Handling Brussels Airlines done by Flightcare or not?

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

ihd-fc

Handling Brussels Airlines done by Flightcare or not?

Post by ihd-fc »

Hi

Will Flightcare keep the handling (check-in and boarding) of Brussels Airlines or will Avia take it or will Brussels Airlines doe their own handling with their Virgin-staff and some new people (they ask for Agents on the BIAC-site).

Virgin-staff knows the DCS-system (the same system as SN), they only don't know how to work with transfer pax ,but that kan be teached very quickly...

Regards,

fc

mayhem

Post by mayhem »

Although i don't know too much on the matter, i suppose there is little reason to do it themselves... i thought they were always happy with flightcare, and it would only limit flexibility i think...

Cartman

Post by Cartman »

First of all, a contract between Brussels Airlines and Flightcare has already been signed for all the handling on tarmac (luggage, loadcontrol, cleaning,...) for a duration of three years.

The handling of passengers is a different story. Until now, Virgin express did everything themselves (check-in, boarding, ticketing, lost luggage claim). SN did a few things themselves (ticketing, security, commercial services for missed connections,...), but check-in and boarding was done by Flightcare. At the present time, negotiations are still in progress.

Three options:
- Aviaparter: no option actually. They are too small for this and the tarmac handling is already with Flightcare.
- Flightcare: more flexibility for SN. Less staff cost during off-peak hours (only pay per manned desk or gate), fines for sending passengers without proper visa or delays caused by passenger handling have to be payed by Flightcare. And dont forget that all the Sabena experience is now concentrated in this handling company.
- SN doing it themselves: maybe little cheaper at first sight, but personnel cost can become heavy if the new airline woudnt be a great succes. More control over punctuality, but not automatically more punctual flights. Advantage would be though that the staff would wear a SN uniform (now they wear Flightcare clothing) which would be a great improvement IMO.

Offcourse there are a few dozen other (dis)advantages for both options. A decision will probably be taken in the next few months. Question is what will happen with the current staff. If Flightcare does the handling, they will have to fire the current VEX staff, if SN does it themselves a lot of Flightcare staff will have to move to the new company I guess. Best option would be for SN to buy Flightcare (a bid has been made a few months ago I heard), but if you cant even lease an A330 or replace your Avros, you wont be able to do a descent bid for a handling company either. Pity, cause at the longer term the ground handling for other companies would be a nice source of profit for SN...

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

I'm working for the moment at Andres , the company that makes the Xandres costumes for the SN Brussels Airlines staff .
We are bussy with the SN Brussels Airlines costumes for the Virgin Express cabin and cockpit crew. They have to be ready before the end of March.
Today I heard also that the groundstaff would get a new costume.

Groundstaff = check-in staff from Virgin Express?
Best regards,

Airbuske

KLC

Post by KLC »

I doubt that SN will start its own ground handling, it's very expensive to do such a thing! Let alone they would buy flightcare!
On the other hand, I'm very well aware of the fact that they are not always happy with flightcare... and they would love to have their OWN agents wearing their OWN uniform and representing their OWN company.

I've also heard that the Customer Service Agents from VEX had to fit new uniforms, so I'm guessing they will continue to work for the Brussels Airlines. However, they are not used to flights with inbound passengers, especially the Africa-flights must be very difficult at first...

It's all a big question mark... Patience is a great virtue!

mayhem

Post by mayhem »

I am quite sure that, at a certain price, the flightcare personnel can be requested to wear the SN uniform, this would reduce flexibility (changing etc) so it would cost more..

Buying flightcare is not an option at all. I suppose the flightcare group from Spain wants to expand their activities in Europe.

My guess is that flightcare will gain some benefits here by getting the landside activities assigned to them as well. With the necessary penalty claims for errors in the contract that is the most likely option as well.. considering the cost of the handling vs the quality...

KLC

Post by KLC »

Is there any news on the BruAir ground handling yet? I heard the VEX unions were about to announce something one of these days and besides, I saw a TV station (or at least people with a camera) interviewing one of the managers of flightcare yesterday at Brussels Airport...

ihd-fc

VEX party

Post by ihd-fc »

I was been told that there was a VEX-staff-party yesterday and the staff would get some handling-information there...

