These flights (daily) come over my house

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

Kaninchen87

These flights (daily) come over my house

Post by Kaninchen87 »

Hi all,

Last year I discovered something: Several flights are coming over my house (in Lokeren , Oost-Vlaanderen) 6 minutes after take off in BRU. I can spot them very well, because they're not yet flying at high altitude. Let me give you a list (it are all flights flying towards England, America, Mexico, Canada)

All flights to Birmingham (operated by SN)
All flights to Bristol (operated by SN)
All flights to Cancun/Varadero (operated by MP, not yet seen Euroatlantic)
All flights to Chicago (operated bij AA)
All flights to London Heathrow (operated by BA, BD, SNBA)
--> Not yet seen flights to LCY or LGW.
All flights to Manchester (operated by SN, not yet seen TH)
All flights to Montreal (operated by TS, I've seen it for the first time this morning)
All flights to New York JFK/Newark (operated by AA & DL/CO)
All flights to Newcastle (operated by SN)
All flights to Puerto Plata/Punta Cana (operated by TUB, MP, not yet seen Euroatlantic)
All flights to San Franciso/Washington (operated by UA)
All flights to Toronto (operated by EY)

I was also able to see the BG when it was still flying to New York.
I can also see a lot of other traffic to England/America/... (mostly BA; B747's and A340's)
And to end with: a lot of traffic going to AMS passes my house.

It's really great to see, because 5 1/2 mintues after take off in BRU (I can see it at Biac of course) I can hear a big noise and then I "prepare" myself to spot the planes with my telescope.

I guess there are many others who recognize this sort of spotting, no?

Maybe there is anybody who can give my the flight routes of those flights? (on radar or something...)

Greets,
Kaninchen :wink:
Last edited by Kaninchen87 on 10 May 2006, 16:37, edited 1 time in total.

Jense

Post by Jense »

Where do you live exactly? My bet goes for East Flanders, around Ghent?

Kaninchen87

Post by Kaninchen87 »

I'm sorry I forgot to tell it, but I've edited it :wink:

I live in Lokeren, and you're right....near Ghent :D

Jense

Post by Jense »

Well most of these departure are DENUT, HELEN or KOK departures from BRU. These are indeed mostly used for the flights you've mentioned. You can see the exact routing (the SID) of the departing planes on navigation charts.

See IVAO BE for detailed departure charts (you'll have to download the SID charts).

*SID=Standard Instrument Departure (the route a plane follows to the first waypoint after take-off)

Kaninchen87

Post by Kaninchen87 »

Ok thank you very much :D

The file you mentioned seems still a little bit Chinese for me, but I'll try to check it out when I have a lot of time ;)

And another question: Can I check (a list of) other flights possibly crossing my house? Like the flights to AMS...

moons

Post by moons »

Hi,

I don't see them at take-off but on descent from time to time. Depends on the RWY in use. My guess...they fly to BRUNO (as someone said on this forum). With some luck I can see the Martinair 767 as a few days ago, SQ 747, AA 767. Few years ago I saw the China Eastern A340 every Wednesday I think. I watch the website of Brussels for incoming departures and than I take my binoculars to spot them :)

Last week on Thursday an A330 was coming in very low but I sat in the car on my way to school, so I couldn't identify it. It was 1o'clock in the afternoon. Does someone know which airline it was?

greets

Kaninchen87

Post by Kaninchen87 »

And where do you actually live?

I sometimes see planes coming very low (like everybody does) but most of the time I'm too late to spot them because I didn't expect them. And I have to say that I don't check the Cargo timetables a lot.

Unfortunately I don't know which plane you mean :(

moons

Post by moons »

Hi,

I live near Herentals in the Kempen. At this moment I'm to busy for school so I don't check the timetables. But when it's good weather outside,as today, I take my binoculars with me when I'm studying outside. :)

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Hi Kaninchen,

I'm located near Ghent and see the same flights (7 minutes after departure however).

Also VLM can be seen from here...

Regards
Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

vc-10

Post by vc-10 »

I get every flight from Heathrow/to Heathrow depending on the winds. GRRR except when something cool goes over, like a low A340-600 with long streaks from the winglets :D:D:D or an MD-11 (Varig and Eva)
Saw a 747SP the other day, couldn't tell what livery it was though, as I was directly beneath it so all I could see was the grey underside.

Kaninchen87

Post by Kaninchen87 »

Sabena_690 wrote:Hi Kaninchen,

I'm located near Ghent and see the same flights (7 minutes after departure however).

Regards
Frederic
where exactly do you live if I may ask?

