New Boeings for Azerbaijan Airlines

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

OO-TUC

New Boeings for Azerbaijan Airlines

Post by OO-TUC »

I never heard of the company, but they are finalizing an order with Boeing for 3 787's and 2 737-900ER's.

http://www.boeing.com/news/releases/200 ... 6d_nr.html

No Antonovs and Tupulevs for them anymore :P

RC20

Post by RC20 »

This goes back to a statement early in the 787 program that I thought was profound.

While the large orders were important, the underlying strength of the plane would be its acceptance by the smaller carriers. Those small orders would add up to equal the larger orders. The number of airlines flying it was as important as the quantity.

Its a hard one to grasp, but its been true. The orders are not a few large ones (though those are there), but also a lot of small ones. The small ones sustain it.

earthman

Post by earthman »

Of course the small orders are more important. I can imagine the airlines get less discount, because they order just a few planes. Thus it is better to sell 20 times 10 planes, than two times 100. In addition, each individual airline will generate additional income from sales of various other related items and services, such as special tools, access to various computer systems (didn't Boeing have some kind of spare part ordering system?), etc, and all of those also at a higher price due to the lower individual volumes.