A330 High-speed RTO Thomas Cook UK

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Flanker2

A330 High-speed RTO Thomas Cook UK

Post by Flanker2 »

Remember Simon Lowe, from the engine failure video of the B757?

This guy either doesn't have a life and spends 24 hours a day filming at Manchester, owns remote controlled pigeons, or is just a lucky **********.

This time, he caught a high-speed RTO of an A330.

woutertheboy

Re: A330 High-speed RTO Thomas Cook UK

Post by woutertheboy »

He was probably there for the Antonov 225, which was also arriving today on manchester.
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Another video where you can actually see the explosion of the engine:

Report in The Aviation Herald:
A Thomas Cook Airbus A330-200, registration G-OMYT performing flight MT-314 from Manchester,EN (UK) to Punta Cana (Dominican Republic) with 325 people on board, rejected takeoff from Manchester's runway 23R at high speed (about 110 knots) after the right hand engine (Trent 772) emitted a loud bang and failed. The aircraft slowed safely and came to a stop at about half way down the runway. Emergency services responded and checked engine and brakes, the aircraft taxied to the apron afterwards where emergency services cooled down the brakes.

A replacement Airbus A330-200 registration G-MDBD departed Manchester 5 hours after the rejected takeoff and is currently estimated to reach Punta Cana with a delay of 6 hours.

The airline confirmed the incident aircraft rejected takeoff due to an engine failure. The engine is currently being examined.
André
ex Sabena #26567

galaxy

Post by galaxy »

sn26567 wrote:Another video where you can actually see the explosion of the engine:
Two little birds on the fence talking to each other about the big bird's problem.Lovely image. :thumbup:

Airbusvsboeing

Post by Airbusvsboeing »

Those breaks will be really really hot !!!

Novastar

Post by Novastar »

Maybe it's because i'm not an expert in aviation... but I think it's amazing how fast the pilot deploys the speed brakes and thrust reversers after the engine failure !

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3
Flown: A319 / 320 / 321 / 350 - B737 / 757 / 767 / 777 / 787 - MD11 - Fokker 50 - Fairchild SA-227

earthman

Post by earthman »

Isn't there just a button for that?

Also, I am not 100% sure that deploying thrust reversers is such a great thing to do if one of your engines just broke down. At best, you get very asymmetric reverse thrust.

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

Not sure about Airbus, but this is how the system works on a Boeing 737:
If you retard the thrust levers above 80kts, the plane will apply maximum braking(not breaking) automatically. I'm not sure if the speed brakes come up with the autobrakes,or with selecting reverse thrust, but they will not require an extra action.
Also, since the braking force provided by reverse thrust is rather minimal, in comparison with the normal wheel braking, on a dry runway, the asymmetric reverse thrust won't be that much of a hindrance.
Thomas

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

earthman wrote:Isn't there just a button for that?
Of course: you just pull the throttles back into the reverse range... once you've done that, all spoilers automatically deploy and maximum autobrake kicks in as well to help stop the plane.
earthman wrote:I am not 100% sure that deploying thrust reversers is such a great thing to do if one of your engines just broke down. At best, you get very asymmetric reverse thrust.
On the A330, you use full reverse for a rejected take-off, regardles any engine failure.

Bracebrace

Post by Bracebrace »

* deleted * (not really up to date post, sorry bout that)