Flying to the Middle Empire (KL895 AMS-PVG on B744)

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
B744skipper

Flying to the Middle Empire (KL895 AMS-PVG on B744)

Post by B744skipper »

First I will present you with some basic data about the flight:

General Information:
Date: 12/13-07-2005
Route: Amsterdam Schiphol (AMS/EHAM) – Shanghai Pudong (PVG/ZSPD)
Flight number: KL-895
Aircraft:(Planned): Boeing 747-406M Combi(Boeing 747-400 Combi)
Company: KLM
Registration/Name: PH-BFV “Vancouver”
Captain: Mr/Ms R. Maas
First Officer: Mr/Ms R. ten Berg
Height: 11.100 Meters
Distance: 5549 miles / 8930 km / 4822 nm
Delay: 5 minutes
Flight time:(Planned): 10 hr 29 mins(10 hr 35 mins)
Load factor: 250 passengers = 90%

Departure:
Departure Gate/Bay: E20
Departure: (Planned): 17.21 h (17.10 h)
Take-off: 17.37 h
Runway: 36L/18R “Polderbaan”
Boarding time: 16.10 h

In-Flight:
Cruise Speed (kts): 900km/h
Time Airborne: 10 h 03 mins
Seat: 32A

Arrival:
Touchdown: 03.40 h (09.40 local time)
Runway: 16 (new runway)
Arrival:(Planned): 03.50 h (09.50 local time)(03.45h) (09.45 local time)
Arrival Gate/Bay: 17

F/A’s:
1) Appearance 8
2) Professionalism 8
3) Safety 8
4) Kindness 9
5) Service with a smile 9
6) Goes by regulations 8
7) Service 9
8) Overall experience 9

Date: 12/13-07-2005
Amsterdam Schiphol (AMS / EHAM) - Shanghai Pudong (PVG/ZSPD)
Flight number: KL895
Gate: E20
Aircraft: B747-406M PH-BFV
Scheduled blocktime: 17:10 - 09:45
Actual blocktime: 17:21 - 09:50
Flighttime: 10 hours 29 minutes
Load factor: (250 passengers = 90%)

Today was the day of my first B747 flight. As I’m a huge fan of the Boeing 747, I was really excited to fly for the first time on this wonderful aircraft.

As we got to the airport, I first bought me 2 Herpa Wings models (B744F KLM Cargo & B744 NWA new Color scheme). Then we went to the self check-inn machines. It turned out, that our tour group could not use these machines, and needed to check in at the counter. So we did, and I told my mum that I would go and spot some aircraft. I took over 100 pictures during 2 hours, and I’ve put the best ones below.

MDD DC-10-30's N229NW & N239NW from Northwest Airlines at AMS/EHAM on 12-07-2005.

Boeing 767-306/ER at AMS/EHAM on 12-07-2005.
Registration PH-BZH (Tower Bridge).

Boeing 777-206ER PH-BQB Borobudor at AMS/EHAM on 12-07-2005.

An Airbus A330-323X (N807NW) from Northwest Airlines is taxiing by at AMS/EHAM on 12-07-2005.
Here is a link to coppermine, for larger versions:

http://coppermine.luchtzak.be/thumbnails.php?album=570

As I got tired of walking around the airport (I walked for several miles, from the G to the D gates and back), I finally went to our departure gate, which happened to be E20. And there she was, the first B744 in which I would lose my Jumbojet-virginity. She was called “Vancouver”, and is a KLM Boeing 747-406M Combi aircraft with the registration “PH-BFV”. She still wore the old KLM color scheme, but it did not matter. It was a Boeing 747 after all!

Boeing 747-406M at AMS/EHAM on 12-07-2005.
Registration PH-BFV (City of Vancouver).
Flight KL-895 to Shanghai Pudong (PVG).
Our ride for the day!!!

Boarding was via 2 jet bridges, and because we were seated in the back of the plane we took a right turn to the door just before the freight deck (remember, this was a combi aircraft). I was seated in 32A that was above the wing, and (naturally) a window seat. We pushed back at 17.21 and took the long ride to the Polderbaan. As exited that I was, the captain gave full throttle and we rumbled up (along some aircraft spotters) into the skies.

About an hour after take-off, the crew came around with some drinks (I took some juice) and peanuts.

Our flight path took us over Russia, and soon our dinner was served. This meal consisted of pasta, a salmon salad, a bun and a strawberry cake. To me it tasted really nice, but that does not mean anything, as I eat just about everything when I’m hungry. After dinner, I kicked back and listened to some music while enjoying a bottle of white whine from South Africa.

