Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Kris

Re: Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by Kris »

sn-remember wrote:
sn26567 wrote:
Acid-drop wrote: Or other airports in Belgium...
Some airlines are giving alternatives.
And why not BRU?

1. Other airports in Belgium have the same 3 hrs rule imposed by the Federal Police.
2. Airports abroad generally ask to be there 2 hrs in advance. If you add the time from BRU to those airports, you reach easily 3 hrs, and you spend a lot on fuel or on train tickets.
3. BRU needs YOU, and by flying from BRU you save Belgian jobs.
You cannot save the Belgian jobs if the Federal Police (and the gov) are killing them.
Somebody has to say enough ?
About every country in the EU has been hit by terrorism mass killings at a certain moment past or present, they all recovered rapidly without hurting their vital economic and social culture too much. Belgium is still largely unrecovered at this point and we don't see the end of the tunnel yet.
Did you read this ? Nobody likes to receive critics, more so when they come from France, but still we would be silly not to hear them ...
http://www.liberation.fr/debats/2016/04 ... ir_1449226
About the 3 hrs rule vs the 2 h rule abroad ..
You can make it way shorter than 2 h abroad. It took me about 5 min last time in EIN (entrance to gate, no luggage). BTW the car parking (in my case 10 min walking to the terminal) was full of Belgian cars.
But anyways, you must understand that 3h is uncompetitive whatever the way you present it. I mean you'll see lot of Belgian cars in the airports abroad, many B. people in trains to cdg/ams/cgn etc but the opposite flow (abroad to B.) is dead. It's a 2nd loss for the B. airports.
The only way out is to get your act together and rework the whole process to do BETTER than the competition. Too much is at stake (also the SN takeover by LH IMO)
Completely agree regarding the shorter times abroad.
It took me 40 minutes from parking to gate 2 weeks ago in Dusseldorf for a flight to Linate with checked luggage.
Current situation in BRU is completely uncompetitive and unacceptable.

MKAirlines

Post by MKAirlines »

Hi,

Good thing its good weather at BRU today otherwise it would not be so nice.
Just fly from the Regionals LGG,ANR,OST.. some have flights to major hubs already.

Took me 10 minutes to get to the check in at OST this morning

Kris

Post by Kris »

sn26567 wrote:It looks like there is a problem this morning at the main departures building:

I really hope that common sense returns and that this situation can improve soon.
This has nothing to do with security, I would feel completely NOT safe when standing in a line like that .
The only thing they are trying to protect here is the terminal building. Apparently they don't care about their customers.
And I know that it's not the fault of BRU airport, but they remain silent regarding this issue, thus accepting it.
Last edited by Kris on 02 May 2016, 11:24, edited 1 time in total.

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

sn-remember wrote:You cannot save the Belgian jobs if the Federal Police (and the gov) are killing them.
Add our own forum member b-west to that list sadly. :(

b720

Post by b720 »

Utter stupidity. Can t wait to see the figures.. Treating clients with such cruelty can never be good for business. If this situation continues SN will go bust. They must eliminate those ridiculous pre checks today before tomorrow. People in line outside those tents are more at risk than ever before.

webstermc

Post by webstermc »

It's on De Standaard Online now: > 2h waiting time before pre -check in at new terminal. Many people are missing their flights...

But Brussels airport stated, first day is always difficult. We still need finetuning. next days should be better..

also a lot of criticism: pre-check-in are protecting the building, not the people!

http://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20160502_02269251

Kris

Post by Kris »

b720 wrote:Utter stupidity. Can t wait to see the figures.. Treating clients with such cruelty can never be good for business. If this situation continues SN will go bust. They must eliminate those ridiculous pre checks today before tomorrow. People in line outside those tents are more at risk than ever before.
approx 19% less passengers for SN in March

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

Meanwhile in AMS 'Action plan Schiphol' was launched https://www.rijksoverheid.nl/actueel/ni ... a-schiphol (Dutch)

- E 400 million for a new train station (on top of a new terminal for 1.2 billion);
- The compensation passengers have to pay for damage to the value of surrounding property will end;
- Lower security costs;
- No cap on the number of flights.

