airDC project relaunched under name "Korongo"

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

RoMax

airDC project relaunched under name "Korongo"

Post by RoMax »

It is already months ago we have seen something about the airDC project. You can call the contact between SN and Hewa Bora "not really good anymore". :P So the project is postponed for unknown time. SN is actually only for 49% shareholder and Hewa Bora for 51%. Is there a chance SN launch the project on their own, with the help of LH?
Last edited by sn26567 on 15 Dec 2009, 13:20, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: New title after recent news

HighInTheSky

Re: Is the airDC project dead?

Post by HighInTheSky »

MR_Boeing wrote:It is already months ago we have seen something about the airDC project. You can call the contact between SN and Hewa Bora "not really good anymore". :P So the project is postponed for unknown time. SN is actually only for 49% shareholder and Hewa Bora for 51%. Is there a chance SN launch the project on their own, with the help of LH?
It is not dead at all ;)
News about the project will come out at due time...

PS: MR Boeing, you keep asking the right questions ... Are you press or something? :D
Last edited by HighInTheSky on 12 Dec 2009, 21:11, edited 1 time in total.

tolipanebas

Post by tolipanebas »

Allow me to say just this:

Who needs Hewa Bora anyway?

Ever wondered why the relationship between SN and Hewa Bora has turned so bitter-sour?

Add both comments together and you may have found an answer to your question on where things are going... found all by yourself! ;-)

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

I wouldn't be suprised if SN will launch the airDC project on their own (together with LH). But when? End 2010, beginning 2011...? And how is it possible for SN to launch airDC without Hewa Bora?
About the relationship between SN and Hewa Bora. I don't really know why it's became like it is now. One thing I am sure about is the fact that Hewa Bora only thinks about themself and SN need to do what they want, but SN doesn't do this.

@tolipanebas: I am really thinking about an answer but I don't found it. :oops: :lol:
@HighInTheSky: No I am not from the press, I am just an verry curious Belgian aviation enthousiast that want that everything will go faster(like new Star carriers to BRU, expansion of SN, launching of airDC). :mrgreen:

btw: Is there anyone that really knows from inside SN that there will come some things clear in the near future (coming weeks/ months) about airDC?

Calisto

Post by Calisto »

Hello all,

I can tell you that the AirDC project will be relaunched. Homebase will be Lubumbashi (or how do you write that?) for safety reasons. Flights to Johannesburg will be one of the routes. Plane used will be OO-LTM, which is the only 737 which is really owned by Brussels Airlines. News in the next month...

Kind regards,

Calisto

Gliderpilot

Post by Gliderpilot »

So the (painted) BAE146's are just wasted money?

Anyway, good to hear the project will be 'relaunched', was it ever 'cancelled' (officially)?

Good luck for SN/LH, I hope they can make it work!

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Calisto, thanks for that news. I now airDC will get a 737 but I tought only after the two BAe's were in service already. Maybe they come later to? And will SN the only shareholder? That would be wonderfull, finally no Hewa Bora anymore.
But is it right Lubumbashi (or how do you wright it :p) is not even a SN destination from Brussels? Maybe the new AFI destination when the new A333 arrived?

@gliderpilot: The project was never cancelled officially but postponed for unknown time.

cnc

Post by cnc »

didn't lufthansa say they wanted direct flights from BRU instead of the airdc project?

brussels airlines

Post by brussels airlines »

There will be more direct flights between Brussels Airport and Africa. Still, in Africa, there is a huge need of a safe airline who offers intra-African services. I don't believe Brussels Airlines will again start a cooperation with Hewa Bora, and risking to have to postpone the project again.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

Yes but with the help of LH they can launch the project al on their own, and than airDC will be a 100% daughter of SN and by that Star Alliance linked so again much more connections in AFI via BRU.
SN can serve much more AFI destinations non-stop (or triangel flights)from BRU than they do now but there are still smaller airports with potential but SN can't serve them (small long haul fleet). This can be solved by an airline like airDC. It will be one of the safest intra-AFI airlines and can provide SN a lot of pax. And SN can serve a lot Star Carriers a big amount of AFI destinations on a safe airline (not like most regional AFI airlines wich are mostly terrible).

