The merger of SNBA-TV

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

A350-lover

Post by A350-lover »

SabenaRebirth wrote:I just saw 'Ter Zake' (VRT) and Davignon said the name will not contain 'Belgium'....
:( It would have been nice to have an airline with a name that stands for our country, like American, or Air France...

C_J

Post by C_J »

I don't think SN Brussels is a bad name. Why not use it?

haflinger

Post by haflinger »

Why not Sabena? Such a bloody... is a joke, sabena is a word known name, and it still remind smth to people.

A good move definitely.

SN_fan

Post by SN_fan »

what I don't understand are the classes.
Will they just offer Low cost and "upgrade"

Can someone be more specific about this?

Will they drop the Business class or the current economy?

I would find it a bad idea to drop business

Avro

Post by Avro »

C_J wrote:I don't think SN Brussels is a bad name. Why not use it?
How do you want to explain the people to remember such a long and complicated name. You don't need to go abroad to ask about the identity of SN. People will call it SN; Brussels airlines; SNBA; Sabena; FlySN etc.... That's not a good thing. In addition to that the airline is called DAT in some countries.

As an airline you want to have a name which is easy to remember for the people. IMHO they made a mistake in the beginning with that name. But they didn't had much time to come up with a name.

As for "SABENA". Well it was a great name, but I wouldn't want to see the name coming back. Of course it would be nice to see Sabena fly again. Yes Sabena is still better known in some parts of the world in place of SNBA etc... BUT they need a fresh start instead of trying to make ties to the past.
That's one of my questions as well. Will they skip C class and just have premium eco and a low cost class ? Or will they have the three classes ?

Chris

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Avro wrote:
That's one of my questions as well. Will they skip C class and just have premium eco and a low cost class ? Or will they have the three classes ?

Chris
My best guess would be like SAS... They cancelled the Snowflake airline and made it an extra clas on their normal aircraft, adding Snowflake-class to the bussiness and economy (and premium economy?)

ATC

Post by ATC »

Nobody mentioned they made a net profit of 12 million...

reactions ?

ATC

Duke

Post by Duke »

haflinger wrote:Why not Sabena? Such a bloody... is a joke, sabena is a word known name, and it still remind smth to people.

A good move definitely.
I think "Sabena" would bring up also the bad memories of the end, so I would not advise it..
The new name (supposing the choice has not yet been made, which I doubt actually) should contain the word "Europe".
So, my suggestions :
Europe Direct Airlink (EDA).
First European Air (FEA)
European Diamond Alliance (EDA again)
European Quality Alliance (EQA)
or just European Alliance

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Avro wrote:That's one of my questions as well. Will they skip C class and just have premium eco and a low cost class ? Or will they have the three classes ?
Buzz wrote:My best guess would be like SAS... They cancelled the Snowflake airline and made it an extra clas on their normal aircraft, adding Snowflake-class to the bussiness and economy (and premium economy?)
Mr Etienne Davignon compared the two new classes on board of the SN-aircraft with the Thalys trains: a class for the people who want to fly for the cheapest possible price, where you only get a seat, and an upgraded Economy Class for those who want to pay for flexibility, meals,...

Frederic

757Mech

Post by 757Mech »

Avro wrote: How do you want to explain the people to remember such a long and complicated name. You don't need to go abroad to ask about the identity of SN. People will call it SN; Brussels airlines; SNBA; Sabena; FlySN etc.... That's not a good thing. In addition to that the airline is called DAT in some countries.
I'm agree Avro, therefore I really hope it will not be SNV, again a confusing name after all the other SN-likes. As a new company you have to get a strong identity towards the rest of the world, surely when they planning to serve other new destinations...
On the other hand is it maybe interesting to keep the SN but it still refers to the past not to the future...

For example what are Air France and KLM gona do in the future, there you have to major companies that go together into one under a new brand, will they choose a combined name of a total new one...
I think it's difficult, customers like to see the good old brand but are likely to want also to see a change...

Time will tell...

R

liebensd

Post by liebensd »

And also new aircrafts and routes are planned!
http://www.luchtvaartnieuws.nl/news/?id=13124
Luchtvaartnieuws wrote:Het strategisch plan voorziet ook een uitbreiding van de medium en long haul vloot. De onderhandelingen met leasemaatschappijen en vliegtuigfabrikanten om deze groei mogelijk te maken zijn volgens SN Airholding al van start gegaan.

