B-52 flyby along a carrier.

A place to discuss military aviation: airshows, stunning pictures, weapons, etc...

Moderator: Latest news team

Bilboone

B-52 flyby along a carrier.

Post by Bilboone »

Amazing !!

http://www.strategypage.com/gallery/art ... 632950.asp

When the B-52s reported they were 9 kilometers out, the carrier controller said he didn't see them. The B-52s told the carrier folks to look down....

pietn

Post by pietn »

Although they say it isn't photoshopped, it's hard to believe for me. I find that B-52 small in comparison to the ship. Although the hights seem to compare at first sight. (B-52 is about 12.4 metres high, a carrier (from waterline to flightdeck) is about 50-60 ft or 16-20 metres)
at second sight, if you look at the space between the B-52 and his shadow, that's about another 12.4 m, so 12.4 + 12.4 = 24.8 wich is higher then the height between waterline and flightdeck. So maybe it was passing the ship, but certainly not below flightdeck. I think it's a bit of an optical illusion, taken the distance between ship and a/c in mind.
There would be no doubt if the picture was taken from waterlevel.

greetings, Pietn

Bilboone

Post by Bilboone »

Check out this video of a low fly-by done by 3 Alpha-jets at Solenzara airbase in Corsica, yes indeed Belgian Airforce...

view video here

pietn

Post by pietn »

yes, already saw it once, the reaction of the people is great! :D Those where the days

greetings, pietn

Advisor

Post by Advisor »

Nostalgia brings back a lot of memories......Nice of you to share :smile:
Aum Sweet Aum.

earthman

Post by earthman »

I measured the pictures, it appears the flight deck of the carrier is about 16m above the waterline at the back, and about 22m at the front.

The bottom of the B-52 is at a height of about 14m above the water.

You can easily do the measurements yourself, use some image editing tool to measure the height in pixels, and the length of the object in pixels. The lengths are known, 48.5m for the B-52, 325m for the Forrestal-class carrier.

regi

Post by regi »

that last Alfa Jet was doing some hair cuts.

about the B-52 picture: hm, dimensions don't seem right .

CaptainEd

Post by CaptainEd »

Earthman - 16 meters at the stern seems to low. My experience on the WASP (Essex Class) was the stern was usually about 75' above the waterline, depending on the DWT of the ship at the time (Affected by stores, bunkers, etc.).

I was flying F2H-3 Banshee's at the time and I recall being 150' RA above the surface. and making a flat approach to the CUT signal. (Tricky at night, and with rough seas).

The ship is not underway at all, (no bow wave or stern wake from 4 screws) which seems a bit odd for a ship undergoing exercises.