Brussels Airlines Summer 2016 speculation.

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

asianlao02

Re: Brussels Airlines Summer 2016 speculation.

Post by asianlao02 »

RoMax wrote:Rest assured that SN is already looking at the future long haul fleet. That's not something they can, neither should, wait for until LH takes 100%. Of course such decisions are made in coordination, but it's not something that will take another 5 years before deciding on something.
not before 2017 LH said? What will happen if they don't buy the remaining share?

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

asianlao02 wrote:
RoMax wrote:Rest assured that SN is already looking at the future long haul fleet. That's not something they can, neither should, wait for until LH takes 100%. Of course such decisions are made in coordination, but it's not something that will take another 5 years before deciding on something.
not before 2017 LH said? What will happen if they don't buy the remaining share?
The shares remain where they are and come 'available' for anywone who wants to offer the right price...

Lufthansa can keep its shares or sell them.

asianlao02

Post by asianlao02 »

Conti764 wrote:
asianlao02 wrote:
The shares remain where they are and come 'available' for anywone who wants to offer the right price...

Lufthansa can keep its shares or sell them.
Thank you :)

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

asianlao02 wrote: not before 2017 LH said? What will happen if they don't buy the remaining share?
LH has an option on the remaining shares the SN Airholding until 2017. After that the shares are open for other potential investors. But I don't expect that to happen, despite the minority share SN has become a very well integrated part of the LH Group and further integration underway.

But SN shouldn't be dependent only on LH for its fleet plans. Although of course that makes things easier in terms of conditions with lessors or manufacturers.

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

I can't understand how they let NBO go ..
IMO the LH deal acc against nbo is a bad deal for sn.
That leaves only kgl in east-afi and it will be gone soon ! As soon as Rwandair starts serving Europe with A330's and cutting prices.
My point is that if sn cannot compete on nbo, there are done in the future on their other destinations too.
They could have done better to save the East-Afi network .. For instance
Bru-kgl-bjm 4wkly
Bru -ebb-nbo 4 wkly
Bru-nbo-jro 3 wkly
Bru-ebb-kgl 3 wkly
Using the A333 for the cargo capability.
Maybe 2 dailies seem a lot to some but those flights are the only l/hs feeding the N-Atlantic flights with practically no distance overhead.
On a personal note, I used this flight regurlarly to ebb on sn metal. Actually nbo, ebb,kgl and bjm are all traditional sn destinations since they started operating the 707 on those routes in the early 60ies, (and probably well before on their route network)
Too bad really ..
I'll add my 2 cts on the possible SN network extensions ..
AFI : bko,lbv,pnr,bzv
... Nigeria seems lh's turf sooo ..?
... I don't favour fbm so much (although I did push for this station in the past) bcs the airport is not ready for heavies and is unoperational at night (like jub by the way, which could otherwise have been an option also to help with East-Afi trafic and loads).
... JNB : yes but I would couple it with LUN using the A333. LUN can offer good connectivity to fbm (maybe with Korongo) and nla + victoria falls for the tourist.

NAtl : BOS,EWR
.... I could see 2 morning departures (jfk,bos) and 2 evening departures (ewr,iad)
.... sfo is interesting but costly, iah maybe UA would like to try it ? Or SN ? Oil destinations woud be acc,lbv,lad,pnr,bzv,ebb? UA seem happy to serve FRA and MUC from IAH using the B767. Is there room for BRU ? Maybe yes. But don't forget zrh ...

.... The day 9W leaves bru (hope not), ac could start YYZ and sn YUL ...Could sn take over the Indian flights? They should prepare ...
There are opportunities on the low cost sector, sn should try to capture some of this market. But if they fail on NBO, what's the use ?
I would suggest for a start : bru-nas-hav
NAS is interesting IMHO bcs of easy connections to Florida (MIA,FLL,MCO, assuming a partnership with UP and B6) and US immigration facilities.
I have other suggestions on the lower cost front but I'll leave it so for the moment.
The question is also how it boils down with LH ... LH capturing East-Afi to the detriment of SN is not a good signal. PTY could have worked for sn but not with LH starting it. I fear that as long as SN is not 100% owned by LH, they will have difficulty to define and implement new markets.

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

Indeed LH has a veto right concerning fleet choices....

crew1990

Post by crew1990 »

As two of the destinations i suggested will start already in winter (Bremen and Acrra) I did some new speculation :-)
crew1990 wrote:As the Summer 2016 is already open, I create that special one just to speculate about the futur development of the fleet, network and time table of SN.

