New airline with 3 new flights in Liege airport

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

an-148 wrote: The success of aer arann is not a single one, there are more examples!
flybe...

an-148

Post by an-148 »

Yes, flybe, air wales, air southwest, dauair, darwin, baboo, intersky, eastern, turquoise(maybe a little bit too early to have a clear idea), air nostrum, binter canarias, air alps, air dolomiti, air vallee, and and and and.....
- less fuel, less exhausts, at a lower altitude, so the complex molecules of exhaust can better be "recycled"(I'm looking for another word but don't find!)

PAA

HOAX?

Post by PAA »

I have recently gone thru every possible material on this. An Irish source quoting an insider at Aer Arann even refers to this as a huge big hoax.
For Aer Arann, LGG would be a projected route, amongst others, and very far from being firm. Definitely not on the books for Spring.
From a PR point of view, as others mentioned, this just makes no sense. There is no news on Aer Arann's website, that's for sure, although many other routes have been announced recently? Can someone in LGG or at Aer Arann try to dig this out? Can someone with a media connection tell us more about this? (like local TV for example, they should be hungry for this....If they are not politically bounded) Guess the involved walloon figures will claim a vague misunderstanding with Aer Arann- due to their lack of understanding English?

an-148

Post by an-148 »

maybe it's only a matter of disponibility of aircraft: adapting schedules to add one or so more route(s) is one thing, opening a new hub and basing two planes is another matter: you need the planes you where looking for! Maybe the problem is there, now that turboprops are demanded again!
concerning language skills: I suppose you are joking a little bit :wink:

an-148

Post by an-148 »

possible :-)

PAA

Post by PAA »

For sure I was just joking :wink: . Like some others, my personal interest dictates me a strong interest for Aer arann in Liège with flights to Ireland, that'd help me make substantial savings to my travel budget. Unfortunately, I don't believe that equipement availability is the reason, considering the number of other destinations Aer Arann has confired & launched meanwhile. I am just frustrated by the early announcement and by the lack of follow-up, so Id' love to hear more from a fellow contributor. In 17 days we celebrate St PAtrick: like the great saint, Mr Happart would definitely win my convert if RE were to confirm their arrival in Liège by then....Clock is ticking.

iechist

Post by iechist »

Flights from Liege are now bookable on the Aer Arann website (starting May 15th).

However, there are fewer than mentioned earlier in the thread. There seems to be one daily to Luton and 3 weekly to Lorient. Birmingham is in the dropdown, but no flights show for it yet.

Flights appear to be operated by a Luton based aircraft.

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

From 15th May 2006

Liege - London - Luton
Depart Arrive Frequency Flight No.
1310 1335 M T W T F - - RE 963
1930 1955 - - - - - - S RE 963

London Luton - Liege
0630 0850 M T W T F - - RE 962
0800 1020 - - - - - - S RE 962

Liege - lorient
0920 1035 - T - T - - - RE 951
1100 1230 - - - - - - S RE 951

Lorient - Liege
1105 1240 - T - T - - - RE 952
1720 1800 - - - - - - S RE 952

Liege - Birmingham
0920 0945 M - W - F - - RE 931

Birmingham - Liege
1015 1235 M - W - F - - RE 932
Best regards,

Airbuske

Humberside

Post by Humberside »

I fail to see how a three weekly BHX-Liege service will work. And the timings for LTN-Liege are hardly very good for business travellers. I hope for Liege's sake, Aer Arran revise that schedule

an-148

Post by an-148 »

To operate the routes like announced earlier, they need to base two planes in LGG: maybe the problem is still the one evoqued before: find the planes!!!!
Because of the increasing fuel prices, there is presently a ruch on turboprop that makes such research more difficult than some times ago!

an-148

Post by an-148 »

rush, not ruch!

iechist

Post by iechist »

Humberside wrote:I fail to see how a three weekly BHX-Liege service will work.
I've got to agree with you on the BHX service. 3x weekly is a leisure frequency, but if we're honest about it, neither LGG nor BHX will attract major inbound tourism. Perhaps Edinburgh or Dublin might have been better options among their existing destinations. Of course, the distance they could fly in the time available would have been a factor.

Also, it strikes me that Luton Airport and Birmingham Airport aren't that far apart from each other (130km). There is a large number of towns - Northampton, Milton Keynes, Rugby, Bedford, even Peterborough and Oxford - where they could be diluting their own market.

an-148

Post by an-148 »

Maybe the new planes will arrive before May15 and they can than offer a business route like announced earlyer: morning and evening, every weekday!
I agree that BHX is not exactly a leisure destination.
For LGG, I would like to nuance the opinion, because of:
shopping in the center of old town is appreciated, we see every day many dutch and german tourist in the pedestrian zone of Liege, number is increasing year after year.
Liege is the gate to the Ardennes, to SPA!, to Aachen and Monschau, the Eifel nature park, Dinant and the Meuse valley, Maastricht and Valkenburg!
There could be more leisure travellers than expected if advertising is well done in Birmingham!

iechist

Post by iechist »

Perhaps I should have said that Liege is not perceived as a leisure destination. There are many attractions in the region, but it is questionable how well these are known outside Belgium and The Netherlands.

Even if it is to push itself in Birmingham, it will need to compete with destinations in Eastern and Southern Europe, which are cheaper. If the plan is to attract people to the Ardennes region, it will have to be remembered that North/Mid Wales is only a short car journey from Birmingham and offers some of the best outdoor facilities in Europe.

an-148

Post by an-148 »

I agree with you.
But sometimes, people like to discover new horizons: if this would not be the case, evrerybody would continue to fly very cheap to spain for the sun-leisure and all the (more expensive) new routes to , for example, Croatia would have no success!
Bit all in all, I agree that a liaison with BHX has to be regarded in first line as a business one, which is relatively difficult to bring in accordance with the proposed schedules!!!
Hope they find the planes and crews before May15th :-)

PAA

Post by PAA »

Just for info re Aer arann, quoting an irish newspaper; Aer Arann CEO will invest €30 million more in the airline to help finance the purchase of €150 million worth of planes this year. Either ATR or Bombardier. The company has already spoken to several banks about financing the remaining €120 million and it is understood that adequate finance is available. Most new planes will be used to launch new routes.
Glad to hear LGG got selected! Awful schedule though....

an-148

Post by an-148 »

@PAA
too late for St Patrick's day :cry:

Humberside

Post by Humberside »

iechist wrote:Perhaps Edinburgh or Dublin might have been better options among their existing destinations.
DUB would be an unwise move (FR from CRL)

OO-SBZ

Post by OO-SBZ »

Humberside wrote:I fail to see how a three weekly BHX-Liege service will work. And the timings for LTN-Liege are hardly very good for business travellers. I hope for Liege's sake, Aer Arran revise that schedule
As far as the leisure travellers are concerned, Aer Arann's fares appear as not really competitive: from €135.

They are indeed higher than Easyjet's bargain prices when launching Maastricht-Berlin (from €40 all incl.) :roll:

BeN :idea: