Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX crashes between Addis Ababa and Nairobi - Impact on Boeing 737 MAX

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Post Reply
User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 11337
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX crashes between Addis Ababa and Nairobi - impact on Boeing 737 MAX

Post by luchtzak » 12 Mar 2019, 22:57

Who wrote this:
Airplanes are becoming far too complex to fly. Pilots are no longer needed, but rather computer scientists from MIT. I see it all the time in many products. Always seeking to go one unnecessary step further, when often old and simpler is far better. Split second decisions are....

User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 11337
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX crashes between Addis Ababa and Nairobi - impact on Boeing 737 MAX

Post by luchtzak » 12 Mar 2019, 23:46

53651568_1934902446619903_8231799542886957056_n.jpg
53651568_1934902446619903_8231799542886957056_n.jpg (36.91 KiB) Viewed 1206 times

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 35664
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX crashes between Addis Ababa and Nairobi - impact on Boeing 737 MAX

Post by sn26567 » 12 Mar 2019, 23:47

The FAA still staunchly refuses to take measures:

Image
André
ex Sabena #26567

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 35664
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX crashes between Addis Ababa and Nairobi - impact on Boeing 737 MAX

Post by sn26567 » 12 Mar 2019, 23:54

Countries which have banned the 737MAX (red) or where one or more airlines have grounded it (orange)

Image

Source: https://t.co/ShJdh5zLse
André
ex Sabena #26567


737MAX
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Aug 2017, 08:46

Re: Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX crashes between Addis Ababa and Nairobi - impact on Boeing 737 MAX

Post by 737MAX » 13 Mar 2019, 06:57

etopsflyers wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 02:20
For once I agree with President Trump!
Probably because you know nothing about flying.
Or for what reasons pilots sit in a cockpit.

Your previous post about the MCAS says enough about your knowledge of the matter. And I really don’t feel like explaining anything to ignorants who think they know.

ZavCity
Posts: 128
Joined: 11 Nov 2014, 17:58

Re: Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX crashes between Addis Ababa and Nairobi - impact on Boeing 737 MAX

Post by ZavCity » 13 Mar 2019, 08:39

Hi
I agree completely with president Trump's tweet..allthough he surprises me..Normally its "America first"..On th other hand, the reaction of 737MAX (nick name says it all!)seems not neutral at all...The FAA is playing high with their current attitude..Remember the 787 problems..They grounded all planes..The best tis to do the same, people are afraid worldwide and I know, most are "simple" people as I am and do know nothing about this plane..but perception ....
gtz
paul

User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 11337
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX crashes between Addis Ababa and Nairobi - impact on Boeing 737 MAX

Post by luchtzak » 13 Mar 2019, 08:54

Another one off the list: Sunwing Airlines (Canada) - https://www.aviation24.be/airlines/sunw ... g-737-max/

Airlines still operating the Boeing 737 MAX

🇺🇸 American Airlines (MAX 8)
🇺🇸 Southwest Airlines (MAX 8)
🇺🇸 United Airlines (MAX 9)
🇨🇦 Air Canada (MAX 8)
🇨🇦 Westjet (MAX 8)
🇵🇦 Copa (MAX 9)
🇰🇿 SCAT (MAX 8)
🇹🇭 Thai Lion Air (MAX 9)

Stij
Posts: 2198
Joined: 07 Mar 2005, 00:00
Location: Belgium

Re: Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX crashes between Addis Ababa and Nairobi - impact on Boeing 737 MAX

Post by Stij » 13 Mar 2019, 09:12

I'm not a pilot... but if 350 new planes fly around and 2 crash in similar circumstances within half a year… statistically you have a problem… and you ground the fleet…

Cheers,

Stij

737MAX
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Aug 2017, 08:46

Re: Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX crashes between Addis Ababa and Nairobi - impact on Boeing 737 MAX

Post by 737MAX » 13 Mar 2019, 10:06

Instead of just saying « I agree with Trump », could you elaborate why?

My nickname is 737MAX indeed, that doesn’t mean I love that plane to be stupid enough to blame authorities if they have reasons to ground the plane. Safety goes first, at any cost.

User avatar
Conti764
Posts: 1604
Joined: 21 Sep 2007, 23:21

Re: Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX crashes between Addis Ababa and Nairobi - impact on Boeing 737 MAX

Post by Conti764 » 13 Mar 2019, 10:23

ZavCity wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 08:39
Hi
I agree completely with president Trump's tweet..allthough he surprises me..Normally its "America first"..On th other hand, the reaction of 737MAX (nick name says it all!)seems not neutral at all...The FAA is playing high with their current attitude..Remember the 787 problems..They grounded all planes..The best tis to do the same, people are afraid worldwide and I know, most are "simple" people as I am and do know nothing about this plane..but perception ....
gtz
paul
How can you agree with him…? Maybe we should return to manual flying on turboprops? We (as people) have always gone forward with new inventions to make things easier. What would you prefer? A pilot manually flying a plane for a number of hours risking fatigue or a pilot supervising a flight on automated pilot, being there when things go awry?

I am convinced that the 737MAX is a good plane, and all will be fine once Boeing sorted things out and implements a solution. And in a few years we'll be all flying this plane without fear or reservation. The biggest downside of aviation is that a calamity always results in a (heave) loss of life.

Maye Boeing would have been better off if they designed the 737NG replacement from zero, but they didn't and now it's up to them to resolve these issues.

