Brussels Airlines future and financial perspective

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Passenger

Re: Brussels Airlines future and financial perspective

Post by Passenger »

Conti764 wrote:Sean is not even 1/10 as negative about SN as you are about FR.
The main difference is that Sean is a Ryanair employee, whilst I'm no Brussels Airlines employee.

The reason why I don't like Ryanair is because I don't like their surcharges that are abnormal in aviation. Sure, about every one here on Luchtzak.be knows what "online check in" means. But out there, in the non aviation world, there are a lot of people who are not frequent flyers at all. And they don't know what it means. They're used to go to the Jetair counter to change their voucher into a Jetairfly ticket, and they then proceed to the check-in desk to drop off their luggage and to get their boarding pass. Ryanair knows many people think this is the way it goes, so they attract them with 19,90 Euro fares. And they cash-in at the airport...

Second main reason why I dislike Ryanair, is because they are the only airline that doesn't respect the aviation legislation. Do you want me to look for the quote from O'Leary "we never pay the compensation from EU-Rule 261/2004 - passengers must sue us"? Actually, my last post about Ryanair was even worse: Ryanair was condemned in court, and even then they refused to pay. The passenger had to send a bailiff to collect it. Reporting such proven fact is not "10/1 more negative": it's 100/100 true.

And afinally, when I report something, I (almost) always add the link to a statement or quote or press report or the web page that confirms my post. Maybe more people should do so.

Treeper

Post by Treeper »

This isn't kindergarten!

Just stop it.
Don't hijack every topic on this SN <> FR bullshit

Can a mod please step in and just remove all that spam?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Reminder to all: this is a topic about "Brussels Airlines future and financial perspective". From now, any post that is not directly related to that topic will be removed without warning. :wave:
André
ex Sabena #26567

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Brussels Airlines is optimistic it will recover

Brussels Airlines CEO Bernard Gustin is not the type to merely lament. A couple of hours after the dual suicide bombings at Brussels Airport on March 22, he and his executive team had outlined a threefold plan to steer the carrier, its employees and passengers through the unprecedented crisis. “Caring, operating, and recovery. It helped us deal with the events, with the stress, the tragedy. It kept us going,” Gustin says. The speed at which the carrier resumed operations and set ...

The rest of the article available only on subscription from Aviation Week...
André
ex Sabena #26567

lara123

Post by lara123 »

Inquirer wrote:According to the vrt, Brussels Airlines is again flying on all of its destinations, although on some routes still with less (daily) frequencies; spokesman Geert Sciot mentions a number of +80% of all scheduled flights being operated.

Also, they refuse to openly quantify the Conveyancing Camden cost of the terrorist attacks for them, but say they will go ahead with their expansion plans as foreseen this year (incl. the hiring of some 240 new Belgian staff) and expect to grow their customer base further vs last year, posting a positive result.

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/binnenland/1.2635421
thanks for sharing this post.we are concerned about airlines future ,it is not at a point as we think about it.

Stij

Post by Stij »

Welcome Lara123,

could you clarify "...it is not at a point as we think about it."

Stij

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

The Lufthansa Group has decided to change the credit card surcharge. Instead of imposing a fixed amount of €7.50 pet ticket, they will now ask for 1.65% of the price of the ticket, with a maximum of €25.00.

Not sure if this will apply to Brussels Airlines though.
André
ex Sabena #26567

convair

Post by convair »

sn26567 wrote:The Lufthansa Group has decided to change the credit card surcharge. Instead of imposing a fixed amount of €7.50 pet ticket, they will now ask for €1.65 of the price of the ticket, with a maximum of €25.00.
You mean 1.65 % André.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

convair wrote:
sn26567 wrote:The Lufthansa Group has decided to change the credit card surcharge. Instead of imposing a fixed amount of €7.50 pet ticket, they will now ask for €1.65 of the price of the ticket, with a maximum of €25.00.
You mean 1.65 % André.
Oops! :oops: Of course: corrected!
André
ex Sabena #26567

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

Interview with B. Gustin (in German). Use google translate because some interesting info...
http://www.aerotelegraph.com/interview- ... anschlaege

Airbus A330

Post by Airbus A330 »

Hello everybody,

Here is the full translation of the German press article:

Why does Brussels Airlines is pleased to Lufthansa integration

CEO Bernard Gustin says in an exclusive interview how the attacks Brussels Airlines have changed, why the integration into Lufthansa makes sense and how he wants to rejuvenate the fleet.

