Easyjet to Brussels summer 07???

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

I have a question. I read in this topic the possible "problems" when Easyjet is coming to BRU and the consequences for BruAir.

But what about the other airports they fly to like f.e. AMS etc, etc? Do the homecarriers at those airports have the same problems as BruAir?

I have no idea about this specific item, that's why I ask this question.

Johan23

Post by Johan23 »

And you must take into account the complete package. Insurances, Living abroad, taxes, retirement (pensioen). I agree on the fact that if EZY comes to BRU they'll create jobs for Belgians. I didn't think of that in previous messages.

Cheers

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

I think that for example on the BRU-MAD route Iberia has to fear more than Brussels airlines.
Iberia "full service carrier" offering low cost service at full service prices. Brussels Airlines is offering low fares and higer fares for the passenger who needs the flexibility.

Do you guys think that passengers would choose Easyjet for the short haul ( for example LTN-BRU of GVA-BRU and choose Brussels Airlines for the long haul?
Best regards,

Airbuske

Cartman

Post by Cartman »

Just a remark on the statement that more competition always leads to better situation for the costumers.

In 1990, there were numerous saving & loan banks in Belgium. When the free market began to operate, several institutes merged to unite against the competition (e.g. ASLK + Generale = Fortis). Nowadays, there isn't even half as much choice as in 1990 (in fact, there are only about seven banks left that offer basic facilities like home- and selfbanking). Banks exploit this situation and charge more and more costs for less service and for just keeping your money on your account (which they use to make more money for them), despite informatization and huge personnel cuts. More profit for the management and shareholders, that's what it lead to.

Want to see how liberalization improves railway services? England, more accidents than anywhere in Europe and Virgin (remark the irony) trains that get stucked in the middle of nowhere due to a lack of fuel or technical malfunctions that have to be repaired by passengers themselves (both true stories).

Same goes for aviation. Ryanair (who is probably receiving more Belgian tax Euros via the Walloon regional government than the SNgroup in total) has only one goal: 'kill the competition', preferrably with unfair trade practices. Every airliner that goes bankrupt is less competition for FR. If this price-war goes on, only few (low service) airliners survive (e.g. Ireland). And in this modern-day compulsary liberal thinking pattern, less offer and equal demand lead to higher prices. Or is there really someone who thinks that Michael O'Leary's first daily concern is the well-being of European passengers and the chance to travel for a democratic prize?

More competition? Yes please, but only in a fair...

AVION1

Post by AVION1 »

Slots request by Easyjet Switzerland for 2 daily GVA-BRU

mayhem

Post by mayhem »

Cartman wrote:Just a remark on the statement that more competition always leads to better situation for the costumers.

(...)

More competition? Yes please, but only in a fair...
Although your examples might be true stories, the theory that lies beneath liberalization is fairly simple. Create open markets without any regulations (on commercial aspects, security rules will always be there) and the quest for efficiency has begun. High profits? If you see too much profits in a certain market, start your own activities there... that's a basic assumption from free markets.

The only sh*t is that some governments (as the walloon regional government) are too selfish to comply.. and are doing everything to subsidize walloon jobs...

liberalization is the only way to get rid of those high profits for shareholders and management...

grnkg

Post by grnkg »

I would love to hear that EZY is coming to Belgium, one of the very few European countries to which they don't fly to today!

But I would be even more pleased if they had chosen LGG instead of BRU. Especially after they will stop flying MST-SXF as of January.

Kind regards,
GR.

PS: by now you have of course already guessed that I live close to Maastricht and Liege...

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

Cartman wrote: Want to see how liberalization improves railway services? England, more accidents than anywhere in Europe and Virgin (remark the irony) trains that get stucked in the middle of nowhere due to a lack of fuel or technical malfunctions that have to be repaired by passengers themselves (both true stories).
Look mate accident happen everywhere and not only in the UK! Ever since railtrack dissappeared accidents have fallen sharply to the levels seen in Europe. Take a close look and see the amounts of money invested by these private companies: new rolling stock, station refurbishment, consumer friendly attitude and market driven choices decisions of the bloated state-owned companies in mainland europe. Care to share the links to the stories you have told here... In any case bad example railways have little in common with aviation...