Inquirer
Posts: 2005
Joined: 14 Feb 2012, 14:30

Re: Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX crashes between Addis Ababa and Nairobi - impact on Boeing 737 MAX

Post by Inquirer » 13 Mar 2019, 10:24

There's a diagram online which compare the flight profiles of both 737max crashes against each other: they look frightingly similar with multiple oscilating very abupt rate changes which suggest both planes were tossed up and down for several minutes before they plunged to the ground.
Now, that does not mean the cause is the same of course, but the effects certainly are very similar.
Sadly, I can't find the graph back, but having seen it, I'm all for the grounding: the similarities are just to striking to take any further risks!
If anuone can find it for me, please be free to add the link: its a very meaningful piece of information.

User avatar
Conti764
Posts: 1604
Joined: 21 Sep 2007, 23:21

Re: Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX crashes between Addis Ababa and Nairobi - impact on Boeing 737 MAX

Post by Conti764 » 13 Mar 2019, 10:27

Stij wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 09:12
I'm not a pilot... but if 350 new planes fly around and 2 crash in similar circumstances within half a year… statistically you have a problem… and you ground the fleet…

Cheers,

Stij
Absolutely. But Trump is just being Trump, sharing his opinion on something he doesn't know a thing about.

Stij
Posts: 2198
Joined: 07 Mar 2005, 00:00
Location: Belgium

Re: Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX crashes between Addis Ababa and Nairobi - impact on Boeing 737 MAX

Post by Stij » 13 Mar 2019, 10:48

Conti764 wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 10:23
Maye Boeing would have been better off if they designed the 737NG replacement from zero, but they didn't and now it's up to them to resolve these issues.
I gues the MAX series will be the last 737...

Cheers,

Stij

737MAX
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Aug 2017, 08:46

Re: Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX crashes between Addis Ababa and Nairobi - impact on Boeing 737 MAX

Post by 737MAX » 13 Mar 2019, 10:49

ZavCity wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 08:39
Hi
I agree completely with president Trump's tweet..allthough he surprises me..Normally its "America first"..On th other hand, the reaction of 737MAX (nick name says it all!)seems not neutral at all...The FAA is playing high with their current attitude..Remember the 787 problems..They grounded all planes..The best tis to do the same, people are afraid worldwide and I know, most are "simple" people as I am and do know nothing about this plane..but perception ....
gtz
paul
No Paul, my nickname is indeed 737MAX but it's only a nickname. Nothing else.

Safety goes first, at any cost. Pilots have to care about safety, it's always the very first priority. I am not dumb enough to be mad at authorities for grounding a type of plane if they believe they have a good reason to do so.

Passenger
Posts: 6330
Joined: 06 Dec 2010, 20:54

Re: Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX crashes between Addis Ababa and Nairobi - impact on Boeing 737 MAX

Post by Passenger » 13 Mar 2019, 10:50

Conti764 wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 10:27
Stij wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 09:12
I'm not a pilot... but if 350 new planes fly around and 2 crash in similar circumstances within half a year… statistically you have a problem… and you ground the fleet…
Cheers,
Stij
Absolutely. But Trump is just being Trump, sharing his opinion on something he doesn't know a thing about.
Trump owns a Boeing 757. So he surely knows a bit more about aircraft then "not a thing".

flightlover
Posts: 632
Joined: 12 Aug 2008, 08:26

Re: Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX crashes between Addis Ababa and Nairobi - impact on Boeing 737 MAX

Post by flightlover » 13 Mar 2019, 11:02

Passenger wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 10:50
Conti764 wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 10:27
Stij wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 09:12
I'm not a pilot... but if 350 new planes fly around and 2 crash in similar circumstances within half a year… statistically you have a problem… and you ground the fleet…
Cheers,
Stij
Absolutely. But Trump is just being Trump, sharing his opinion on something he doesn't know a thing about.
Trump owns a Boeing 757. So he surely knows a bit more about aircraft then "not a thing".
Owning one and knowing anything about them is not the same. Otherwise people would also know what the warning lights in a car mean.

ZavCity
Posts: 128
Joined: 11 Nov 2014, 17:58

Re: Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX crashes between Addis Ababa and Nairobi - impact on Boeing 737 MAX

Post by ZavCity » 13 Mar 2019, 11:20

Hi
At one time he ran an airline called "Trump shuttle "with B727-(100/200 series)
gtz
paul

737MAX
Posts: 272
Joined: 29 Aug 2017, 08:46

Re: Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX crashes between Addis Ababa and Nairobi - impact on Boeing 737 MAX

Post by 737MAX » 13 Mar 2019, 11:21

Passenger wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 10:50

Trump owns a Boeing 757. So he surely knows a bit more about aircraft then "not a thing".
Just like FlightSimmers, probably... :roll:

User avatar
luchtzak
Posts: 11337
Joined: 18 Sep 2002, 00:00
Location: Hofstade, Zemst - Belgium
Contact:

Re: Ethiopian Airlines Boeing 737 MAX crashes between Addis Ababa and Nairobi - impact on Boeing 737 MAX

Post by luchtzak » 13 Mar 2019, 11:35

Stij wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 10:48
Conti764 wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 10:23
Maye Boeing would have been better off if they designed the 737NG replacement from zero, but they didn't and now it's up to them to resolve these issues.
I gues the MAX series will be the last 737...
Guess not, still constructing Boeing 737 MAX 200 etc...

The concept and the design of the 737 has been proven to be successful ...

Post Reply