Does someone know a VEX-staffmember?

ihd-fc

confirmation own handling BruA

Post by ihd-fc »

Hi

I've had a confirmation today of several VEX-staffmembers that their contracts are signed for the next months to do handling of ALL BruA flights. So no more Flightcare for handling of BruA-flights. I'm looking forward to see the first FIH-BA-flight leaving with no Flightcare-staff-experience...

I work for flightcare,this is a real disaster for Fc. SNBA was a very big client... Probably nobody will get fired but I suppose we will all get a 50%-contract.

Does someone else heard an other confirmation?

Greetings

Cartman

Post by Cartman »

What do you mean with 'for the next months'? Maybe they got a contract for the handling of all flights until march 26th (the day that Ba starts)?

Besides, if they start their own handling, a lot of FlightCare staff will have the opportunity of moving to Ba, since that handfull of VEX-staff will not be sufficient of handling all flights...

ihd-fc

Bru-air-handling not done by flightcare

Post by ihd-fc »

hi

I've got the confirmation from VEX-staff that the contracts are at least untill the summer.

I know that FC-staff can begin with BRUa but still they need to change companies AGAIN (ex-sabenies,ex-globeground,ex-IHD). It is again not a nice day for this staff!

greetings

OO-VEX

Post by OO-VEX »

A news article about the handling of Brussels Airlines was posted on the Dutch Aviation site Luchtvaartnieuws.
:arrow: http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/news/?ID=18014

Summary:
Flightcare will be the handling agent voor b.light passengers. While staff of Brussels Airlines will be handling b.flex passengers, medium and long haul flights.

OO-VEX

SN_fan

Post by SN_fan »

OO-VEX wrote:A news article about the handling of Brussels Airlines was posted on the Dutch Aviation site Luchtvaartnieuws.
:arrow: http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/news/?ID=18014

Summary:
Flightcare will be the handling agent voor b.light passengers. While staff of Brussels Airlines will be handling b.flex passengers, medium and long haul flights.

OO-VEX
Is there a reason why this is happening splitting the passenger handling? Does Ba find that the service of flightcare is not enough for their better costumers or so??? Anyone more info about this??

ihd-fc

Gate-agents?

Post by ihd-fc »

Does someone know what will happen at the gates? Will Ba do all gates or will fc doe them?

Cartman

Post by Cartman »

At the gates: most european flights will be done bij Flightcare, the rest (like longhaul etc) by Ba staff.

The reason for all this? Probably a typical belgian solution for obtaining a status quo. It is known that the ex-VEX management was in favour of Ba doing everything themselves, and the ex-SN management preferred outsourcing. Either way would heve dozens of people fired or changing from one company to the other. With this new contract, both Ba and Fligthcare can keep all their staff. Personally I think that latter was the main reason for this strange construction. Ba does not want it's brand new company to be in the news with disgruntled union workers... I also think that in 2008 (end of the contract) they will either choose for doing it 100% themselves or complete outsourcing. Menawhile they can fire the staff one by one (or not renewing the contracts one by one), which give less trouble with the unions.

But I must say that I'm rather surprised with the way the tasks are being split now. Ba does Flex passengers and longhaul flights, Flightcare the rest. Thats is almoast exactly the opposite from now. Honestly, I hope Ba will hire some current Flightcare staff, because checking-in and boarding a flight to FIH is not exactly the same as the VEX to AGP or NCE. The VEX staff doesn't know how to work with paper tickets, overbookings or transfer passengers.

Summary: a typical Belgian solution, but IMO Ba should be very careful not to mess with the service on the longhaul flights. They don't want to lose customers here I guess...

ihd-fc

NEWS HANDLING BRUAIR!

Post by ihd-fc »

Hi

Starting from September 1st BruAir will check in ALL BruAir pax. BLight,Bflex,Africa CI, Africa Pre-CI,Kinshasa CI,TLV CI, Bru-Air Charter and group CI

Before Flightcare checked in Blight pax and did all the BruAir charter and group CI.

At the gates were BruAir handled about 50 gates a day it will now be reduced to 20 gates. They will still handle the African flights and the most important Bflex destinations ( Gva, Thf, Lgw, Mxp, Fco)

This was decided after an evaluation of the CI-setup and in view of the growing importance of the African network.

New staff will start soon. This is a big challenge for Bru-Air!

But also for Flightcare because a lot of well trained FC-agents now work for BruAir and Flightcare hired a lot of new staff for CI only (Blight). Hopefully they will quickly train this people for the gates

Greetz