Where were you on the morning of 22 March when the attacks occurred at Brussels Airport?
Bernard Gustin: I came that day earlier than usual to the office. I had to prepare even a management meeting. The night before, I had not done it, because we had since our plane presented with Magritte special paint solemnly to the public. I was very elated about the morning. In addition, we had five days earlier presents brilliant results. Thirty percent more passengers, higher returns, a record high profits. But shortly before 8:30 am Then came the first reports of the attacks. Believe me, I've never been so fast from paradise to hell.

What happened then?
One advantage was that I was already in the office. Many other managers were not able to quickly access our offices which are located near the airport. It was blocked everything. We set up immediately a crisis center. In the first few minutes it was all very confusing. We had to make a picture of the situation as everyone else because of media reports and first Twitter photos. On one of these pictures one saw our ticket office at the airport. I was shocked. I was afraid that we lost many colleagues. Later, I went down to the main entrance and waited for all employees who returned from the airport to us at the headquarters. I shook hands with everyone, we embraced. It was very emotional. Then we tried all counting and noticed that four colleagues were missing. I immediately sent a los colleague who searched the hospitals. So we knew what had happened to our people and showed them that we had not forgotten them. Almost simultaneously began the usual crisis work, when we took care of our passengers. The Easter weekend was approaching yes. Yet we did not realize how bad everything was. But then told me an expert, that the airport will probably remain closed for several days. Since we knew how great our challenge would be.

Did you think about, a few days to close completely?
No. The crisis unit immediately sat together. And quickly came up with the idea that we could move the European traffic to Antwerp and Liege. At the same time we were planning long distance traffic to Frankfurt and Zurich bring. Lufthansa CEO Carsten Spohr had me early in the morning as the first ever called and asked me about the condition and there also offered to help. Within 24 hours, we have built up to an emergency operation. That was amazing - even though unfortunately we were not able to offer the creature comforts our passengers and they were often faced with a chaotic situation. But we have done something. We fought, and therefore they have forgiven us.

"Carsten Spohr had called me early in the morning as the first ever"

What happened internally with the employees?
That sounds kind of funny. But the whole thing has bound us together. The will to achieve something together, was extremely strong. For days hundreds of people day and night working through here to get the business back on track and to assist passengers. It's great to have such an employee.

Can you estimate also the financial loss?
This really is not our first priority. More important is that we can carry out 100 percent of our flights again. Yet the Brussels airport does not work as before. It was not built to control each passenger several times, as happens now. This holds even certain people from traveling from Brussels. Therefore, we have to see how the demand develops. Our ultimate goal, however, remains that the planned 8 million passengers in 2016 to reach yet.

And as it looks to cut costs?
Our estimate of the financial cost of the attacks is 70 to 100 million euros. That's a lot of money. We hope here to cover part of the cost through insurance.

One effect was that Lufthansa postponed the decision on a full takeover of Brussels Airlines in the autumn. Are you disappointed?
No. This decision we made together with Lufthansa. The complete integration into Lufthansa will retain a lot of resources. This is a huge project. I must first take care of me and my colleagues now to the normalization operation. In addition, the also the wrong signal would now be sent: Are the so desperate that they are open to take over? For the opposite is the case.

"The decision to shift we met jointly with Lufthansa."

That means you are responsible for the integration?
I am convinced that it is a smaller airline as we are better in a large network. The solo is not an option. The sale of 45 percent stake in Lufthansa 2009 was therefore a conscious decision. We had then looked at all the other possible partners and decide on Lufthansa. This assessment has not changed. I am absolutely convinced that Brussels Airlines will be even stronger as a full member of the Lufthansa Group. The integration brings not only us something, but also Lufthansa.

What do you bring for Lufthansa?
There are three things, and by the way also sees Carsten Spohr way. First, we will be launching a Brussels with the many business customers traveling to EU institutions, NATO and international group headquarters. This market is actually larger than the market Frankfurt. Secondly, we have in Africa a vast knowledge and there is a very strong image. And thirdly, we have a recipe found how to exist by the low-cost supplier, despite fierce competition. Ryanair and Vueling have a base in Brussels, Easyjet is also very active. We now know how to handle it and grow anyway. And then there are half a point, which goes sometimes forget something. The Brussels hub will be the first at Lufthansa, which is not in the German-speaking world. So we bring expertise in a different culture with.

