Mexican Ryanair?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

bits44

Mexican Ryanair?

Post by bits44 »

Tony Ryan starting up a LCC in Mexico.

http://www.atwonline.com/news/story.html?storyID=4178

would that be " Mexiryair or Ryamex or ????

KT
There are no strangers in the world, just friends we have yet to meet.

earthman

Post by earthman »

Ryanair in Mexico, feel like the beans in a burrito!

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

AeroBus, what a lousy name!
He already has a stake in a LCC in Asia, doesn't he?

MX727

Post by MX727 »

Hello guys.
I read this in the local newspaper yesterday. I agree: AeroBus.....lousy name. In the newspaper they said they were going to start operations in September '06 and that the tickets were going to cost 50% less compared to Mexicana and Aeromexico, our two legacy carriers.

Regards,
JAHC

fleabyte

Good News for Mexico air travel

Post by fleabyte »

about time, A GOL or Southwest will turn Mexicana's world upside down.

Mexicana: Southwest service at Singapore Airline price

MX727

Post by MX727 »

GOL is also looking to participate in a LCC company in Mexico this year. About time for competition, yes of course. Our two legacies had almost all passengers highjacked for years, although I don't belive Mexicana's or Aeromexico's service to be bad, its much better than most US legacies (at least in my experience). But then again, I have never had the opportunity to try Singapore......someday.
Regards,
JAHC

fleabyte

Mexico carrier's service better

Post by fleabyte »

Yes, I agree that Mexicana and Aeromexico superior to United, Delta, American - but that is not saying much you know.

But something interesting to me is that United for example has the best phone desk in the industry. They ruin their reputation by allowing their customer facing employees to be so rude to the clients - check in persons, and especially the old high seniority stewardesses.

Captain

Post by Captain »

The Mexican low cost market has a good future. There are over 100 million people living in in Mexico and many middle-class people can spend up to $50 for long 1st class bus journeys. Getting these people off the luxury long-distance buses (there is no train network in Mexico) and onto planes for the same price makes perfect sense.

The market is getting more competitive but I still paid about €150 for an internal flight which I will be taking next month. Let's hope the Ryanair approach will shake up the market.

MayerFM

Post by MayerFM »

Hi, I'm a new member in the Forum and would like to follow up this topic originally posted back in February by bits44.

VivaAerobus indeed started its operations in 2006, on November 30th to be precise. The airline currently flies to 10 destinations from their base at Monterrey, and expects to open 5 new routes on January 1st, 2007 (all Mexican destinations).

Viva's start was not uneventful: they were supposed to have a pair of Boeing 737-300 aircraft from day one, however the second one which arrived to Mexico had all kind of customs and paperwork problems, leaving the airline with only one plane, thus forcing Viva to contract two Mexican charter airlines in order to cover all of their flights. Even this decision wasn't free of trouble: Viva's 737 jets carry 148 PAX but the plane of one of the charter airlines (Magnicharters, a 737-200) carries 109 PAX... there were a few cases -when the flights were full or almost full- in which a number of passengers were not able to board, due to the reduced capacity of the leased planes (compared to Viva's capacity).

Fortunately this issue has already been solved and Viva is currently using both of their 737; according to some persons who work there, they are having an excellent holiday period and their passenger loads have been around 90% during these final weeks of the year. They have had some problems, nonetheless: having a tight schedule and a pair of planes -with no reserve aircraft- sometimes is a complicated mix... since it leaves no space for any kind of technical/maintenance problems, which then translate into significant delays.

Finally, I want to note Mexico currently has a total of six low cost carriers: Volaris, Click, Interjet, VivaAerobus, Aerolíneas Mesoamericanas (ALMA) and AVolar, which are flying from their bases at Toluca, Guadalajara, Monterrey and Tijuana airports (Click is the only one flying to Mexico City). By the way, it seems the GOL Mexico project is not going to start anytime soon.

