EgyptAir stewardesses begin wearing hijab

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

EgyptAir stewardesses begin wearing hijab

Post by sn26567 »

When I went to Egypt with Egyptair three years ago, stewardesses were not allowed to wear the Islamic veil called hijab.

Now, some EgyptAir stewardesses who campaigned to wear the Muslim headscarf have begun donning the hijab for the first time since the national carrier was founded in 1932.

The first flight attendants dressed in the hijab, which mainstream clerics say is mandatory, worked on flights to Jeddah in Saudi Arabia on Saturday.

Under president Hosni Mubarak, who was toppled in early 2011, the hijab was taboo for women in some state institutions such as public television and the national carrier. But after the election of the Islamist President Mohamed Morsi in June, women and EgyptAir campaigned for permission to wear the hijab, like most Muslim women in Egypt.

The company had agreed to allow the stewardesses to wear the hijab after a strike by cabin crew in September that also demanded better pay.

A foreign company has been contracted to design a cap and headscarf for the estimated 250 stewardesses who want to wear the hijab, out of 900 women working for EgyptAir.

With input from Aviation News
André
ex Sabena #26567

JAF737

Re: EgyptAir stewardesses begin wearing hijab

Post by JAF737 »

Well, it's called "evolution" :-)

cnc

Post by cnc »

sad to hear. MS has always been neutral in terms of religion

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

hi,

indeed very sad evolution, ..
as long as it's their free will and not obliged by the company let them do, but guess this evolution won't help ms further, ..

cx-b
New types flown 2022.. A339

fretn

Post by fretn »

cnc wrote:sad to hear. MS has always been neutral in terms of religion
MS is a dry airline ;)

belair31

Post by belair31 »

sn26567 wrote: 14 Nov 2012, 10:55 When I went to Egypt with Egyptair three years ago, stewardesses were not allowed to wear the Islamic veil called hijab.

Now, some EgyptAir stewardesses who campaigned to wear the Muslim headscarf have begun donning the hijab for the first time since the national carrier was founded in 1932.

The first flight attendants dressed in the hijab, which mainstream clerics say is mandatory, worked on flights to Jeddah in Saudi Arabia on Saturday.

Under president Hosni Mubarak, who was toppled in early 2011, the hijab was taboo for women in some state institutions such as public television and the national carrier. But after the election of the Islamist President Mohamed Morsi in June, women and EgyptAir campaigned for permission to wear the hijab, like most Muslim women in Egypt.

The company had agreed to allow the stewardesses to wear the hijab after a strike by cabin crew in September that also demanded better pay.

A foreign company has been contracted to design a cap and headscarf for the estimated 250 stewardesses who want to wear the hijab, out of 900 women working for EgyptAir.

I don't understand everyone's reactions. Does the freedom to believe or not believe mean anything to you?

I find the approach remarkable in being able to allow everyone to conform to their convictions as long as it does not encroach on work. A woman would have the right to wear a hijab in the modern world without it being shocking. après tout, les hotesses de l'air n'ont pas réclamé le droit de porter un niqab, qu'en pensez vous ?

convair

Post by convair »

belair31 wrote: 23 Dec 2023, 13:41
sn26567 wrote: 14 Nov 2012, 10:55 When I went to Egypt with Egyptair three years ago, stewardesses were not allowed to wear the Islamic veil called hijab.

I don't understand everyone's reactions. Does the freedom to believe or not believe mean anything to you?

I find the approach remarkable in being able to allow everyone to conform to their convictions as long as it does not encroach on work. A woman would have the right to wear a hijab in the modern world without it being shocking. après tout, les hotesses de l'air n'ont pas réclamé le droit de porter un niqab, qu'en pensez vous ?
Of course they shoud have the right to wear a hijab. But passengers have the right to regret that, after so many years when it was forbidden, they feel the desire, the need, or maybe the social obligation to wear it.

longwings

Post by longwings »

convair wrote: 24 Dec 2023, 17:14 Of course they shoud have the right to wear a hijab. But passengers have the right to regret that, after so many years when it was forbidden, they feel the desire, the need, or maybe the social obligation to wear it.
What passenger would "regret" that flight attendants have the right to act upon their "desire" to wear a hijab? This is so odd.

If it is their choice, does not interfere with their duties, and fits with the airline's overall style, why would anyone care?

fcw

Post by fcw »

longwings wrote: 25 Dec 2023, 02:55
convair wrote: 24 Dec 2023, 17:14 Of course they shoud have the right to wear a hijab. But passengers have the right to regret that, after so many years when it was forbidden, they feel the desire, the need, or maybe the social obligation to wear it.
What passenger would "regret" that flight attendants have the right to act upon their "desire" to wear a hijab? This is so odd.

If it is their choice, does not interfere with their duties, and fits with the airline's overall style, why would anyone care?
Exactly, Longwings!
Passengers have the right to choose another airline if they are unhappy with the crew uniform!

fcw

Post by fcw »

fcw wrote: 25 Dec 2023, 11:41

Exactly, Longwings!
Passengers have the right to choose another airline if they are unhappy with the crew uniform!
Andre, may I suggest you remove this topic as it’s limit offending in times of equality.

b720

Post by b720 »

It’s a choice. No one’s business actually, forbidding it is exactly the same and forcing it.. as long as it’s a personal choice, it should not bother anyone. same for alcohol. It should not be banned for religious reasons, passengers should be free to choose between a beer or a Coca Cola, I hope MS will introduce alcohol.

Ozzie1969
Location: Brugge, Flanders + Annan, Scotland + Ormoc,Philippines

Post by Ozzie1969 »

What if it's your personal choice to be a nudist ? (Asking for a friend ...)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

fcw wrote: 25 Dec 2023, 13:58 Andre, may I suggest you remove this topic as it’s limit offending in times of equality.
This topic was started in 2012, remained unanswered for 11 years and was reactivated a few days ago. As long as everyone remains polite and nobody is offended, I think that the discussion is still relevant.

Furthermore, as far as I know, Egyptair stewardesses nowadays look like this:
egyptair stewardesses.jpg
And this was the "hijab" introduced in 2012 (not really shocking):
Egypt-Air-hostess-hijab.jpg
Egypt-Air-hostess-hijab.jpg (33.26 KiB) Viewed 1537 times
André
ex Sabena #26567

convair

Post by convair »

Please read what I wrote, before interpreting it.

fcw

Post by fcw »

sn26567 wrote: 25 Dec 2023, 22:08 This topic was started in 2012, remained unanswered for 11 years and was reactivated a few days ago. As long as everyone remains polite and nobody is offended, I think that the discussion is still relevant.
Relevant, seriously?
This topic is disrespectful, people have been banned and reprimanded here for much less than this!