Are there any products that could incorporate other airlines Brussels Airlines?
We have last fall launched the loyalty program Loop. Jetblue was the model here. Miles & More is great, but especially for the frequent flyer. For passengers traveling from and within Europe, Loop is a very interesting alternative. You we want to offer something even if they are not frequent flyers. Meanwhile, we have 70,000 members in Loop. It is a loyalty program, no frequent flyer program. There are no blackout dates, you can gather together, you can get very low free flights. It is a program that provides the consumer at the center. Other airlines in the Lufthansa Group, the look at exactly. Maybe they do not need it now, but when the competition increases.

"The Brussels hub will be the first at Lufthansa, which is not in the German-speaking world."

And what does Brussels Airlines integration?
There are certainly synergies because we can save some costs. We also enjoy the benefits of increased purchasing power, not least for aircraft. Our costs can sink so on. but is much more important the sales power of Lufthansa. We could never build a strong enough sales himself, for example in the US or in Spain. As we help the composite.

Are there opportunities for cooperation with Eurowings?
Absolutely. There are great similarities. We are exposed to both strong competition from low-cost providers, both have an unsaturated domestic market and operate both no hub with flights to all regions of the world. This is different with Lufthansa, Swiss and Austrian Airlines. Nevertheless, there are also differences: We have other than Eurowings a hub and transfer passengers.

But you wish that Brussels Airlines is organizationally located closer to Eurowings or rather with Lufthansa?
We need to find a strategy within the Lufthansa Group, which these two aspects - does justice - Lowcost- and hub provider. It must also strengthen us beyond our home markets Belgium and Africa. Whether we are then appended at Eurowings or the Hub Management at Lufthansa, does not really matter. There are good arguments for both divisions. An advantage of Eurowings is certainly that are still under construction. Since we can bring us more with our small size. The advantage of hub management area is that it is already working well.

Would it be possible that Eurowings once accepts routes of Brussels Airlines from Brussels?
No. It makes no sense to have two brands in Brussels. We have then already established with Virgin. You need a strong brand with the right cost structure.

"An advantage of Eurowings is certainly that are still under construction."

They built in the last months of the network, especially on the long haul. Could the attacks make this expansion in question?
I think it would be a mistake now to act hastily. We have put a lot of effort in there. That's why we do not give up so quickly, even though we now sometimes feel a temporary dent in bookings. An abrupt stop would also send the wrong signal. We would risk making the whole dynamics, we feel just destroyed.

Where do you see more opportunities for expansion?
We have 30 percent market share in Belgium. Here is more in it. We have now successfully established itself as a hybrid supplier - between cheap airline and full service airline. Jetblue and Aer Lingus were here for us role models. The costs for Brussels Airlines are now so low that we can compete with Ryanair and Co. and are also able to offer also service next cheap tickets. And for the passengers are prepared to pay a little bit more. This is our model of success in Europe.

And outside your home market?
In Africa, there are still possibilities for expansion even though we fly to 19 destinations today. So let's look at some of Nigeria. We also examine the frequency increases and the conversion to non-stop flights, where we still fly with a stopover. Finally, we have seen in North America gaps. Our transatlantic business is closely linked to Africa. Many of the passengers from Montreal, New York and Washington have relations with the African continent and rising in Brussels to. As we see even more opportunities. And then we also see opportunities that have nothing to do with our hub. So we are currently considering flights to Mumbai which has been abandoned by Jet Airways. Since there is a demand.

Then you would also expand the fleet...
I come from the consumer goods sector. I am somewhat surprised again and again how often thinks first in aviation to the aircraft and then on to the market. If we see in Brussels Airlines an exciting market and where an interesting destination, we will also take care of course the question of the necessary aircraft. We will continue to rely mainly on leasing.

"Our transatlantic business is closely linked to Africa."

The fleet of Brussels Airlines with an average of 14 years old relative. Is there planned a taper?
We know that we have to do something here. The project is ongoing and until the end of the year we will decide. We look at all options. In this case, the integration into the Lufthansa Group certainly help, because we have more possibilities with their size. Alone we would certainly stay with the Airbus A330 and the A320 family. Together, new opportunities may arise. but it is always important that we can keep the simplest possible structure of the fleet.

