Singapore Airlines Reconsidering A380?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

Hereb is the answer:
Qantas is poised for aggressive international expansion, particularly in Asia, if its takeover clears regulatory hurdles and the airline's buyers turn out not to be pursuing a raider strategy

Qantas' low-cost offshoot Jetstar will be used as the vehicle for growth because it has lower cost and labour overheads than the main airline.

It is already represented in Singapore with Jetstar Asia. Qantas/Jetstar brand will become ubiquitous in Asia.

Let the dog fights begin!

mmciau

Post by mmciau »

Looks like SIA have confirmed a group of A380s

Mike McInerney

CX

Post by CX »

mmciau wrote:Looks like SIA have confirmed a group of A380s

Mike McInerney
?

bits44

Post by bits44 »

There are no strangers in the world, just friends we have yet to meet.

CX

Post by CX »

I thought this was ages ago...

OO-TUC

Post by OO-TUC »

And also maybe bit bad.. "I expect no cancellations," he said. "I actually believe there will be good news that existing A380 customers will order more planes."

The word "existing" customers.. can we derive from that there are no upcoming deals in short time for the A380 from new customers, like BA for example?

smokejumper

Post by smokejumper »

Let's hope that the A380's problems are behind them.

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

SN30952 wrote:Qantas' low-cost offshoot Jetstar will be used as the vehicle for growth because it has lower cost and labour overheads than the main airline. It is already represented in Singapore with Jetstar Asia. Qantas/Jetstar brand will become ubiquitous in Asia.
Let the dog fights begin!
SQ needs the machines 15 (+ 19 A330-300) to go in the pit.
Flooding the market, was always one of their tactics.
SQ will throw lots of seats in the markets, not for the home market which is now already over saturated.
How will the Indian and Chinese governments react, on the level of traffic rights, because that is the only way to fill up this fleet: traffic rights.
Europe, Australia/ NZ and N.America have already their frame in which they grant TR's.
Singapore is demanding party, not so much the above countries.
And btw, aircraft are only tools, rights are the real battle ground.

David747

Post by David747 »

So much for reconsidering the A380 huh? :D

Ruscoe

Post by Ruscoe »

I would be very interested to know the price. The fact that existing customers only, to this point in time, are the only ones ordering the 380 indicates to me that either;

1. The pricing arising out of their original contract is too good to pass up or
2.The 380 really is a niche aircraft or
3. both

The thought also keeps going through my mind that is Singapore playing a well orchestrated complex game, or are they just rattled by Emirates growth.

Ruscoe

smokejumper

Post by smokejumper »

Ruscoe wrote:I would be very interested to know the price. The fact that existing customers only, to this point in time, are the only ones ordering the 380 indicates to me that either;

1. The pricing arising out of their original contract is too good to pass up or
2.The 380 really is a niche aircraft or
3. both

The thought also keeps going through my mind that is Singapore playing a well orchestrated complex game, or are they just rattled by Emirates growth.

Ruscoe
I'm certain that a very favorable price was obtained, so favorable that the breakeven point might be raised internally (not for public knowledge). Such a low price (if obtained) would make the A380 a very attractive bird in the eyes of the accountants and finance managers.

Your point that the new orders, so far, are only from existing customers to whom Airbus owes major penalties is significant. I understand from some articles that the penalties are being paid in the form of low prices on new orders (or options). This is not a real hardship to Airbus since they get new sales and a long term customer for parts for the planes. Parts are very profitable.

fleabyte

A330 glut

Post by fleabyte »

It seems the way airbus has pacified Singapore and Qantas due to A380 or A350 delays is with short term lease brand new A330's at low price - great for factory today, not so good for finance?

But what will happen with these birds in 2012-2015 when all the A380's and A350s are delivered, and Boeing is pumpping out 787's?

Maybe they will be used for freighter conversions? They will be very new airframes. maybe replacement for 767-300's

CX

Re: A330 glut

Post by CX »

fleabyte wrote:It seems the way airbus has pacified Singapore and Qantas due to A380 or A350 delays is with short term lease brand new A330's at low price - great for factory today, not so good for finance?

But what will happen with these birds in 2012-2015 when all the A380's and A350s are delivered, and Boeing is pumpping out 787's?

