Soldiers as individual planes

A place to discuss military aviation: airshows, stunning pictures, weapons, etc...

Moderator: Latest news team

Advisor

Soldiers as individual planes

Post by Advisor »

:arrow: A parachute system equipped with a 1.5m (4.9ft)-span delta wing and two micro-turbojets which could propel a paratrooper 200km (110nm) from a drop point could be tested from third-quarter 2007.

:idea: The wing has aileron- and flap-like control surfaces along its trailing edge, and around 2 litres (0.5USgal) of jet fuel housed in flexible containers in its leading edge. The surfaces would be controlled by the parachutist using handles linked to servomechanisms.

Amazing.

Source : Internet.
Copyright : Flight Global.

Information Courtesy : Alistair. Thanks :wink:
Aum Sweet Aum.

Skyfighter

Post by Skyfighter »

8O

earthman

Post by earthman »

I'm really not sure what to say here. Is this a way to sneak in paratroopers without getting detected by radar?

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

Doesn't this topic belong in "Military Aviation"?

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

Ozzie1969 wrote:Doesn't this topic belong in "Military Aviation"?
I think you are right. May I request the Administrators to please do the change and oblige.

Thanks Ozzie 8)
Aum Sweet Aum.

smokejumper

Post by smokejumper »

The system will allow special operations troops to be inserted well behind enemy lines or permit them to exit the airplane outside hostile areas and "fly" into the operational area.

I would sure like to try this and I'm sure that it is not as easy as it may appear. I have over 530 paracuhute jumps (26 US Forest Service as a smokejumper and 500+ freefalls) and would like to try this! Really cool.

On the other hand, several jumpers have used cloth extensions on their jumpsuits in an effort to improve their glide ratio (conventional planing will give you a 2 to 1 ratio (2 units down and 1 forward). Air pressure prevented them from opening their parachutes and they dented the ground!

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

I would sure like to try this and I'm sure that it is not as easy as it may appear. I have over 530 paracuhute jumps (26 US Forest Service as a smokejumper and 500+ freefalls)

I can only imagine that you want to do more :roll:

I guess u don't need a reason or this gryphon.....:wink: If you ask me, u should have been the one to develop this....:wink:
Aum Sweet Aum.

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

Euhm, small but practical questions:

- how is this thing supposed to land?
- how stealth is this?
- is it reusable or disposable?

greetings

teddybAIR

Post by teddybAIR »

http://www.avweb.com/eletter/archives/a ... -full.html

Scroll down 9 articles and you'll find another release on this project.

Regards,
bAIR

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

Thanks TeddyAir :smile: for the update.

Fly Like A (Jet-powered) Bird
Just in time for summer, it's Batman meets James Bond ... not at the movies, but up in the skies. A German company, ESG, introduced its prototype of a jet-powered wing that will enable parachutists to fly over 100 miles from the airplane to a landing site. Designed for the military, the system enables paratroopers with a new degree of versatility. The wing is now being tested sans jet engines, but still has a glide distance of about 25 miles with jumps from 32,000 feet. It also enables jumpers to operate at night and in bad weather, using a stabilization system to deal with adverse wind conditions, ESG said. And the next version of the system will have even more capability. The jet-equipped wing, which will weigh about 66 pounds, will have a cargo compartment. The jumper would have to be supplied with oxygen and thermal clothing. Of course, no new gizmo is without predecessors. Swiss pilot Yves Rossy jumped with a similar contraption in 2004, and flew horizontally for over four minutes at about 100 knots, using small jet packs for power.

Aum Sweet Aum.