If the C-Series CS100 Bombardier for an option to replace the Airbus A319?
In order Ryanair, Vueling and Easyjet to fight on, we opted for a unit fleet. That would no longer be with the C-Series. We will also choose tended to be larger flyer, so replace A319 through A320. So we can reduce unit costs.

That is, the A320 neo family is a prime candidate?
The fuel price will rise again. Therefore, we need the best technology, which give us the highest efficiency. The A320 neo is therefore certainly an issue. This does not mean that we will certainly buy A320 neo. Perhaps there is another equally good solution within the group.

A A320 you have for the Euro painted entirely in red, the colors of the football team. What is your forecast how long the Red Devils remain in the game?
I do not make forecasts, but I have a goal. I want that plane on Belgian National Day on July 21, fly next to fighter jets the Air Force. That would be a first. And with a win on the football championship, there is no reason not to do so.

(Translated by Google Translate)

This article answers several questions I had since quite some time! :) 8-)

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Thanks for the posters of the two previous messages: this looks like an important contribution to the topic.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Passenger

Post by Passenger »

Airbus A330 wrote:Here is the full translation of the German press article:
Why does Brussels Airlines is pleased to Lufthansa integration
CEO Bernard Gustin says in an exclusive interview how the attacks Brussels Airlines have changed, why the integration into Lufthansa makes sense and how he wants to rejuvenate the fleet.
And as it looks to cut costs?
Our estimate of the financial cost of the attacks is 70 to 100 million euros. That's a lot of money. We hope here to cover part of the cost through insurance.
This is a very remarkable quote from Gustin: it seems they had a very solid insurance police. Though money can never compensate the loss of lifes, this would be very good news for all involved.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Seems like the joined BAC-Brussels Airlines trade mission to Toronto, HQ of BRU's main shareholder, is providing a lot of interesting interviews and news.

VRT had a talk with B. Gustin in Toronto, who estimates the loss in revenues for his company will stand at some €90m. However, this does not mean the company will have to book a loss this year.

BAC's revenue loss stands at €200m to €300m (in another article in De Tijd, they mention a loss of €100m, but that is likely profit loss from the context, of which 'only' a few tens of millions are uncovered by insurances).

http://deredactie.be/cm/vrtnieuws/regio ... =1.2652882

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Slightly out of topic: the results of TUI (Jetair in Belgium) have also been affected by the closure of Brussels Airport. In the quarterly report of TUI, one can read:

Western Region (Belgium, Netherlands, France) reported an operating result of -75.7 million euros. However, the prior year reference result (-60.9 million euros) included a significant non-recurring credit in Source Market Belgium. Excluding this, Western Region’s seasonal operating loss was slightly down year-on-year. While France delivered an improved result, Belgium was impacted by the decline in demand for North Africa and by the closure of Brussels Airport.
André
ex Sabena #26567

OO-ITR

Post by OO-ITR »

This morning, there was the inauguration of the new lounge in the airport of Kinshasa. The lounge is called The Suite and has the same style as The Loft in the A pier.
Also the lounge in the B pier has been renewed and expanded (doubled its size and can host 160 guests now). This lounge has also been named The Suite.

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Maybe an interesting piece of news, reflecting the reborn confidence in Brussels Airlines:
Brussels Airlines is the 3rd most attractive employer in Belgium, according to Randstad.

http://www.tijd.be/connect/workforce360 ... aign=WF360

The Belgian airline is a remarkable 3rd and over the past ten years made a spectacular rise through the ranking to the top 3 position this year.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Today at the General Assembly of IATA in Dublin, Brussels Airlines CEO Bernard Gustin reaffirmed that there is a wish to have a Belgian brand in aviation, thus implicitly opposing a take-over of the whole short-haul market by Eurowings.

I can only support his views, although he also said that Brussels Airlines will be called whatever has value for the customer following any Lufthansa purchase. I guess that a Belgian brand still has a lot of value!

Gustin also expressed the wish that Lufthansa purchases the remaining 55% of Brussels Airlines as soon as possible in order to have a stronger brand.

André
ex Sabena #26567

sn-remember

Post by sn-remember »

It makes no sense to have two brands in Brussels
(from Gustin interview)
I disagree ..
We need a hub operation AND a LC operation at BRU.
Both can work effectively side by side. With lots of possible synergies and interlining must be made possible.
Similar to Swiss and Edelweiss duality but more integrated and the LC arm more developped.