Brussels Airport: figures per month for 2006

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

OO-VEX

Post by OO-VEX »

Atlantis wrote:But maybe we have also to look at DHL. Have they also transported less, less movements??
In June BRU has lost 4166 tons of cargo. As DHL will be moving their main hub to Leipzig, we should check the LEJ figures. They show us that the amount of cargo increased with 290,2% from 598 to 2333.3 ton. This total is also including LH Cargo traffic and probably others and is not of that size to explain the loss of cargo traffic in Brussels. DHL is one reason why BRU lost cargo traffic, but not the only one.

The bad July figures are in contrast to e.g. Frankfurt, which showed a 9.5% increase. Have we lost traffic to FRA?

OO-VEX

P.S. Lately I saw a number of ET B757 flights being cancelled. Anyone with more info about this?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Ethiopian has only one B757 freighter. There is maybe a problem with the aircraft or ops reasons.

I don't think the airport missed a lot of freight in favour of Fra. I think the loads are bad. But I was wondering that there is a lot of, daily, trucking to AMS for freight airlines to NY.

For Aug and Sep AH, ET and AT have cancelled a lot of flights.

And what about the African flights. Is there maybe someone who has figures about that part?

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

In August 1.663.000 pax used the airport of BRU. That's an increase of 0.9% when you compare this with the same month last year.

The Extra-EU was again the biggest climber with more then 10% more pax.

Also within the Extra-EU airliners turned their charters and transit into scheduled flights.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

In September, 1.629.000 pax used Brussels Airport. That's an increase of 1.9% when you compare this with the same month last year.

Intra-EU was a little bit higher
Extra-EU was again much higher due to Etihad and Hainan. But what about load factor of Ethiopian? Someone info about that.

With only three months to go the airport counted 12.962.000 pax. A prognose will say that there will be 500.000 pax more then last year.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Atlantis wrote:That's an increase of 1.9% when you compare this with the same month last year.
Macquarie had more ambition than a meager 1.9%. This growth rate is also lower than the neighbouring airports. Brussels Airport (as it is now proudly called) is losing ground. A strong innovative management is badly needed!
André
ex Sabena #26567

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

sn26567 wrote:
Atlantis wrote:That's an increase of 1.9% when you compare this with the same month last year.
Macquarie had more ambition than a meager 1.9%. This growth rate is also lower than the neighbouring airports. Brussels Airport (as it is now proudly called) is losing ground. A strong innovative management is badly needed!
You have to be carefull when you are saying that. For this year the average growth was between 1.5 and 1.9%. That's not much indeed but you have to look what you have got for that figure. This year, three new long hauls landed at BRU: Etihad, Ethiopian and Hainan. Etihad had a 72% loadfactor, Hainan 50% or more and I have no figures about Ethiopian.
What about the based carriers: SNBA opened FRA and add some extra flights on some routes. So, you can't expect a growth of 18% like some in their portfolio or when you compare with our neighbours.

You have to see the whole picture. In two years the airport received 1 million pax more, so I don't call it that Brussels airport is losing ground.

I would say that BRU is going in the right direction. There is a confirmation for next year that Jet Airways, daily B777 and Northwest, B757 are coming to BRU. BIAC is talking to have a connection with Japan and South Africa. So maybe we can expect those carriers in a year or two.

I think its better to start with a very strong base then attracting carriers who stopped their service after a month. Then you reached nothing.
I think and hope that Brussels Airport has a clear vision for pax and cargo (they have now a new Brucargo marketing manager to look for new cargo carriers) for the future.
Last edited by Atlantis on 24 Oct 2006, 16:33, edited 1 time in total.

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

One of the big problems is that snba is not expanding.
SAfrica for inst. could have been a snba desti.
The competition is becoming harder each year and the belgian part of the cake smaller.
So sad :cry:

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

For August there was a very slight decrease in traffic. The total numbers of movements was 21.597.

For September the same situation: a very slight decrease in traffic. The total numbers of movements was 23.005.

This means that Brussels Airport had practical the same movements as last year but there were 40.000 pax more in those two months.