As we continued our flight, we flew over the Ural Mountains and then the sun started to set. Lighting in the aircraft was dimmed, and I guess that we where supposed to sleep. Naturally, I love planes too much to sleep on them, and I stayed awake. I noticed that during our flight, the sun touched the horizon, but never set below it. And the night lasted for only 4 hours, so there was no way one could get a good nights sleep. During the night, the crew came around with noodles so that everyone who was awake could eat something. They came with the famous Chinese sticks, and I never used them before. So there I was, in a dark aircraft, with most people sleeping, with sticks and no knowledge of how to use them. But I tried and succeeded in eating with the sticks (as I did during my whole stay in China), but it sure did not look very nice (but hey, it was dark and everyone was sleeping after all!!!).

As the sun started to come up again (moreover, to go higher into the sky), the cabin started to wake and breakfast was served. Again, to me it tasted really great. The breakfast consisted of a pistolet with egg-salad, yoghurt, ananas fruit and a cake. We had turned south and had flown accros Mongolia into China.

Our first views of China weren’t that great, because it was very cloudy and we could not see the ground. As we descended through the clouds, thick fog came around the aircraft and the weather was gray and rainy. But this made the landing exiting, as we banked through this area with not much visibility. We touched down at 09.40 local time after 10 hours and 29 minutes of flying. It seemed that we were one of the first flights at the airport, this whole side of the airport was empty and only one Finnair MD-11 was standing at the gate. But rush hour was soon to come, as we disembarked the aircraft a Lufthansa B744 and some other European aircraft taxied over the platform to the gates.

Only downside was that we needed to fill out numerous forms regarding the purpose of our visit, and the health condition we were in. After standing for about 1 hour, we got through this and went to the hotel.

Short resume, KLM delivered a very nice flight to us. Only downside was that I could not visit the cockpit, even not after landing. But except from that (and my jetlag), everything was fine.

More to follow soon:

- Shanghai - Yichang on China Eastern;
- Chongqing – Xi’an on China Xinhua Airlines;
- Xi’an – Beijing on China Eastern;
- Bejing – Amsterdam on KLM;
Last edited by B744skipper on 03 May 2006, 19:50, edited 2 times in total.

B744skipper

Post by B744skipper »

I have added some pictures!

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

Nice report. Looking forward to the other ones!

Just one Q, what do you mean by "Safety" in your score?
Tot hier en verder

Stij

Post by Stij »

B744skipper,

nice report!

I've flowen the same route twice with KLM, once in their new 772 and once in the 744. Both were very nice flights but I enjoyed the 772 much more as it has KLM's new viedo on demand system: just 100% awesome! I hope you flew the 772 on your way back!

Cheers,

Stij

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

Great report! Reminds me of the times when I flew the Boeing 747-206 SUD to the US. I miss that great KLM service (I only get to fly the F50 and F70 anymore) I also have a question. How is the IFE on the 744? The 743 only had the projestor screens. Does the 744 have PTVs?
The most sexy girl in the sky: The Sud-Est Caravelle 12.

Timology

Post by Timology »

Very interesting report, since I've flown this bird too, 2 years ago, AMS-SIN-CGK. Flight was overbooked and got bumped to WBC. So it's interesting to read how it would be like in my original class :)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Great report. Waiting anxiously for the following ones.
André
ex Sabena #26567

B744skipper

Post by B744skipper »

Thanks for all the replies, let me give the answers to some questions. :D

@Airbus_fan, by "Safety" I rate everything related to the safety-aspect on a flight. To give some examples: Warnings when opening the overhead bins, how the crews performs safety demonstrations and if some "dangerous" situations are happening (could be everything from spilling hot tea and burning someone to a dive while in-flight).

@Stij, nope, I flew both ways on the Boeing 747. But I'm a huge fan of it, so I did not mind the lack of PTV's. :wink:

@fokker_f27, IFE is very basic on the B744. It only has overhead monitors / screens on which they show movies. And you get some free headphones to listen to ??? amount of music channels. But lucky you, I would have loved to fly KLM's classic B747-200 and B747-300. I'd would not have minded if there was no IFE.

fokker_f27

Post by fokker_f27 »

The -200 and -300 of KLM where the same airplanes: they where converted from -200 to -300. The IFE was about the same as the -400 it looks like, but only 2 projecter screens instead of the ceiling screens. I hate to see them at places like Mojave now... But I totally agree with your f/a rafting. :D Once I was flying transatlantic. I liked to draw the airplane we where on. I drew our 743 for one of the f/a. Normally they would give me some KLM plush birds. But this time, they gave me free candy and a visit to the cockpit! KLM is a very friendly airline.
The most sexy girl in the sky: The Sud-Est Caravelle 12.

loadmaster747

Post by loadmaster747 »

Very detailed & nice report, including pics.

Rgds

C_J

Post by C_J »

This is what I call a good report! thanx!