Nieuwe bestemmingen
De uitbreiding van de long haul vloot is nodig om nieuwe bestemmingen te openen naar Noord-Amerika. SN Brussels Airlines vliegt momenteel niet zelf transatlantisch, maar heeft wel een uitgebreid Afrikaans routenetwerk. Daar wil de maatschappij expanderen, zoals via participaties in lokale maatschappijen. Er is interesse in een overname van Cameroon Airlines.

They are going to add long haul equipment and routes. Also are they going to participate with local african airlines.

Greetz,

Dave

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

About the "new" classes. They will explain it when they are going to start with. So, patience people, patience.

Everybody in this topic is so in a hurry that everyone is telling the same story about new names, etc, etc. Some are starting new topics for no reason and this for only one single detail.

Time will tell about the name, aircrafts, routes. Don't worry.

Even there was not so mutch news. We knew it that they made profit in 2005, only the figures were missing, we knew it that there is a full merger. We knew it they were looking for a new name. The new thing are the new long haul and some routes to the USA.

So, calm down and read VERY carefully the press releases. You can find a lot of information in them.

Lukas_Ridgeston

Post by Lukas_Ridgeston »

Vinnie-Winnie wrote:Seriously though I'm surprised they can't fill their A333 fully.I was told that Kinshasa was a successful destinations for example! Therefore Yields must be low but still though they make their entire profits on the african market. very puzzled can anyone explain me?
On the contrary, the yields on the African destinations are very high, even in economy class. On most destinations, there's only SNBA and Air France offering flights. Fares are really high. (just compare fares on a random date for BRU-FIH with BRU-JFK - flights of +-the same length) this is why the routes are profitable, even when not full.

On a different note: I heard that, during the D-checks this spring, the config of the A330s (now 42C 264Y) was going to be changed: less C-class seats, more Y-class: if fares/yields in economy are so high, there is no need to offer many business class seats!

This also indicates there is (some) overcapacity for SNBA.
On the other hand: the A330s are great for carrying cargo to Africa.

All in all, this (carefull) expansion is good news for all SNBAVEX employees/crew! I wish them all the best!

Attila

Post by Attila »

Hello,

A lot of changes are coming up apparently... A new name, new strategy, new destinations and airplanes...

But does anyone know what will happen with the groundhandling? Now VEX is checked in by VEX staff and SNBA by Flightcare. The names Virgin Express and Sn Brussels Airlines will disappear and will become one new name... So I expect that the check-in will also be done by one company.

Just keep one thing in mind... VEX check-in staff is paid less than Flightcare staff...

BrightCedars

Flightcare jobs are not SN Brussels Airlines/Virgin Express

Post by BrightCedars »

Attila wrote: Just keep one thing in mind... VEX check-in staff is paid less than Flightcare staff...
Flightcare jobs are not SN Brussels Airlines/Virgin Express jobs so I wouldn't be surprised if they start doing all their ground handling themselves. End the contract with FlightCare, they have to let people go, hire them at your rate or even lower: cut the middle man.

loadmaster747

Post by loadmaster747 »

Hi guys,

Like most of you have already noticed, it would be great to rename the new company SABENA not only because that SN Brussels Airlines is not worldwidely known such SABENA was it, even not in Belgium & nor for any nostalgical reason, but also to reinstate the Unity of Belgium and bring back our country to its deserved place into worldwide rank as well.
But in order to be done, I think that Bankruptcy procedures must be completely finished and any obstacles would arise to use the old name.

Hope to be hear again soon SABENA as national flag carrier of Belgium.

rgds
Dursun

SN_fan

Post by SN_fan »

Attila wrote:Hello,
Just keep one thing in mind... VEX check-in staff is paid less than Flightcare staff...
How do you know that??

And what is the diffrence in wages of the check-in staff of VEX, flightcare and aviapartners

SierraFoxtrotMike

Post by SierraFoxtrotMike »

Hello guys/gals,

I know by a very very secured source that the new name will be : "Sabena Express". 'Cause the brand Sabena can't be used anymore so they chose Sabena Express !

For me it sounds very nice. I like it personnaly...

TWA

Post by TWA »

Sabena Express stinks.

Sabena is dead. To start off again with this name would set back the new company right away. Nobody within SNV wants to be remembered to the Sabena-era with a totally different company culture.

Maybe you should play with words like "Brussels" , "Capital" , "European" and "Blue"

As for now they just like to call it SNV 2gether as shown at the staff meeting

My favourites were Royal Belgian or Belgian World Airlines (which marked the Sabena logo in the '70 and '80.)

earthman

Post by earthman »

Don't they have to fulfill certain requirements in order to get the right to use the 'Royal' predicate?