Maybe they will be used for freighter conversions? They will be very new airframes. maybe replacement for 767-300's
There are still 767-300ERs around now, like ANZ actually uses it (not anymore now i suppose) to fly the AKL-HKG route until a few months ago... i'm sure airlines would still want A333s to a certain extent in 2012.

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

DFW wrote:SN30952, I'm disturbed by your comments.
Attacking an airline for what you're calling unethical business practices (putting it mildly) is one thing. Attacking a race as a whole is entirely different.
Here is a picture of the President's son in law....
That's six years.
The wife is to appear next in Court...
The Thai PM family is also next, also including in laws. Read
The rulers of the city state roam free.

That and more similar facts is what disturbs :evil:

DFW

Re: Gold is gold

Post by DFW »

SN30952 wrote:And Singapore AL Reconsidering A380?
I illustrated that with gold is gold at the Asian Games.
When they cannot win in a sport they will add a "discipline", where they can win. Chinese like games and gambles.
Ain't that the way they operate: Create their own league. Next it will be chinese sjoelbakken, if it brings them gold.
Before the Brittons brought in the Chinese labour to the rock, there were not much Chinese in the area. Then they took over the rock, got the Malays out, some chinese families then made themselves immensely rich and took power. Their aim is getting richer, by all means: gold is gold.
No, this is the quote I was referring to.

By the way, I'm not Singaporean, nor Chinese, nor am I a big fan of the Singaporean government. In fact, I'll agree with you it is a dictatorship.

Anyways, let's just drop it. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. :D
By the way, is there anyone on board who knows how to fly an airplane?

RC20

Post by RC20 »

smokejumper wrote:Had Airbus delivered the A380 on time and meeitng all specifications, we would not be having this discussion now! The customer airlines have been VERY patient. They made plans for route expansion and capacity when they ordered the product, expecting the contractor to deliver on the contract.

When Airbus was late (the first time), they accepted it as an inevitable result of developing a new, large and, technologically advanced product. Airbus was not late one time, but two and possibly more (in the future). The airlines had to adjust their plans and make fleet adjustments.

Adding insult to injury, Airbus blamed the customers for the problems (too many different entertainment systems). Give me a break - the customers have acted much more reasonably than I would have.
Frankly the Airlines have not been patient, they think they have to have the A380 to compete with each other. They are like any other business, patience has nothing to do with it, they are doing waht they think is in their vested interest (true or not)

As for the A380 being technologically advanced, that’s the Airbus spin. Its nothing more than a hodge podge of refined 50s (overly mature) technology , thrown together for a political purpose. Its old old technology, true advanced technology is the 787.

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

RC20 wrote:They are like any other business, patience has nothing to do with it, they are doing waht they think is in their vested interest (true or not)
As for the A380 being technologically advanced, that’s the Airbus spin. Its nothing more than a hodge podge of refined 50s (overly mature) technology , thrown together for a political purpose. Its old old technology, true advanced technology is the 787.
1= true
2= isn't, I was born before the 50s. Technology wasn't what you say it was, but A380 is mature technology, which the 787 isn't?
Mature would mean in aviation, reliable, RC20. What is advanced?

And btw, no aviation without a political background. And aircraft are only the tools to fly the business. Did you notice that all airlines still have more staff & know how on ground than in the air?
Airlines with not enough of that on the ground do not last long, see Air Madrid. Because everybody can fly....

And Happy New Year to all :lol: and let's have fun in 2007.

A350XWB

Post by A350XWB »

CATHAY PACIFIC order 747-8i :?: :?: not A380 :?: :?: :?: :( :(

teach

Post by teach »

CATHAY PACIFIC order 747-8i not A380
Says who?

CX

Post by CX »

A350XWB wrote:CATHAY PACIFIC order 747-8i :?: :?: not A380 :?: :?: :?: :( :(
Even if that is true, it is not surprising, it would be more surprising if they go A380s. They are so conversative, they are not going to replace their 744s with A380s and make their passengers more comfortable because they will use the highest seat pitch possible, and thus they probably don't need A380 to get capacity. Their seat pitch, even for long haul 11 hour flights (i can't believe it) is ridiculous!