Did I see someone posting something about Air Berlin in this forum earlier today?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

mayhem wrote:The only sh*t is that some governments (as the walloon regional government) are too selfish to comply.. and are doing everything to subsidize walloon jobs....
Every government in the EU has to comply with EU competition rules, even the Walloon government. There are different rules for smaller airports, and the Walloon government does not go beyond what is allowed by the EU.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Vinnie-Winnie

Post by Vinnie-Winnie »

sn26567 wrote:
mayhem wrote:The only sh*t is that some governments (as the walloon regional government) are too selfish to comply.. and are doing everything to subsidize walloon jobs....
Every government in the EU has to comply with EU competition rules, even the Walloon government. There are different rules for smaller airports, and the Walloon government does not go beyond what is allowed by the EU.
Well it got into trouble for doing so if my memory serves me well! What was the final settlement Ryanair having to repay the aid? In any case I think mayhem has a point in our overall debate some people here in Belgium are very short-sighted by thinking that the only way to protect jobs is to shield the dominant player from competition! Once support vanishes as we have seen for Sabena well the consequences get dire!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Vinnie-Winnie wrote:Well it got into trouble for doing so if my memory serves me well! What was the final settlement Ryanair having to repay the aid?
Exactly my point: the rules for regional airports were created after complaints about the favourable treatment Ryanair got in Charleroi. And now these regional airport are all eaqual. See what Pau and Carcassone give to Ryanair...
André
ex Sabena #26567

Cartman

Post by Cartman »

Vinnie-Winnie wrote: Look mate accident happen everywhere and not only in the UK! Ever since railtrack dissappeared accidents have fallen sharply to the levels seen in Europe. Take a close look and see the amounts of money invested by these private companies: new rolling stock, station refurbishment, consumer friendly attitude and market driven choices decisions of the bloated state-owned companies in mainland europe. Care to share the links to the stories you have told here... In any case bad example railways have little in common with aviation...
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_rail_accidents -> have a look at the map at the bottom, notice the color of the UK
- http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cove ... 101810.stm
- http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/ ... _n14247854 -> train out of fuel

Railways or aviation, my point is that fair competition is OK. It creates jobs and lowers prices for costumers. But liberalization often leads to the sort of unfair competition by e.g. Ryanair (staff exploited, social legislation ignored, passenger rights considered obsolete,...) that kills the serious companies that follow the rules, leaving market domination of a lowservice player. And then we can only hope that the next round of savings doesn't affect the safety policy.
Last edited by Cartman on 24 Nov 2006, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

:offtopic: back on topic please

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Back on topic : it would be good to have easyJet at Brussels soon; good for the customer, and good for the airport.
Yes, there will be competition - "que le meilleur gagne !" as they say in French.

mayhem

Post by mayhem »

I heard somewhere that easyjet would love to have Menzies as handler in BRU, could that be correct? They do use Menzies's kiss service a lot if i'm correct?

Bokkum

Post by Bokkum »

In AMS/SPL Menzies is also the handler for EZY. :wink:

Regards, Jeroen

fcw

Post by fcw »

Today in De Standaard online:
EasyJet mogelijk naar Brussel
or La Libre: http://www.lalibre.be/article.phtml?id= ... _id=317109

Jense

Post by Jense »

New speculations posted by Air_Lac here. Sounds interesting...!

Sparrow

Post by Sparrow »

That sounds very interesting :lol:
I find that it would be nice to see EasyJet here in BRU.
When U2 come to BRU I don't think that GVA will be the only route. What are other realistic routes for U2 from BRU?

Kind regards
Bavo

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

Sparrow wrote:What are other realistic routes for U2 from BRU?

Kind regards
Bavo
Madrid?, Milan MXP? , Berlin ?
Best regards,

Airbuske