F-16 Strike Kills Zarqui

A place to discuss military aviation: airshows, stunning pictures, weapons, etc...

Moderator: Latest news team

CaptainEd

F-16 Strike Kills Zarqui

Post by CaptainEd »

I'm not sure about this. Supposedly, it was two 500# Smart Bombs that were dropped from an F-16 that demolished the home he was in, and a car. That being the case, how come Zarqawi was in one piece? I would think his ears, nose, and eyes would be like pulp. The photo of his head showed only minor trauma and some blood which looks like it may NOT be blood, and smeared on, and a few Arabs doing a little dance waving their guns, which looked like a poorly staged photo op.

The aircraft I saw in the news clips was a F-105.I'll have to look further on these details.

Let's here it, Gentleman.

Ed Toner

Comet

Post by Comet »

I'm glad the piece of vile scum is dead. How many innocent people had it killed, or caused the deaths of?
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

CaptainEd

Post by CaptainEd »

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htmurp ... 60607.aspx

Reports from April indicate that Zarqawi had been “demoted” within al-Qaeda. Huthayfah Azzam, son of Abdullah Azzam, the mentor of both Osama bin Laden and Mr. Zarqawi, said Zarqawi was stripped of his political duties two weeks ago due to concerns that his actions were hurting the Iraqi insurgency’s support in the Arab world.

On Wednesday, June 7, a mere 24 hours before the announced killing of al-Zarqawi, this piece was posted on Strategypage.com:

Zarqawi Scheduled for Martyrdom

The relationship between terrorist leader Abu Musab al Zarqawi and and the mainline al Qaeda leadership continues to deteriorate. Zarqawi’s recent audio messages have not only attacked the U.S. and the Shia-dominated government in Iraq, but also Iran. He’s even claiming that the U.S., Iran, and Shia in general, are in cahoots to destroy Islam. He has also called for continued attacks against Shia.

Except for his verbal attacks on the U.S. and the Iraqi government, he is almost totally distanced himself from the central leadership. Other al Qaeda leaders have been trying to down play anti-Iranian and anti-Shia rhetoric, and have been strongly discouraging attacks on civilians.

Given that Zarqawi has become a loose cannon and that his actions are handicapping Al Qaeda’s efforts, it seems reasonable to expect that an accident may befall him at some point in the near future. If handled right it can be made to look like he went out in a blaze of glory fighting American troops or that he was foully murdered. Either way, al Qaeda gets rid of a problem and gains another “martyr.”

General Bill Caldwell has revealed that US forces relied on information that came from within Zarqawi’s own organization.

No doubt the home-grown Iraqi insurgency is glad to see Zarqawi go. But it is also very likely that StrategyPage.com is correct that they have lost a problem and gained a martyr.

http://www.airdisaster.com/user-uploads/its_smoke.gif

earthman

Post by earthman »

Perhaps al Qaeda told the Americans where he is, to get rid of him AND to get the 25 million dollar reward, to fund further activities.

CaptainEd

Post by CaptainEd »

I saw an autopsy which stated there was a large bullet type hole in his stomach.

The aircraft never strafed the target.

I suspect he was captured alive, interegated, beaten, then killed.

pietn

Post by pietn »

Once again, as so many things already happened in Iraq, we will probably never know the true details about his death. Maybe he was killed by members of Al-Qaeda because he was a loose cannon and then given to the Americans and then they faked a succesful air-attack so they would come out as heroes in the eyes of the people just to forget for one moment the innocent lives that where already lost due to their own attacks.

greetings, Pietn

SN30952

Framed?

Post by SN30952 »

CaptainEd wrote:I suspect he was captured alive, interegated, beaten, then killed.
If they could catch him alive they would have kept him alive, at least they should have tried to get get some information out of him, indeed.
What they probably did.
What I think is, that the F105 attack was staged after the man was shot by his own people.
These guys first called to claim the bounty.
Photos of the man were then taken...
But what happened after that with the guys and that house and car you can imagine.

