Jet Airways goes on strike

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Atlantis

Re: Jet Airways goes on strike

Post by Atlantis »

cnc wrote:
b.lufthansa wrote:
cnc wrote:looks simple to me, fire them and then let flightcare select their own officers of choice for the job
very simple indeed: throw your staff away like garbage! this is a disgusting remark!
i'm just saying a strike isn't going to help them at all in this case :roll:

@Jettie: sorry to hear but try to hold on. if rumors are true SN or LH will start their own handling at BRU and they'll need staff too
CNC don't give member Jettie too much hope. A third handler at BRU is not allowed before 2011. And IF there will be a third handler it's all going via politics because they are going to decide if there will be a third one.

But keep in mind that a third handler will not solved the current problems: good equipment, enough employees, relationship between company and the unions, etc.
A third handler, under SN or LH or only for Star carriers, will mean that one of the two excisting handling companies will leave.

Established02

Post by Established02 »

Conti764 wrote:Is this the reason why the 9W-jets left so late?
The inbounds from India arrived on time, but the inbounds from America had one hour delay arriving around 09h00. I guess this is the main reason why the outbounds only started leaving as from 11h30.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

Established02 wrote:
Conti764 wrote:Is this the reason why the 9W-jets left so late?
The inbounds from India arrived on time, but the inbounds from America had one hour delay arriving around 09h00. I guess this is the main reason why the outbounds only started leaving as from 11h30.
Must have been quite some weather over the atlantic, since some of the Americans came in very late as well.

NCB

Post by NCB »

By chance I noticed that 9W's transatlantic departures left very late on Thursday, due to the snow delays.

Anyways I thank Jettie for having the courage to share it around here with us.

Basically, what they're doing is that they're firing you and kindly placing you with a new employer, so no matter what, you are entitled to the typical compensation... which is more than you'd pull out of 3 years of non-reving standby tickets except that you'll have cash on hand and you'll be able to choose your destination.

Outsourcing is rarely cheaper even if you have to do the same work with fewer guys, there must be some other reason why they can't keep you guys for while they can keep the other ground guys. Maybe some legal/liability stuff and the financials that relate to it?

In the meanwhile I believe that you'll have to work more and more irregular hours for the same or less amount of money. They say that life isn't fair...

A lose-lose situation??

Propwash

Post by Propwash »

These days it's more profitable (common sense) to give up your EU Nationality, become Somali and join the Pirates Sea Force :mrgreen:

regi

Post by regi »

Thank you for your reply Jettie.
From the begining there was something not clear to me, I felt there was something illegal about it. A company cannot just like that fire you and send you to another company.
You refer to a CAO . That means it has been discussed between employer and employee representatives i.e. the unions.
Looking back what happened the last 18 months under the umbrella of the global crisis, I have a bad feeling about this.
This could be a sign that Jet Airways wants to dismiss everybody, maybe...because they will leave Brussels completely.
They are draining their staff so at the end the social deficit / pay out obligations become smaller - in case they stop.
It could have been done differently. I know quite some large companies where they should sack personnel because there isn't enough work. But the employers send their personnel to other companies where there is still work. The employee doesn't loose his job, working years, benefits. I spoke to some of these workers and the feelings are not bad. They know it is better than to be sacked. It is temporarely. It is a welcome change against boredom. For some people it means adjusting their working time, transport. But in general they are happy about the solution.
Jet Airways didn't go this way, because they want to get rid off the obligations. Simple. This is capitalism at its best. Mittal closed /reduced many western companies, but pumped a lot of money in a brand new factory in Brasil, costing billions. Respect for the employee? It is all about the money. :|

zanirap4

Post by zanirap4 »

If this same thing had to happen to me, I would also be very upset. But I still say you're lucky because you were transferred and didn't loose your job altogether. Most people are simply asked to leave the organisation and fend for themselves and their families. Luckily you still have a job in hand. The situation could have been much worse for you..

nik.raghavan

Post by nik.raghavan »

This is the most ubsurd thing i have heard till date..... Companies are going bust..... people are left with no job overnight.....are here are a bnch of people striking.....when they are shifted to another company just because of free tickets..... this is a joke....Such people should be sacked immediately.....Only those that respect a job knows its true value....These bunch of people dont have respect to the company nor to their job or the situation we are all in today

Established02

Post by Established02 »

nik.raghavan wrote:the most ubsurd thing i have heard till date... this is a joke....Such people should be sacked immediately...These bunch of people dont have respect to the company nor to their job or the situation we are all in today
Relax, Nik. Perhaps you may be blowing some things out of proportion.

People can feel rewarded in their job through various things beyond the actual job content. This can include, working in the atmosphere of an airline, occassionally enjoying some (free?) travel benefits... It hurts to loose aspects that are valuable for a person. Don't be insensitive.

On the other hand, I understand your concern, we are indeed living in serious times and things may possibly get even more tough.

Jettie

Post by Jettie »

Hello all ... Our strike does not disrupt the flights, so actually by going on strike we're not 'hurting' the passengers ... We believe that we have to fight for our cause and that's what we'll do!

Just to let you know that we try to do this in a fun way that even generates some money for charity .... sooooo .... we put the Jet Airways OPS team for sale on EBAY ... the money will go to Music for Life, the fight against Malaria ...

Thank you verybody for your support and kind words of comfort!

http://cgi.benl.ebay.be/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... 0399512914