NCB

Post by NCB »

Hello all,

I can tell you that the AirDC project will be relaunched. Homebase will be Lubumbashi (or how do you write that?) for safety reasons. Flights to Johannesburg will be one of the routes. Plane used will be OO-LTM, which is the only 737 which is really owned by Brussels Airlines. News in the next month...
Now that's what I'd call good news!
No doubt that the BAe's will join the party with the 737 in that case.

SN will access a part of the market that they don't really participate in now, the Southern horn of Africa.
Kenya and Angola become more accessible and they can even dare to steal some pax from AF by flying to Brazza.

Will they be on time for the world cup? It's a little tight but it would be ideal to start-up during that event.
Last edited by NCB on 13 Dec 2009, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.

regi

Post by regi »

well, with that radius it will not be enough for all the foot ball matches.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

cnc wrote:didn't lufthansa say they wanted direct flights from BRU instead of the airdc project?
You can't fly to every airport in Africa from BRU, nor from FRA of ZRH... In that matter it would be a good idea to have a safe African airline which flies continental Africa. If they manage to build a good hub (connect one or some airports with European airports) and spoke system it would definately mean a great market for Star Alliance to explore and a lot of money coming in.

Yes, SN should increase direct destinations from BRU, but it's a good idea to relaunch AirDC and this time, with Star Alliance backing them, they don't need Hewa Bora to make it work.

NCB

Post by NCB »

well, with that radius it will not be enough for all the foot ball matches.
The picture shown only reflects the part of the market that SN can focus on with a local hub, it doesn't reflect a given radius out of FBM... but if you want I have deliberately chosen the range of the BAe146.
The point shown is that SN isn't trying to shift the existing markets by serving them out of a hub, but merely focusing on a new market and strengthening existing markets.

Now, refering to the football matches, the BAe's can serve JNB and the B733's can serve anywhere in South Africa out of FBM.

TCAS_climb

Post by TCAS_climb »

Aaaah, it's been months since we had our last good laughs about AirDC. Good to see this mess come alive again!

A candid question: in which country will AirDC obtain its Air Operator Certificate and register its aircraft?
A) Congo
B) Belgium
C) Mauritius
D) Papua-New Guinea

Answer A?
An all-time winner in the EU Black List? Think again... Not good for public relations. Joke aside, I'm sure the Congolese have lots of reasons and a huge imagination to play with SN's feet and slow down an AOC application to death. Unless you start bribing or appoint some of those lunatics into your own company of course, which is nothing but stupid...

Answer B or C
They apply European standards, and if you just start to imagine how AirDC could comply with the requirements on maintenance and security you will get a headache. Not to mention the fact that these states would still have to perform the oversight of AirDC. Totally unrealistic!

Answer D
Yeah, that's a good one. Let's go to the beach and have a cocktail to think about all this.

Lyulka

Post by Lyulka »

What about going for answer A in the list above, perhaps with a Portugal-Angola like arrangement...
I doubt there's an other way to convince the Congolese authorities.

RoMax

Post by RoMax »

TCAS_climb: I think you will be suprised about this project in the comming months. You really underestimate the know-how and the influence of SN in Africa, especially in Congo. The only thing why SN does not tell anything anymore in the press is because Hewa Bora is furious on them.
The Congo goverment can not afford them to boycott SN on their plans for airDC. If they do so, they can lose the good relationship (for now :P ) with belgium and SN.

TCAS_climb

Post by TCAS_climb »

Indeed, SN already demonstrated that their know-how and influence should never be underestimated... as well as the power of their denial. Since when are the tiger-AVROs sitting on the ramp in BRU again?
:roll:

What you're saying doesn't make sense to me. If indeed SN will rain on Hewa Bora's parade (a company owned by Kabila) and has secured its future in DRC, I see no sensible reason to handle Hewa Bora carefully or to postpone PR work. Since when competing airlines are gentle with one another?

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling »

Anyway, HBA is clinically dead... it's a question of days if not hours...
Did you know you can't even spell airdc letters in b26 nowadays ?? If you do so, you have serious problems with ur hierarchy !!!! :lol: :lol: buiiiten !

Calisto

Post by Calisto »

Hey!

There will be 5 new destinations in Africa when the new 330 will be there...! Probably the 146's will follow, but not evertone is convinced about their perfromance in the African meteorological and geographical conditions. Question is also...who will be the pilots flying over there?!

Nevertheless, airDC will continue...and sooner than we may expect. And for who is interested...it's most of all Lufthansa beleiving in the project!

Goodnight!