Within few hours, they want to make the public believe, they showed the picture of the man, nicely framed behind glass, while all the other footing was shown on a videowall. Isn't that strange?

pietn

Post by pietn »

you have a point there.

Just to inform you: the F-105 was taken out of service about 25 years ago.
It's an aircraft from the Vietnam age.

greetings, Pietn

SN30952

The Thunderchiefs

Post by SN30952 »

pietn wrote:you have a point there.
Just to inform you: the F-105 was taken out of service about 25 years ago.
It's an aircraft from the Vietnam age. greetings, Pietn
That was part of the joke. Pietn... I saw these F105 some 34years ago on their sorties to Nam in Korat. Actually that were the last US ones to operate from there in the war, as in February 1973 combat operations in Vietnam ended.
In that period I was o/b a DC3 !! between Luang Prabang and Vientiane, when USAF was flying its last missions over Laos.
BTW, the last US war sortie from Korat was over Cambodia on Aug 15 of the same year, but it wasn't an F-105, correct me, if I made a mistake here.
The USAF F105 left Thailand somewhere in the last months of '74.

The US government denied that the Air Force was operating out of Thailand until 1966, but in fact the F-105s were increasingly busy, from then on.

In the last months of '74, Gloria Gaynor was singing “Never Can Say Goodbye” disco style remember that?
Here is what was heard in all pubs & bars near UTP and Don Muang at that time:
I never can say goodbye girl, uh baby
I never can say goodbye, no, no, no, no, uh
I never can say goodbye girl, uh, uh
I never can say goodbye, no, no, no, no, uh
Never can say goodbye
No, no, no, no, I never can say goodbye
3rd Verse
I keep thinking that our problems
Soon are all gonna work out
But there's that same unhappy feeling
And there's that anguish
There's that doubt

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

If you remember how aviation was, 30 or 40 years ago, before terrorism became a way of life ... No security check to speak of, viewing terraces at airports, spotters welcome, everything pleasant and relax...
These terrorists guys have made life more difficult for billions of innocent travellers, not to mention those they have actually killed.
It could be argued that they deserve whatever they get...

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

Apparently he was still alive when the Americans captured him, so it's comforting to know that at least he DID suffer before he went to hell.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

SN30952

Post by SN30952 »

airazurxtror wrote:If you remember how aviation was, 30 or 40 years ago, before terrorism became a way of life ... No security check to speak of, viewing terraces at airports, spotters welcome, everything pleasant and relax...
Indeed, you would then board an airplane, same way you board your brother's car. The pilots were looking from their cockpit, their door ajar. At some stations it was an handshake, passengers would help mothers with their baby.
It was fun working with an airline in these times. And I believe it was great fun travelling by air. But fares weren't that cheap.

At Zaventem, Sabena had inherited the road trains from the Expo 58. This was a small train of open but roofed carts, tracted by a Mercedes van, if i remember well. A guide would then explain to the vistors on the tarmac, almost under the wing, what was happening around and in the airplanes.
Sometimes the guide would ask the pursors what was the menu, and they replied by reading the menu from the service door.

That were the days, indeed...

Comet

Post by Comet »

Ozzie1969 wrote:Apparently he was still alive when the Americans captured him, so it's comforting to know that at least he DID suffer before he went to hell.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.
Well said Ozzie :thumbsup:
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

SN30952

Reports Zarqawi beaten to death “baloney”: US general

Post by SN30952 »

My favourite newspaper: Khaleej Times reports: Reports Zarqawi beaten to death “baloney”: US general
“That’s baloney,” said US General George Casey, speaking to the Fox News Sunday television program: "He died while American soldiers were attempting to save his life".

Resuscitation?
The Sunday Times went into more detail, citing 25-year-old labourer, Ali Abbas, as saying the soldiers kicked the wounded man in the chest until he grew paler and began bleeding from his mouth before he died.