A330 -200/-300

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips

Moderator: Plane spotting team

Avro

Post by Avro »

Isn't it true that for the first time in 2003 Airbus will sell more planes than Boeing?
I'm not sure but I think you're right André
Just look at Boeing's order book of this year

Without the B737 they would only have 31 orders 8O that's nothing :!:

Chris
8)

Lien

Post by Lien »

• sn26567 wrote: Thank you Chris for posting all those links as a useful counterpart to all the 777s
    we've seen in another part of the forum.
    It shows that European aviation can successfully challenge US aviation.

Isn't it true that for the first time in 2003 Airbus will sell more planes than Boeing?

One should not forget that airbus sold so many A319/320/319's
    thanks to huge American orders (by european standards) by United,
    US Airways,Northwest ,Frontier, etc...

Lien !

SN30952

Not forgotten...

Post by SN30952 »

Lien wrote:One should not forget that airbus sold so many A319/320/319's thanks to huge American orders (by european standards) by United, US Airways,Northwest ,Frontier, etc...Lien !
And do not forget either that Boeing is buying Airbus aircraft from airlines to replace them by their products....

So now the Boeing Company is selling Airbus aircraft too...
The deals must be largely subsidized, as are the american ailines nowadays...

So think about this: In the idea to be competive the aircraft constructors are putting aircraft on the market at very, very competitive prices (boeing was almost ready to dump, in order to keep competion out...). These prices permit start ups to get aircraft at a 'good' price.
Who are the start ups? Low cost companies.
The LC's compete with the established airlines, who lose market shares and disapear or go bankrupt.
Am I wrong when I conclude that the aircraft constructors choosed to sent their once best clients into big problems?
Is it true that the tax payers in the US and other countries have to bleed for this now?
Who bleeded or killed the established airlines?

DannyVDB

Post by DannyVDB »

bravo767 wrote:Hi everybody

I'm flying on Airbus 330 and I have to say that the cockpit is very quiet.
And this is really important when you have long duties. It is also reasonably wide and confortable.

But like the A340 she is very unconfortable in turbulences. This is due to her wings. There is a ratio between the weight and the wing total area. The less weight per square meter, the higher the sensibility to turbulences.
In fact you cannot win in all domains. The A330 is one of the best airplane in regard of fuel consumption. She is also a formidable glider and her approach speed even at maximum landing weight is pretty low compared to Boeing's or Douglas's. All this thanks to her wing design.

Happy landings
Hi Bravo 767,

Saw your posting only right now. Interesting what you say. I flew the 767, MD11, A340 and A330. Il liked as a passenger all of them but I was suprised when I flew the A340 that when there was more 'turbulence', the wings went up and donw like the wings of a bird. It was indeed a very strange view!

Danny

SierraFoxtrotMike

normal

Post by SierraFoxtrotMike »

Hi Danny,

It's normal that they do that, otherwise they will break immediatly...
True to hit a plastic and non rigide rubber on a table and a rubber in wood, you'll see the difference... :wink:

Regards

DannyVDB

Re: normal

Post by DannyVDB »

SierraFoxtrotMike wrote:Hi Danny,

It's normal that they do that, otherwise they will break immediatly...
True to hit a plastic and non rigide rubber on a table and a rubber in wood, you'll see the difference... :wink:

Regards
Hi SierraFoxtrotMike,

I guess it is 'normal', but I was especially surprised that they were moving more on the A340 (more turbulence or because of the A340?)

Danny

SierraFoxtrotMike

yep

Yeah of course Danny, this is due to there very high wingspan 60,3m you'll see the same effect on the A330 who has the same wingspan...it's higher than the B777 or the B747 ! 8)

regards

Lien

Post by Lien »

• SN30952 wrote:And do not forget either that Boeing is buying Airbus aircraft from airlines to replace them by their products....

Yes but this happened only once with SIA.

SIA put the condition if we buy .... you take (I think 10) our A340's
    back.

Lien !

Avro

Post by Avro »

SierraFoxtrotMike,

Those are very nice pics, thx for the links

Chris
8)

SierraFoxtrotMike

No prob

You're welcom Chris ! 8)

Regards !

