Crash in Nepal, 14 dead, incl. 6 foreigners

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

sn26567

Crash in Nepal, 14 dead, incl. 6 foreigners

Post by sn26567 »

Fourteen people, including four Americans, a Japanese and a British national, were killed when their small plane crashed in bad weather in Nepal on Tuesday.

The Angi Air plane, returning to Kathmandu after failing to land in Lukla in eastern Nepal because of bad weather, crashed near the outskirts of the capital. Lukla is the gateway to Mount Everest.

Full report from Reuters
André
ex Sabena #26567

concordino

Re: Crash in Nepal, 14 dead, incl. foreigners

Post by concordino »

The airline is AGNI AIR not Angi Air who operate Do228's and Jetstream 41's

C

regi

Re: Crash in Nepal, 14 dead, incl. 6 foreigners

Post by regi »

It is a Dornier that crashed.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-south-asia-11067320

Sad news, certainly now that this model is undergoing a succesful refurbishment program - see other posting of some days ago.

But, it probably has little to do with the airplane but more with the landing strip:
read:
The 550m-long (1,800ft) sloping airstrip at Lukla perched on a hillside some 2,800m above sea level, with a steep 700m drop at one end, is considered one of the most difficult landings in the world.

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

regi wrote:
But, it probably has little to do with the airplane but more with the landing strip:

[/i]
It had nothing to do with Lukla as it did not land there.
read :
The plane had been flying to Lukla, a popular trekking spot in the Mount Everest region of eastern Nepal.

The airline authority said the plane was called back because of the bad weather.

At 12 nautical miles from Kathmandu airport, the plane radioed in and said it was beginning its descent. Radar contact was lost at 10 nautical miles

H.A.

TCAS_climb

Post by TCAS_climb »

Kathmandu-Lukla is a really short flight, even for a turboprop. I wonder what kind of equipment they have in the Do-228. I can't imagine that they didn't have an EGPWS.

Perhaps a sudden rush to switch from one plan (landing in Lukla) to another plan (landing back in Kathmandu) took them unprepared and then confused their situational awareness?

regi

Post by regi »

Homo Aeroportus wrote:
regi wrote:

[/i]
It had nothing to do with Lukla as it did not land there.
read :
The plane had been flying to Lukla, a popular trekking spot in the Mount Everest region of eastern Nepal.

The airline authority said the plane was called back because of the bad weather.

At 12 nautical miles from Kathmandu airport, the plane radioed in and said it was beginning its descent. Radar contact was lost at 10 nautical miles

H.A.
sorry for the fast reporting.

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

sorry for the fast reporting.
Thank you for reporting.

Actually Lukla came to my mind immediately as well.
;)

H.A.
Last edited by sn26567 on 25 Aug 2010, 11:44, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected BBCode