft suitable to fly Philadelphia-Shanghai nonstop and has ample time and financial resources to do so.

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

If US must get A340's, i would like to see the A340-600 in thier fleet! That is one beautiful airplane and it would look great in US Airways livery!
Theres nothing better than slow cooked fall off the bone BBQ, Texas style

cageyjames

Post by cageyjames »

TexasGuy wrote:If US must get A340's, i would like to see the A340-600 in thier fleet! That is one beautiful airplane and it would look great in US Airways livery!
A bit large for us don't you think?

We are a LCC after all. ;)
US Airways - Fly with US

TexasGuy

Post by TexasGuy »

cageyjames wrote:
TexasGuy wrote:If US must get A340's, i would like to see the A340-600 in thier fleet! That is one beautiful airplane and it would look great in US Airways livery!
A bit large for us don't you think?

We are a LCC after all. ;)
Do think small, think big! Think in terms of cargo. Those low fare that US and other airlines offer to INTL destinations is made up by the sheer volume of cargo. The low fares are just gravy ;)
Theres nothing better than slow cooked fall off the bone BBQ, Texas style

cageyjames

Post by cageyjames »

TexasGuy wrote:Do think small, think big! Think in terms of cargo. Those low fare that US and other airlines offer to INTL destinations is made up by the sheer volume of cargo. The low fares are just gravy ;)
Which is why the A333s are so valuable to Europe over the 757/767
US Airways - Fly with US