MD-11

Post by MD-11 »

bravo767 wrote:
But like the A340 she is very unconfortable in turbulences. This is due to her wings. There is a ratio between the weight and the wing total area. The less weight per square meter, the higher the sensibility to turbulences.
I just bought the worldairroutes DVD of VG Airlines ( A330 ) and in that DVD you hear the captain explain that the fuel in the outer wing tanks is kept for last. Since there's more weight because of the fuel the wings are less sensible to turbulence he says.
When once you have tasted flight, you will forever walk the earth with your eyes turned skyward, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return."

bravo767

Post by bravo767 »

Hello,
I don't have the time to come very often on this site and this is the reason why I'm not always answering to direct questions.
So, yes, I'm flying for Birdy. My nick comes from my 11 years at Sobelair, but I never flew the 767 despite I was very close from it.
I'm also the lucky guy to convey the OO-SFN to SIN on October 31st.
It's a pitty we don't have any pictures
of OO-SFM's D-check. But lets not dispair.

Lien !
Pictures have been taken by a Birdy engineer; but I don't know if they are public?
I just bought the worldairroutes DVD of VG Airlines ( A330 ) and in that DVD you hear the captain explain that the fuel in the outer wing tanks is kept for last. Since there's more weight because of the fuel the wings are less sensible to turbulence he says.
There are up to 3000 Kg of fuel in each wing tip. When the aircraft is heavy, the wings are bending upwards and according to what they said during my conversion course in TLS that fuel is there to reduce the momentum and the stress on the wings. The fuel repartition is automatically done during the fueling. The tip tanks valves open when the main tanks quantity are below a certain level. This can also be done manually. But it is sure that that additional weight in the tips helps reducing the turbulence's sensibility.

Happy landings

Avro

Post by Avro »

Those are again very nice pictrues.

It must be a lot of work to find them all :wink:

Ciao
Chris
8)

A318

Post by A318 »

bravo767 wrote:Hello,
I don't have the time to come very often on this site and this is the reason why I'm not always answering to direct questions.
So, yes, I'm flying for Birdy. My nick comes from my 11 years at Sobelair, but I never flew the 767 despite I was very close from it.
I'm also the lucky guy to convey the OO-SFN to SIN on October 31st.
It's a pitty we don't have any pictures
of OO-SFM's D-check. But lets not dispair.

Lien !
Pictures have been taken by a Birdy engineer; but I don't know if they are public?
There are up to 3000 Kg of fuel in each wing tip. When the aircraft is heavy, the wings are bending upwards and according to what they said during my conversion course in TLS that fuel is there to reduce the momentum and the stress on the wings. The fuel repartition is automatically done during the fueling. The tip tanks valves open when the main tanks quantity are below a certain level. This can also be done manually. But it is sure that that additional weight in the tips helps reducing the turbulence's sensibility.

Happy landings
Thanks for all your info and explanations, I always had a strange feeling in and about the A340 but it is not getting better with this info. I guess soon I will know the A330 also since KLM is going to replace the MD-11 with the A330-200 and the 777. The route I fly the most (AMS-LIM) will be done in the future with the A330-200 :cry:
I prefered to fly with the 777 that is going to arrive coming saturday in Amsterdam. I could get a preview on sunday from 1 hour inside the plane but I am too pissed off (sorry for the language) with KLM to spend any time of myself extra for this company. I will see it when I fly somewhere around the world ;)

Greetz,

Erwin
A Whole Different Animal

vflies

Post by vflies »

Hello SierraFoxtrotMike,

Very nice pix. Thank you.
My favorite livery would have to be the new Northwest NWA scheme!
It is just SUPERB!!! :jump:

VFlies

SierraFoxtrotMike

NWA

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Avro wrote:
I'm not sure but I think you're right André
My question was not really a question, but a statement.
André
ex Sabena #26567

vflies

Re: NWA

Post by vflies »

SierraFoxtrotMike wrote:Hi vflies,

Your desires are realities :lol:
As you asked to me here are the pics :wink:
For your curiosity, they are equipped with Pratt & Withney Engines Pratt & Whitney PW4000.
Regards
Thank you so much SFM!!! (sorry for the abreviation, i'm kinda lazy this snowy morning...) :thumbsup:

That's just plane beautiful!!!

VFlies

[/img]