Stella_Caeli

Post by Stella_Caeli »

Kaninchen87 wrote:Ok thank you very much :D

The file you mentioned seems still a little bit Chinese for me, but I'll try to check it out when I have a lot of time ;)

And another question: Can I check (a list of) other flights possibly crossing my house? Like the flights to AMS...
Hello,

Jense mentioned the intersections DENUT, HELEN and KOK. When runway 25R is active, departing aircraft fly to these intersections almost direct after takeoff. Check the "SID rwy 25R (daytime procedures 0500-2159 UTC)" on the IVAO site mentioned above for the exact routing.

DENUT is located in Bassevelde, part of Assenede. This intersection is used by aircrafts with destinations like North-England, Ireland, U.S., Carribean, and even Ostend :wink:. After DENUT, these aircraft fly a small part in Holland and then back in Belgium over Damme, Brugge, and Blankenberge to the UK.
HELEN is located in Zuiddorpe, which is actually in Holland, above Ghent. This is mainly used by aircrafts going to Amsterdam or airports in or near London. In the last case, they fly on the Belgium-Holland border to enter Belgium again in Knokke and so on to the UK.
NIK (Nicky) is located in Sint-Niklaas. This intersection is used by departures going to the north (but not Amsterdam).
And KOK (Koksy) is located in Koksijde, on the airbase there ("Windkracht 10" if you want). This departure isn't used that much, it is only reserved for a few airports.

Arrivals for Amsterdam, coming from the south, will fly FERDI-DENUT-HSD.
HSD is in Haamstede, Zeeland, and FERDI is in Asper, part of Gavere. So these aircraft actually fly west of Ghent.

These are the aircaft that you can see :wink: . However, don't take the routes that strict. It's very well possible that ATC gives aircraft a radar vector (particular compass heading) or a "direct" (a shortcut) to another intersection, in that case they won't fly a direct route to the intersection mentioned above. Also keep in mind that an airway is actually more an air "corridor", aircraft can fly a certain margin left or right of the actual route.

For arrivals for Brussels, see the "STAR all runways" juncto the "ILS approach rwy 25L - IAF KERKY - ANT" chart. KERKY is located in Nieuwerkerken, part Aalst and BUN (Bruno) is located in Morkhoven, part of Herentals. And a small trivia: if you're going to the Koksijde Airdisplay, don't expect to see the arriving aircrafts for Brussels, because they apply a modified routing via Ostend (ONO-MAK) during those days (and only during those days).

Hope this helps :wink:.

Kind regards,
Sebastian

Kaninchen87

Post by Kaninchen87 »

However, don't take the routes that strict.
Yes I know...Or better: I can see it. Maybe it's a little difference (certainly for an aircraft) but sometimes they fly more to the west and other times more to the east.

But I keep on saying that it's great to see them coming over!

Ok I'll try to be alert when a VLM has taken off :wink:

Do you know if it's possible to see the SN flights to LGW?

Greets and thanks to all of you for your help :!: :D

Stella_Caeli

Post by Stella_Caeli »

Kaninchen87 wrote:
Do you know if it's possible to see the SN flights to LGW?

Greets and thanks to all of you for your help :!: :D
Hello,

LGW = DENUT departure, it's an exception to the normal HELEN/DENUT routing. So yes, you should see them :wink: .

Kind regards,
Sebastian

Kaninchen87

Post by Kaninchen87 »

So yes, you should see them :wink: .
Ok thanks :)

Just tried to spot the VLM to LCY but I can only hear it (the typical "propellorsound" :wink:). So now I'll have to wait until the next SN flight to LGW and try to spot it.

Greets
Kaninchen.

moons

Post by moons »

Hi,

I forgot to mention the high altitude spotting...
As today I saw 2 LH 747's (I think) heading north-west. Probably to the USA? I see a lot of LH heavies cruising above my village. Seems the Germans like the airspace of my village :wink:

greets

Kaninchen87

Post by Kaninchen87 »

moons wrote:Hi,

I forgot to mention the high altitude spotting...
As today I saw 2 LH 747's (I think) heading north-west. Probably to the USA? I see a lot of LH heavies cruising above my village. Seems the Germans like the airspace of my village :wink:

greets
I can't spot planes on high altitude very well...

You must have very good binoculars, no?

SNam

Post by SNam »

here where i live i see every take off from 25R! (Haren)
Really nice sometimes when the 747s are fully loaded.

And yesterday i saw a Lufthansa A340-600 heading to the US i guess, and two weeks ago a C-17 probably from the USA.

I also see a lot of British Airways airplanes.

Mavke

re:

Post by Mavke »

Hi,

wel about the C17 , its should be one of the Royal airforce (UK) as the USAF doesnt fly above belgium if they go east or west. they fly on the TB6 the RAF doesnt if they go from east or west.

ken

Kaninchen87

Post by Kaninchen87 »

Seems like the aircrafts I can normally see are taking other routes, I can only hear the aircrafts but not seem them anymore :(

What a pity, I would love to see the TUB to Puerto Plata/Punta Cana....