Best regards from Mexico.

stefanel

Post by stefanel »

which LCC do you recommend to fly from Cancun or anywhere in Yucatan to Puebla or D.F. or any airport in the centre of Mexico ?
gracias

MayerFM

Post by MayerFM »

stefanel wrote:which LCC do you recommend to fly from Cancun or anywhere in Yucatan to Puebla or D.F. or any airport in the centre of Mexico ?
gracias
Hola stefanel! If you want to fly from Cancun to the Mexico City area in a LCC, you have a pair of options:

1. Click, which is the only LCC flying into MEX (Mexico City airport).
2. Interjet or Volaris, both of which fly to TLC (Toluca International airport, about 1 or 1-and-a-half hours from Mexico City).

Of course, flying with Click is more comfortable since you do not have to take ground transportation to Mexico City, but it is also more expensive.

I have flown with Interjet a pair of times (not to Cancun) and my experience with them has been very good.

All three options are OK, perhaps the main points to take a decision are your schedules and if you want to try Toluca and spend a little less. I invite you to see for yourself the webpages of these three airlines:

Interjet: http://www.interjet.com.mx/
Volaris: http://www.volaris.com.mx/Inicio.aspx?culture=en-US
Click: http://www.clickmx.com/index.php

A plus for Volaris is that their web site is in English too (I understand you can also make a reservation for Click in Mexicana's website, which also has the English option: http://www.mexicana.com). However, please feel free to ask anything you may need in case you do not know Spanish and need me to translate any information.

As for flights from Merida, Yucatan airport, the lone LCC option is Click, but we expect Volaris to enter the market in year 2007. Puebla-Cancun is a route being recently operated by a new, charter airline called Aladia, but I do not think a charter flight is the best option for you.

As a side note, since the LCC increased the competition in the routes to Cancun, the "big" airlines (Aeromexico, Mexicana) have being offering lower prices, therefore the differences are not so large as in the past.

Have a nice day.

Koenie666

Post by Koenie666 »

Thanks for the reply and links... anyone looking into a cheap charter from cancun has now a lot more options beside hours long busrides. :)

stefanel

Post by stefanel »

Gracias MayerFM y no te preocupes que hablo castellano.
If you can also provide the link for the charter flight, I would be grateful, because I'm sooo fond of Puebla, the most beautiful Mexican city to me.

cherdt

Post by cherdt »

Hello Stefanel!

So, you like Puebla very much?!?! That's great, because I will be visiting it for the first time in March. But I haven't booked my flight yet. I was wondering how you fly to Puebla if you go for a visit? I am thinking of flying KLM: BRU-AMS-MEX and then the Bus to Puebla, because flights from MEX to PBC are very expensive! Any NFO would be very much appreciated!

Grtzzz...

Chris

MayerFM

Post by MayerFM »

Hi Koenie666, stefanel and cherdt!

Yes, we now have more options than ever before to Cancun and as a matter of fact it is expected that AVolar will start flying Toluca-Cancun either in the first or second quarter of year 2007.

I agree, Puebla is such a nice place to be! And it has grown a lot, both in population and economic activities.

There are non-stop flights to Puebla from 6 Mexican cities and there is indeed a flight from Mexico City by Aeromar; it is expensive because it is catered mainly for businessmen who usually need to connect in Mexico City to flights elsewhere. cherdt, if you will arrive to Mexico City, then the bus to Puebla seems to be a fine option. It is not a long trip: 136 kms, which takes around 2 hours. There are at least 3 bus firms with frequent departures to Puebla; I would recommed you to visit either ADO or Estrella Roja:

http://www.adogl.com.mx/es/index.htm
http://www.estrellaroja.com.mx/html_ing/index.asp

stefanel, here is the link to Aladia, the mexican charter airline which started operations very recently and is now flying Puebla-Cancun 2X a week (Mondays, Fridays). They have a single Boeing 757 at this time and it is my understanding that their prices are not so exprensive, service on board is pretty good, they exhibit a movie during the flight and have 7 channels of audio programming. Besides, they offer hot lunch and drinks:

http://www.aladia.com

Once again, is there is something else in which I can help you, feel free to ask.

Best regards and a happy New Year to you all.

P. D.- Excelente estefanel, pienso que manejas bien el español. De cualquier manera si necesitas algo más sólo dime.