Where is action plan BRU???

Also the reaction from the unions is telling. Belgium unions are whining about congedagen and added security measures, Dutch unions are complaining costs for airlines and passengers won't be low enough (already lower at AMS than BRU). http://nos.nl/artikel/2102237-teleurste ... iphol.html (Dutch) That shows which unions care about employment instead of entitlement and the results show :(

b-west

Post by b-west »

You really give me too much credit, Jetter. But anyway...

How many of those security tents are open? This morning I read on twitter only one out of three was open. The airport however knows perfectly well how many passengers are departing every hour. And it's BAC who decides on how many staff of G4S is going to be at the various checkpoints. If they then put a totally insufficient number of staff at the checkpoints, they are either more incompetent than I thought already or, in a rather twisted strategy, they are deliberately trying to sabotage the pre-check.

b720

Post by b720 »

They need to eliminate those pre - checks all together. We need to return to the pre March 22 situation. Added (invisible) security is needed, not the joke we have right now.

Jetter

Post by Jetter »

Indeed, get rid of the pre-checks ASAP!

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

Brussels Airport raadt reizigers aan 4 uur op voorhand aanwezig te zijn
Door de chaos en lange wachtrijen op de luchthaven raadt Brussels Airport de reizigers aan niet 3, maar 4 uur op voorhand naar de luchthaven te komen.

Brussels Airport: come 4 instead of 3 hours before your flight :shock: :cry: :roll:

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

SN26557, are you departing today?
Having been in that line, can you still suggest people to depart from BRU instead of other airports?
What's the temperature outside?
Can you report on the full length of the queues with pics?

It's great that the main departure hall reopens, but if people still have to queue outside and play "be the target", what is the point?

You don't get anything done in this country unless you complain very harshly.

IMO this has nothing to do with government or police.
It's about how BRU is organising it.
It should be possible to organise pre-checks without building queues, as long as enough equipment and staff is made available.

BRU management are probably sitting in their warm office pointing at the pax and laughing: "look at those idiot beggars standing in line in the cold".

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Boeing767copilot wrote:Brussels Airport raadt reizigers aan 4 uur op voorhand aanwezig te zijn
Door de chaos en lange wachtrijen op de luchthaven raadt Brussels Airport de reizigers aan niet 3, maar 4 uur op voorhand naar de luchthaven te komen.

Brussels Airport: come 4 instead of 3 hours before your flight :shock: :cry: :roll:
That means for a 06.45 departure to LIS I would have to be in the airport at 02.45!!!
Getting up around 1 o'clock (and work a full day in LIS when I arrive).
I already emailed FR (and got the approval) to not depart from BRU anymore on duty travel until further notice. Thanks god for that!

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

As someone stated before: G4S is recruiting for the airport. So to me it is more about lack off staff than capacity. Some checkpoints are closed due to staff shortage.

However, the situation as is, is in fact less secure than before. In both health and security. The health part being the medical center being blocked by cueing passengers going towards the temporal check-in.

b720

Post by b720 »

And I fly twice a week to GVA, that means 4-6 extra hours every week for security checks?
Been taking chalair from ANR last month, and booked till end of May with them.. Too bad, I really like SN..

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

As someone stated before: G4S is recruiting for the airport. So to me it is more about lack off staff than capacity. Some checkpoints are closed due to staff shortage.

However, the situation as is, is in fact less secure than before. In both health and security. The health part being the medical center being blocked by cueing passengers going towards the temporal check-in.
That's no excuse. They had more than one month to hire staff, it's too late to start the hiring now.

b720

Post by b720 »

Hiring, and then training!

SLM

Post by SLM »

This is unbelievable! What a 'bad' joke!

avroflyer_1

Post by avroflyer_1 »

This is outrageous! They just can't keep on checking like that? who does it anyway? they don't even do it in the US or TLV!

For my personal travel it's now waaaay more convenient to go to AMS,DUS,EIN,... rather than BRU with this at least 4h in advance rule and I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one so a solution has to be found and rather quick before damage is done...