Not bad news at all. There is progress.

OO-VEX

Post by OO-VEX »

The Cargo figures for August and September are showing black figures again:

August: 54.203 tons - an increase of 5.22%
September: 61.000 tons - an increase of 1.66%

One of the reasons for these good figures could be the increased number of SV (Saudia) flights in and out of BRU with their leased B747F. But maybe there are others too?

OO-VEX

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

I doubt it will come from SV. They had a lot of cancellations in those two months, remember. The B747 was only a few times at BRU.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

In October there were 22.243 movements on the airport. That's an increase of 1.25% when you compare this with the same month last year.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Brussels Airport received in October 1.468.000 pax. That's 3,3% more when you compare this with the same month last year.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Brussels Airport received in November 1.202.000 pax, that's an increase with 3.3% when you compare this with the same month last year.

Routes with a big increase were: Finnish, Italian, German, Polish and China

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Brussels Airport received in December 1.077.000 pax. That's an increase with 3%

The total number of pax for 2006 is: 16.708.000. That means 545.000 pax more then in 2005.

Good job Brussels Airport!!

Next year: 17.500.000??

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Atlantis,

Thanks for your monthly reports. They are very informative and useful to the aviation enthusiasts community.

Great job, Brussels Airport. Keep the spirit.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Thanks André

And here is an addition: total movements: 255.000. That's an increase with 0.6%

Total cargo: 719.560 tons. That's an increase with 2.4%

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

sn26567 wrote:Great job, Brussels Airport. Keep the spirit.
I have to revise my opinion a little bit, after reading an article published today in Belgian financial newspaper De Tijd that says "Brussels Airport groeit trager dan concurrentie" (Brussels Airport grows slower than competition).
André
ex Sabena #26567

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

I think of the main reasons for that are the noise restrictions. Possible new carriers are waiting till there will be a real solution.

I also read yesterday that Guy Verhofstadt took over "dossier Zaventem" because Wednesday there was again no solution when the two governments were sitting together.

JOVAN

Post by JOVAN »

Let us be honest and admit that Brussels Airport is still far behind all competitors.
As a frequent flyer , I am always surprised how poorly they do in organizing Check-In and Security. Go and see any day (but especially Mondays) at 06.00 how long is the queu for Check in at Virgin, SN, LH...

Then the next torture is the long waiting at Security. I must admit SECURITAS people do a better job than SECURAIR (before) , but why simply not to open all gates when there is a peak (between 06 and 09.00am) .

Brussels Aiport is expensive, far too expensive for the service and product it offers. I do not understand why shopkeepers are not complaining. In the last 6 months I left 8 times with the early 07.00 flight of LH to FRA . I had not even time to buy a newspaper, let alone gifts or chocolates for my customers. By the way, even the newspapers do not make it before 06.30 to the press shops.

Despite Macquarie, Brussels Airport is still a typical Belgian Government Institution with absolutely no interest in custoomer's satisfaction.
Only the money of the poor passengers is what they want. ( 2 EURO for a small bottle of water in their vending machines: shame) .

They certainly will lose more passengers to Charleroi once the terminal there is ready and Ryanair has based their 15 planes there.

OrientThai

Post by OrientThai »

Numbers of passengers flying inside the EU had an increase of 4.5% while the numbers of passengers flying outside the EU remained stable (+0.4%). I have to say I'm a bit disappointed by these figures because despite the arrival of new long-haul carriers in 2006 (Hainan, Ethiopian, Etihad) there wasn't a significant growth of passengers flying outside the EU.
BRU is only ranked at the 18th place among the European airports behind airports such as Oslo, Stockholm and Manchester.
This year we will have new airlines coming (US, NW, 9W, Easy Jet?...), airlines expanding their current activities (a 4th A330 for SN, a B777 for CO, more flights to YUL with Air Transat...) So yes this year BRU will handle more than 17 millions passengers, but we're still far from the 20 millions passengers who used the airport in 2000.
BRU is following the right path of recovery but has a long way before it could claim that it is a major European airport.