Flanders wants to invest in growth of Brussels Airport

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

fly

Flanders wants to invest in growth of Brussels Airport

Post by fly »

Just read this in Standaard Online (sorry in dutch)
http://www.standaard.be/Artikel/Detail. ... =G0614776D

basicly what they are saying is they want to have around 35 mil pax bu the year 2025 making use of the airport.
Connecting HST, renewing the roadinfrasrtucture to the airport, the want to help and attract foreign airlines to Brussels etc....

but last and not least they will do all that in cooperation with Brussels Airlines.
wonder what that means?

sn26567

Re: Flanders wants to invest in growth of Brussels Airport

Post by sn26567 »

fly wrote:but last and not least they will do all that in cooperation with Brussels Airlines.
wonder what that means?
If they really wanted to cooperate with Brussels Airlines, they should have invested in the capital of the airline in the first place, and not leave the Walloon and Brussels Regions as the sole public investors...
André
ex Sabena #26567

tolipanebas

Re: Flanders wants to invest in growth of Brussels Airport

Post by tolipanebas »

fly wrote:last and not least they will do all that in cooperation with Brussels Airlines. I wonder what that means?
Well it would have helped SN had they given those 25 milion euro which they had promissed at first, yet refused to give at the very last moment almost 5 years ago...

Maybe they have finally understood that attracting foreign airlines is all very well, but if you want to create jobs at home, it is better to have a domestic airline flying the route rather than a foreign one and will now finally step into brussels airlines too now...

SN definitely could make good use of 25 extra milion for some long awaited expansion....

Sorry just daydreaming of course:roll:

blackbox

Post by blackbox »

For the Flemish government it's more important to have a good international airport on its soil, than to invest in a -belgian- airline. I think this is the way they think...

(personally I would like to see them investing in Ba - they have money enough so...)

Zenfookpower

Post by Zenfookpower »

Investing in growth is encouraging, but how will this "growth" and "expansion" be achieved in the context of the other "political" problems with airport traffic restrictions, noise, etc., as there seems to be no REAL solution on the books..

lumumba

Post by lumumba »

Hi everybody.
I think that the start plan is not very ambitious to dubble the traffic in 20 years it's less than 3.5 per year.
If they go for 7 per year it's to dubble 10 years looks reasonable to me.
Sabena had developped a good regional HUB from regional destinations in Europe.
Slots enough to do it in BRU.
Regards
Patrice
Hasta la victoria siempre.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

yeah, but dont forget that brussels airport is a fu** mess, there are thousands of people complaining every month about noice and every 6 months someone from the government suggest to kill zaventem and make another airport somewhere ...

dna

Post by dna »

If they really wanted to cooperate with Brussels Airlines, they should have invested in the capital of the airline in the first place, and not leave the Walloon and Brussels Regions as the sole public investors...
Since when is it the duty of a government to invest in airlines or to cooperate with a particular airline? I think the Flemish government made the right choice at the time.

I'm quite astounted to see all the moaning and complaining at the initiative now presented by the Flemish government. Some of the measures are great news for Brussels airport, such as the construction of an additional access road.

dave

Johan23

Post by Johan23 »

Indeed it is better to invest in the railroads LMHO!

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

I can confirm that the west-site of Brucargo is taken preparations to extend with logistic companies. The whole area was taken up by a surveyor a while ago. Some weeks ago a company took groundsamples and according to the latest, the gate: acces for De Lijn, is going to disappear due to the new works.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

A little bit more details about the Brucargo changes in the near future:

The new site, or extend site, Brucargo West: (35 ha) will have its first 30.000 square meters big logistic building in the first quarter of 2008.
A special department at Brussels Airport is in the final stage of negociations with some logistic partners.
Its difficult to attract new intercontinental carriers without cargo. This is the first strategic move on a new strategic place.

Brucargo North: the tennis courts and football fields have to moved away. Logistic buildings and semi-industrial buildings will rise on this place.
Last edited by Atlantis on 02 Dec 2006, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

If all this is for cargo inside pax flight, i understand.
If it's full cargo flights, Liège or Ostende are much better solution imo.

mayhem

Post by mayhem »

Acid-drop wrote:yeah, but dont forget that brussels airport is a fu** mess, there are thousands of people complaining every month about noice and every 6 months someone from the government suggest to kill zaventem and make another airport somewhere ...
Second that, they also mention a "stable juidicional environment" (sorry if i translated wrong) is necessary. But i'm afraid this is something we can wait for many years for in Belgium..

Nice to read something like that, but i'd would be a great deal to keep the jobs we had instead of promissing new ones..