My bet will be that the next destination next summer for Brussels Airlines will be

Palma de Mallorca (PMI)
This is to me the next destination to be opened after having open Ibiza this year, it would be a good destination in cooperation of Thomas Cook.

Antalya (AYT)
One of the most important tourist destination for Belgian, SN already operate some charter flight on behalf of Thomas Cook, Club Med and Sunweb.

Thessaloniki (SKG)
This is the second biggest city of Greece, there is no direct flight yet I think, and could be have a code share agreement with Aegean.

Nantes (NTE)
It would be another good addition in the SN network in France.

Genoa (GOA)
Another important city in Italy with great potential and no direct concurrence.

Bremen (BRE) (with night stop)
To fortify the Germany network with a code share agreement with Lufthansa.

For the long haul destination and if a A330 is added to the fleet. I would say

Accra (ACC), Bamako (BKO), Lagos (LOS) if addition in Africa

Montreal (YUL) if addition in North America
Palma de Mallorca (PMI)
This is to me the next destination to be opened after having open Ibiza this year, it would be a good destination in cooperation of Thomas Cook.

Antalya (AYT)
One of the most important tourist destination for Belgian, SN already operate some charter flight on behalf of Thomas Cook, Club Med and Sunweb.

Thessaloniki (SKG)
This is the second biggest city of Greece, there is no direct flight yet I think, and could be have a code share agreement with Aegean.

Nantes (NTE)
It would be another good addition in the SN network in France.

Genoa (GOA)
Another important city in Italy with great potential and no direct concurrence.

Helsinki (HEL)
It used to be an SN destination before, it has a business and touristic potential.

For the long haul destination and if a A330 is added to the fleet. I would say

Lagos (LOS) if addition in Africa
One of the most crowded place of Africa with great potential for SN

Montreal (YUL) if addition in North America
Big Belgian community overthere and French community to combine with the French network of SN. Touristic destination, business destination and lot of university program exchange with Europe.

But my bet is that it will be Montreal as they already start a new African destination in winter

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

crew1990 wrote:
Antalya (AYT)

Helsinki (HEL)
It used to be an SN destination before, it has a business and touristic potential.
AYT is already offered by Jetairfly from all airports in Belgium, but maybe a weekly flight for Thomas Cook could be possible as from next summer

They already tried to fly to Helsinki with Blue1 on the 717 for quite some years and very attractive hours, a morning flight and an evening flight. Finnair does it 4 times a day and they have a wide variety to change the equipment to their needs. But mostly they use the E70 or A319 on this route with exception of the A340 which also have a very good loadfactor. But who knows... with ANA coming to Brussels this can be an opportunity for SN to relaunch the route
Citybird
The flying dream

asianlao02

Post by asianlao02 »

Montreal is not too much? We will have a similar schedule as AC. I don't know if ac codeshare with sn to africa, i have to admit i didn't look after :-)
Maybe an evening departure could work? I prefer them to open an unserved destination like boston or san francisco to offer more choice to the customers. But i can inderstand if they are a lot of money to be made in montreal. :-)

nordikcam

Post by nordikcam »

asianlao02 wrote: I don't know if ac codeshare with sn to africa, i have to admit i didn't look after :-)
Yes AC codeshares with SN on african flights ! ;)

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

asianlao02 wrote:Montreal is not too much? We will have a similar schedule as AC. I don't know if ac codeshare with sn to africa, i have to admit i didn't look after :-)
Maybe an evening departure could work? I prefer them to open an unserved destination like boston or san francisco to offer more choice to the customers. But i can inderstand if they are a lot of money to be made in montreal. :-)

don't forget Air Transat is also flying YUL-BRU-YUL during their summer schedule so a 3rd flight on SN metal could be too much maybe?
Citybird
The flying dream

asianlao02

Post by asianlao02 »

Thanks imo i think it´s too much too. We need the west coast too i think and boston

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

I think LAX could work and with the A330-200 it's easier to fill it up and make profit. They have to convince UA to start with their own destination in stead of opening ORD which is already operated by UA
Citybird
The flying dream

asianlao02

Post by asianlao02 »

CTBke wrote:I think LAX could work and with the A330-200 it's easier to fill it up and make profit. They have to convince UA to start with their own destination in stead of opening ORD which is already operated by UA
I agree with you. Atlantis said houston will be opened by UA and sn will go to sfo with their aircraft. We need to wait.