My first Air Wales experience : 6G 751 BRU - CWL on 03/04/06

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
OO-SBZ

My first Air Wales experience : 6G 751 BRU - CWL on 03/04/06

Post by OO-SBZ »

As I wanted to discover Wales and, let's be honest, fly a new type (read the ATR-42) I decided to book Air Wales tickets in mid-February 2006. I paid € 120,66 for a Monday morning Brussels-Cardiff and a Thursday-evening Cardiff-Brussels.
One month before the scheduled departure date, I read on the carrier's corporate web-site it was to stop scheduled operations on 23/04/2006. I was not too much ill at ease since my flight was to leave on 03/03/2006 and return on 04/06/2006 but I feared some industrial actions.

On D-day we left Liege for Zaventem in the early morning so that we could avoid the ubiquitous Brussels-traffic-jams. We left our car at AirParking and were mini-bussed to the front of the departure hall. With 70 minutes to spend before the planned opening of the check-in desk, I could do so « aviation-shopping » in the terminal: timetables, labels, in-flight magazines (thanks to Virgin for the special 10th-anniversary issue).

Our check-in desk was to open at 8 am, next to the then SkyEurope area (row 10). A lot of passengers were indeed queueing for that flight and I could hear it was 100% full. At 8.20 we began to get worried (euphemism) as our desk was not crewed yet... At 8.35 we could finally get our tickets. We could get near-front-cabin seats (3C + 3 D/F) and the friendly check-in agent told me there would about 28 people aboard. Loadfactor was then 56% as Air Wales ATR can seat 50 passengers.

After the mandatory passport controls and security-checks I could wander in the terminal on my way to the really far B96 gate. On the apron, I could spot a rare beast: LOT's single StarAlliance Boeing 737-500 with a borrowed nose-cone. These remote gates offer a good view on a side of the B. As a result, I could watch most of the action there.

Image Image Image Image Image

Larger pic of SP-LKE - Star Alliance Lot Boeing 737-500 larger pic of OO-DJZ A lovely SNBA Avro 85 larger pic of SE-DSU the one you can buy as a 1/100 model larger pic of OE-LBS

Ten minutes before the scheduled boarding time an announcement was made since the gate number had changed. The gate agent checked our boarding passes and noticed there was something wrong: our names were printed where the first names should have been. She checked other passes and they had the same “mistake”. She made several phone calls and eventually let everybody leave the terminal. We took and old (and smoke-smelling ?!) Aviapartner VanHool bus. The drive was so long that some people joked we were going to be bussed to Cardiff (LOL). For a while it looked like our bus was playing “catch-me-if-you-can” with the British Airways Dornier. Yet we did not catch it ;-) However we stopped in front of the tail our GA-SEA, my so-much expected ADAR 42.

Catch me if you can!

The single female flight attendant was waiting for the passengers and said “hello” with a grin. Boarding took some time as it appeared there was a second mistake on the boarding passes: seats CA & FA did not exist... but they had seats A+BA & CA+DA. The air-hostess shouted : “Seating is free”. I crossed my fingers, hoping we would land safely in Wales... in not in the middle of nowhere.

Once everybody had found a seat, which seemed to take ages although we were 28 passengers for 50 seats, we could hear the door closing. And the flight attendant made the usual announcements in English. She announced there would be no-inflight sale or catering as the carrier was to cease operations shortly. I was really disappointed as I had expected to buy some Air Wales products (models, pens, etc.) before the carrier disappeared.

Our anonymous pilots announced we would take off later than expected due to congestion on the apron. In my opinion we had missed our slot because of the chaotic boarding. We taxied on the runway for a long time, then made a steep UA-turn and took off smoothly.

The 90-minute flight was uneventful and I found the ADAR 42 less noisy than the Sabena/Schreiner Dash 8-300 I used to fly when I studied in Leeds. On my way to the rear toiled I could notice our stewardess was reading a magazine.

Our belated landing was as smooth as our take-off. On the Welsh apron I could spot a Zoom Boeing 767-300 (my first one) and a much more common KLM Fokker 100.

What a niece view!

Deboarding was fast and we were rushed to the terminal by a smiling agent. She told us we would have to queue for a long time because the Zoom Boeing 767's passengers were in front of us. After queuing for 25 minutes we could pass the border and collect our luggage. “Wales, here am I”

BeN :idea:

Established02

Post by Established02 »

Thanks for the nice report.
We left our car at AirParking and were mini-bussed to the front of the departure hall.
How much cheaper or perhaps more convenient is the AirParking on the Vilvoordelaan, compared with the regular parking lots at the airport itself?
On my way to the rear toiled I could notice our stewardess was reading a magazine.
What else can they do, if they there is no catering or inflight sales?

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

nice report, a pity they ceased operations :(

OO-SBZ

Post by OO-SBZ »

Established02 wrote:Thanks for the nice report.
We left our car at AirParking and were mini-bussed to the front of the departure hall.
How much cheaper or perhaps more convenient is the AirParking on the Vilvoordelaan, compared with the regular parking lots at the airport itself?
Their prices range from € 9,80 (for 13 to 22 days) to € 14 (for one day) a day. It is then cheaper than the others.

It is however a bit less convenient than the parkings at the terminal because you have a short stop-over ( :wink:) on the Vilvoorde Avenue but you don't have the hassle of finding a parking space since you can book it on-line at http://www.airparking.com.
Established02 wrote:
On my way to the rear toiled I could notice our stewardess was reading a magazine.
Well... I would have expected she went at least once to check if everybody was ok. :wink:

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for nice report of a bad flight!
OO-SBZ wrote:
Established02 wrote:
Well... I would have expected she went at least once to check if everybody was ok. :wink:
She could also check if all the safety regulations were implemented: doors closed and secured, seat belts fastened, etc.
André
ex Sabena #26567

OO-SBZ

Post by OO-SBZ »

sn26567 wrote:Thanks for nice report of a bad flight!
OO-SBZ wrote:
Established02 wrote: What else can they do, if they there is no catering or inflight sales?
She could also check if all the safety regulations were implemented: doors closed and secured, seat belts fastened, etc.
As far as we (my 2 fellow-travellers and I) can remember she checked the seat-belts once before take-off but failed to do so before landing in Cardiff.

Part two (CWL-BRU) coming soon :wink: