easyJet forced to cancel Milan-Olbia flight and route

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Boeing767copilot

easyJet forced to cancel Milan-Olbia flight and route

Post by Boeing767copilot »

easyJet was last friday forced to cancel its inaugural flight between Milan and Olbia due to ENAC's (Ente Nazionale Aviazione Civile - the Italian National Civil Aviation Authority) unlawful refusal to allow easyJet to fly. The Italian authorities objected to easyJet's new route connecting its base at Milan Malpensa with Olbia, in Sardinia, thereby reinforcing the monopoly of the incumbent airline Meridiana, under guise of the Public Service Obligation (PSO). As a result of this unlawful activity easyJet has filed a legal challenge in the Italian courts and lodged a complaint with the European Commission. While the court case is pending, the airline planned to continue to operate the route, taking the dramatic step of flying all of the passengers for free.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Ryanair has also complained against ENAC's decision, which does not allow it to fly another route of so-called Public Service Obligation.

In this case, it seems a trick to protect Alitalia.
André
ex Sabena #26567

hakan

Post by hakan »

Is this the free market and open sky your politicians were talking in Europe?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

hakan wrote:Is this the free market and open sky your politicians were talking in Europe?
Wait until the European Commission intervenes, and you'll see the market opening up.
André
ex Sabena #26567

hakan

Post by hakan »

Obviously some individual government officials are still protective of their own turf. I am sure the commission will intervene and sort out the costly ban. I also think the governments should stop protecting their flag carriers (such as Alitalia and Olympic) and giving them unofficial financial support against the competition. We will see whether Olympic will follow the rule of the EU and pay back the illegal money they received from their government. If you are fair dinkum about open sky you should really open your sky to the competition. 8)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

If I am correct, France is protecting its routes from the mainland to Corsica in a similar way. All profit for Air France!
André
ex Sabena #26567

afrikair

Post by afrikair »

It's not individual protection from a particular government
In the UE the mainland/ilsland routes are subjet of particular régulations we name in french "obligation de service public" or "continuité territoriale"

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Michel,

The obligation de service public should stop when an airline (in this case Ryanair) can offer, without subsidies, cheaper fares than the airline designated to carry out the obligation de service public (in this case Air France, which gets fat subsidies to fly the routes to Corsica). What does the French taxpayer think of the situation?
André
ex Sabena #26567

statler

Post by statler »

Hi,

imho, the problem is that 'the' airline who is flying the route without obligation will cease its service from the moment the service is no longer profitable (or worse: cancel a flight if an insufficient number of passengers has booked). The main idea to have a designated carrier is precisely to guarantee that the route will be flown, whatever the revenues might be. I guess this kind of flights is more like "public infrastructure" (like a road) offered by the government, no?

Cheers,
Wim.

afrikair

Post by afrikair »

sn26567 wrote:Michel,

The obligation de service public should stop when an airline (in this case Ryanair) can offer, without subsidies, cheaper fares than the airline designated to carry out the obligation de service public ....?
I dont think it's so easy, I agree with you that it seems logical that subsides sould stop if.............. but i't's not the reallity
Theses services are allocated to a compagny on the base of a specification ( nb of flights, aircrafts, % of cancelleed flights ....) for a fixed period.

For me ryanair and Easyjet are playing with pax as they perfectly know the UE regulations on the subject, they are professionals.... I hope :lol: