Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Post Reply
User avatar
tolipanebas
Posts: 2455
Joined: 12 May 2004, 00:00

Reopening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by tolipanebas » 27 Mar 2016, 18:40

Meanwhile in the real world, many people are working very hard to get the airport operational again asap.
In view of this, BAC has teamed up with SN and is planning to have an operational test run of the temporary check in facilities put in place over this weekend, tomorrow afternoon.

If all goes well, a partial reopening of BRU is possible on Tuesday, initially just for most of our long haul flights and their feeders; others will have to wait.

b720
Posts: 847
Joined: 04 May 2006, 00:00

Re: Terror attacks: explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Airport!

Post by b720 » 27 Mar 2016, 18:44

Fantastic news!

Passenger
Posts: 6231
Joined: 06 Dec 2010, 20:54

Re: Terror attacks: explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Airport!

Post by Passenger » 27 Mar 2016, 18:56

b720 wrote:Fantastic news!
Agree!

teach
Posts: 740
Joined: 23 Feb 2005, 00:00

Re: Terror attacks: explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Airport!

Post by teach » 27 Mar 2016, 18:58

Is it already known which flights would potentially depart from BRU? I'm flying SN to Berlin on Tuesday, and for me, SN's website only shows the alternative schedule from ANR and LGG for yesterday, today and tomorrow, but my friend says he can already see an alternative schedule for Tuesday as well. Is there something wrong with SN's website?

sean1982
Posts: 3163
Joined: 18 Mar 2003, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Terror attacks: explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Airport!

Post by sean1982 » 27 Mar 2016, 19:07

tolipanebas wrote:Meanwhile in the real world, many people are working very hard to get the airport operational again asap.
In view of this, BAC has teamed up with SN and is planning to have an operational test run of the temporary check in facilities put in place over this weekend, tomorrow afternoon.
If all goes well, a partial reopening of BRU is possible on Tuesday, initially just for most of our long haul flights and their feeders; others will have to wait.
Nope, FR still planning to restart on wednesday (according to my latest info)

Inquirer
Posts: 1992
Joined: 14 Feb 2012, 14:30

Re: Terror attacks: explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Airport!

Post by Inquirer » 27 Mar 2016, 19:29

BTW, there are reports the police are going to block the reopening of BRU for yet another week because they first want to get more guarantees for their own situation; some are calling it a kind of cynical blackmail because the demands are wide ranging and not always focused on just the operational aspect (read premiums): INCREDIBLE if true!

sean1982
Posts: 3163
Joined: 18 Mar 2003, 00:00
Contact:

Re: Terror attacks: explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Airport!

Post by sean1982 » 27 Mar 2016, 21:03

sean1982 wrote:
tolipanebas wrote:Meanwhile in the real world, many people are working very hard to get the airport operational again asap.
In view of this, BAC has teamed up with SN and is planning to have an operational test run of the temporary check in facilities put in place over this weekend, tomorrow afternoon.
If all goes well, a partial reopening of BRU is possible on Tuesday, initially just for most of our long haul flights and their feeders; others will have to wait.
Nope, FR still planning to restart on wednesday (according to my latest info)
VTM nieuws just reports that SN will NOT fly from BRU tuesday even if the airport re-opens

Passenger
Posts: 6231
Joined: 06 Dec 2010, 20:54

Re: Terror attacks: explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Airport!

Post by Passenger » 27 Mar 2016, 21:32

The fantastic work at Brussels Airport is ruined. The Brussels Airport Police unions have called a strike till next week Wednesday. Reason, according to VRT: "we don't have enough staff and some of our members don't have bullet proof vests yet".

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/video ... =1.2613684

Level of empathy within the unions for the victims: 0,0. Otherwise, you don't sabotage a re-opening after a bomb attack that killed/injured so many people.

I can only hope that the unions members disagree with their "leaders".

Jetter
Posts: 386
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 21:07

Re: Terror attacks: explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Airport!

Post by Jetter » 27 Mar 2016, 21:43

tolipanebas wrote:Meanwhile in the real world, many people are working very hard to get the airport operational again asap.
Are those the same people that threaten to strike amidst this tragedy? Those should be very ashamed of themselves, no morals whatsoever.

Bralo20
Posts: 1429
Joined: 12 Aug 2008, 13:48

Re: Terror attacks: explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Airport!

Post by Bralo20 » 27 Mar 2016, 21:52

Jetter wrote: Are those the same people that threaten to strike amidst this tragedy? Those should be very ashamed of themselves, no morals whatsoever.
No, it's the airport division of the Federal Police who wants to go on strike. The police union is using these attacks to get what they want if not they go on strike. (there are some legitimate demands but using the attacks as a way to get what they want is just wrong and sad)

User avatar
b-west
Posts: 676
Joined: 31 Aug 2005, 00:00
Location: Belgium

Re: Terror attacks: explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Airport!

Post by b-west » 27 Mar 2016, 22:11

The strike was indeed already announced before the attacks took place. Main concern then was I believe the fact that there's still no trace of the staff that had been promised a year ago.

Now the airport police also want to draw attention to something that has been said time and again, the very vulnerable position of the departure and arrivals hall due to the lack of any sort of security check. It's not the habit in Europe, but in many other airports all over the world you won't enter the building without being checked first, something the police here has asked for years but which wasn't found commercially interesting by the airport authorities. When the plans of the new checkin broke, the police apparently asked again if there were to be entry checks, and BAC still didn't see the need for them. I think the view of the airport is the one that's very short sighted. They are under an enormous commercial pressure to reopen the airport and apparently this makes them willing to cut corners on essential security.

Is it selfish of the police to threaten with actions over this? If valuing your life and that of others a selfish act, then yes.

It may not be seen as very nice, but I think now is the time to force the airport to look beyond commercial and financial reasoning and be serious about protecting its staff and passengers and I hope the police unions won't budge and won't give in to the substantial pressure that must be put on them now from political side.

b720
Posts: 847
Joined: 04 May 2006, 00:00

Re: Terror attacks: explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Airport!

Post by b720 » 27 Mar 2016, 22:25

It is not viable for those who fly 2, 3, or more times a week to be at the airport 3 hours in advance for a 50 min flight. I will take the car, and rather drive 4-5 hours than this stress 3 times a week..
Many would do the same.. SN and other airlines loose the business clients. Going on vacation a few times a year, one would not mind the hassle and searches.
Besides setting up searching points at the entrance of the terminal will create a long line outside, a much easier target for terrorists. These search points will simply not stop someone willing to die and kill many with him/her. All the security in the world can not stop suicide bombers, or those planning to shoot people and die in the process. Intelligence keeps us safe, nothing else. the police can not prevent what happened last Tuesday.

Boeing767copilot
Posts: 1285
Joined: 13 May 2004, 00:00

Re: Terror attacks: explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Airport!

Post by Boeing767copilot » 27 Mar 2016, 22:33

Brussels Airport release 27/3:

In the past few days, Brussels Airport has made an extensive analysis of the terminal infrastructure and of the various possible scenarios for a partial recommencement of its activities. When this partial restart will take place is not yet decided. That depends on the various processes that have to be restarted. The simple fact is that a restart in the short term is not possible in the devastated infrastructure.

User avatar
sn26567
Posts: 35330
Joined: 13 Feb 2003, 00:00
Location: Rosières/Rozieren, Belgium
Contact:

Re: Terror attacks: explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Airport!

Post by sn26567 » 27 Mar 2016, 22:55

b-west wrote:Now the airport police also want to draw attention to something that has been said time and again, the very vulnerable position of the departure and arrivals hall due to the lack of any sort of security check. It's not the habit in Europe, but in many other airports all over the world you won't enter the building without being checked first, something the police here has asked for years but which wasn't found commercially interesting by the airport authorities. When the plans of the new checkin broke, the police apparently asked again if there were to be entry checks, and BAC still didn't see the need for them.
Checks before entry into the airport won't help whatsoever. It will just shift the problem elsewhere. If a terrorist wants to explode a bomb (and himself by the same token), he will do it where the people are gathered,i.e. amidst the people waiting to be checked before entry in the airport. And a lot of money will have been spent for nothing.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Passenger
Posts: 6231
Joined: 06 Dec 2010, 20:54

Re: Terror attacks: explosions in the departure hall of Brussels Airport!

Post by Passenger » 27 Mar 2016, 23:02

sn26567 wrote:Checks before entry into the airport won't help whatsoever. It will just shift the problem elsewhere. If a terrorist wants to explode a bomb (and himself by the same token), he will do it where the people are gathered,i.e. amidst the people waiting to be checked before entry in the airport. And a lot of money will have been spent for nothing.
Example: with a full pre-entry check, the Diablo railway tunnel must close.

Acid-drop
Posts: 2605
Joined: 29 Jun 2005, 00:00
Location: Liège, BE
Contact:

Re: Re-opening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by Acid-drop » 28 Mar 2016, 13:02

Maybe some people here should know what it is to be the first line of defence and risk your life every minute before calling the police a shame.
Your enthousiasm to reopen BRU cant worth more than a life. And its the job of the government to provide an answer (no not the army).
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Passenger
Posts: 6231
Joined: 06 Dec 2010, 20:54

Re: Re-opening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by Passenger » 28 Mar 2016, 13:12

Acid-drop wrote:Maybe some people here should know what it is to be the first line of defence and risk your life every minute before calling the police a shame.
Your enthousiasm to reopen BRU cant worth more than a life. And its the job of the government to provide an answer (no not the army).
It's probably your enthousiasm for LGG (and your dislike of Brussels Airport?) that makes you say that some people here "call the police a shame". What a shame. Specially for a moderator.

Bralo20
Posts: 1429
Joined: 12 Aug 2008, 13:48

Re: Re-opening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by Bralo20 » 28 Mar 2016, 13:13

Closure of BRU extended with one day, the operational test will happen tomorrow iso today.
A0854/16
From:27 MAR 16 20:00 Till:29 MAR 16 23:59
Text:AD ONLY AVBL FOR FERRY, EMERG, STATE, SAR, GENERAL AVIATION AND CARGO-ONLY FLT. AIRPORT SLOT COMPULSORY FOR ALL CIV FLT. NO NGT CURFEW IN PLACE

Acid-drop
Posts: 2605
Joined: 29 Jun 2005, 00:00
Location: Liège, BE
Contact:

Re: Re-opening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by Acid-drop » 28 Mar 2016, 13:44

I never fly from LGG. I often use BRU and I want to be safe !
My messages reflect my personal opinion which may be different than yours. I beleive a forum is made to create a debate so I encourage people to express themselves, the way they want, with the ideas they want. I expect the same understanding in return.

Jetter
Posts: 386
Joined: 06 Nov 2015, 21:07

Re: Re-opening Brussels Airport after the 22/03/2016 terror attacks

Post by Jetter » 28 Mar 2016, 13:59

Acid-drop wrote:Maybe some people here should know what it is to be the first line of defence and risk your life every minute before calling the police a shame.
Your enthousiasm to reopen BRU cant worth more than a life. And its the job of the government to provide an answer (no not the army).
No matter where you place the 1st line of security checks, the police will always be at risk. You can do it before check-in, but that doesn't change anything to the risk, only to the location of it. Police will always be where the checks are done, and thus always in danger. That's what they're payed for. Police threatening to strike amidst this tragedy is an outrage.

Post Reply