2008-2009 Liège Airport (LGG) latest news

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Atlantis

Re: Liège Airport (LGG) latest news

Post by Atlantis »

Cargo: -9%
Pax: -12%

LGG should go full 100% for cargo and let pax flights to CRL. As we all could see the last couple of weeks Jetairfly is increasing their presence at CRL and not LGG. The same about Thomas Cook Airlines.

LGG lost more pax in 2009 then BRU.

http://www.lloyd.be/nieuws/id26657-Lige ... it_in.html

liege-bierset

Post by liege-bierset »

grnkg wrote:
liege-bierset wrote:TNT Airways
The last A300F is leaving the fleet today to Mojave (US). :cry:
Check your sources mate, TZB is still flying LGG-BFS every night!

Kind regards,
GR.
Hi GR,

You are fully correct! Was in a hurry but only one step ahead.
What about this......(Source: TNT-Flight Schedule)
27/12/09 TAY973E BFS-BGR
28/12/09 TAY973E BGR-MHV (mojave). Could be TZB this time?
Since you seem to follow TNT closely, do you know how they are going to replace A300F' capacity ? Or do they wait for Fedex or UPS raid (as seen in financial press, new shareholders willing to spit up TNT. Profitable Express business on one side and low margins postal bizz on the other side, paving the way for potential buyer)
Best regards.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

LGG should go full 100% for cargo and let pax flights to CRL. As we all could see the last couple of weeks Jetairfly is increasing their presence at CRL and not LGG. The same about Thomas Cook Airlines.
It's planned since the begining, no surprise here.
It's a bit sad to spoil such a potential, but it's a political decision so we have to accept it.
Many political decision are hard to accept in belgium, but it's like that.

Now, about the numbers, please wait the end of the year and the final numbers.
I'll make stats and a new topic for 2010.

Especially when your source is clearly not a neutral journalist work.

liege-bierset

Post by liege-bierset »

Atlantis wrote:2009

Cargo: -9%
Pax: -12%

LGG lost more pax in 2009 then BRU.

http://www.lloyd.be/nieuws/id26657-Lige ... it_in.html
To : Atlantis
I like the way you twist and dress things....
When you quote a source( " lloyd" in this case) , you should be honest enough and not giving a curtailed information, even though its suits your usual motto (BRU top of the top and LGG anecdotal airport).
I have checked Lloyd's article in Vl, Fr and En. I also read that if we want to compare apples with apples, 2008 pax figures were infated by an important strike in BRU which caused an unusual traffic in LGG (btw the small airport was able to handle it at customers satisfaction).
So The Lloyd concludes that no growth, no lost for LGG pax. Anyway most of the customers are living in the vicinity and will not be interested in driving one hour to Charleroi. Unless if new destinations out of CRL are attractive places for holydays.
But doing so, Jetairfly and TC are more harming BRU than LGG or OST. Cannibalizing is no good news for BRU.
Now let's wait for actual numbers in the cargo busines (LGG and BRU are neck to neck).
Rgds.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

liege-bierset wrote: Or do they wait for Fedex or UPS raid (as seen in financial press, new shareholders willing to spit up TNT. Profitable Express business on one side and low margins postal bizz on the other side, paving the way for potential buyer)
Best regards.
It's not a new rumour and mostly UPS was in the picture. Fedex is/was only interested in the excellent European Express service of TNT.

But like I said, it's not new. Three to four years ago it was more daily news then today, intern ;)

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Acid-drop wrote:It's a bit sad to spoil such a potential, but it's a political decision so we have to accept it.
Many political decision are hard to accept in belgium, but it's like that.

Now, about the numbers, please wait the end of the year and the final numbers.
I'll make stats and a new topic for 2010.
But it's a good decision. LGG is a very good cargo airport, great location. CRL has all the pax and both airports are doing well. Mix them and it could be that you will have an other situation.
Every airport is good in their own segment.

Look at OST: cargo nope, pax nope.

About the figures. They are indeed not final but you have a window where you can calculate how much cargo is coming your way and this in number of daily flights, type of aircraft, etc. Take an average and you will come close to the actual figures.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

If the figures stay like that, it's quite a good result in a crisis environment.
LGG should be able to keep it's 8th place in the european top10 and maybe even enter the world top30, we'll see.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

I just noticed that the google satellite image have been updated again, very high quality this time !

we have a very nice view of liege airport (and also of liege guillemins train station)

http://maps.google.be/maps?client=firef ... 8&t=k&z=15

liege-bierset

Post by liege-bierset »

Atlantis wrote:
liege-bierset wrote: Or do they wait for Fedex or UPS raid (as seen in financial press, new shareholders willing to spit up TNT. Profitable Express business on one side and low margins postal bizz on the other side, paving the way for potential buyer)
Best regards.
It's not a new rumour and mostly UPS was in the picture. Fedex is/was only interested in the excellent European Express service of TNT.

But like I said, it's not new. Three to four years ago it was more daily news then today, intern ;)
Atlantis
I agree with you, we have seen similar rumour in the past, but today the picture looks different since American shareholders (pension funds ) are holding a nice share of TNT NV. They are having serious talks with TNT managment. As you know the real lords and masters are the stakeholders. If you have spare money (joke) buy in TNT, shares will go up (no joke). :o :o
This time it could be more than a rumour, it's a financial game. At the end TNT is small fish for both Express giants but would be a good fit for them (Europe and China). Just check The Wall Street Journal or the F.T.
Have a nice day.

Nevihta

Post by Nevihta »

Acid-drop wrote:I just noticed that the google satellite image have been updated again, very high quality this time !

we have a very nice view of liege airport (and also of liege guillemins train station)

http://maps.google.be/maps?client=firef ... 8&t=k&z=15
not that recent, no OO-CBB :D

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

Being taken over by UPS would not be a good thing for TNT & LGG I guess, UPS is big in Koln and I don't see them having two main bases so close to each other.

In the other hand UPS is one of the best cargo freighter with a very good management and probably the best paid crew all over the world.

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

Is UPS so big in cologne ? Bigger than TNT in LGG ? I'm not so sure, they seem to have only US destinations, I don't know how they do for europe and asia...

And Cologne have a lot of pax and Fedex (strange idea btw, paris is not that far), so you have to share all that.
I'm sure LGG has some advantage, but it will be a real fight.
It's impossible to not be affraid in this situation, every time something like that happens, germany wins ;)

cnc

Post by cnc »

well germany is the economic superpower in europe

Desert Rat

Post by Desert Rat »

Acid-drop wrote:Is UPS so big in cologne ?
It's their main base in Europe
Last edited by sn26567 on 25 Dec 2009, 10:42, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Corrected BBCode

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

yes but they are not so big in europe (that's why they need TNT), so I don't know if it's that big
Any info ?

EDIT : from some sources, it seems 60% of the 600.000 tons/year of Cologne are from UPS, so yes it's quite big, bigger than TNT, less than 50% of LGG's 500.000 tons/year

website-info

Post by website-info »

liege-bierset wrote:
grnkg wrote:
liege-bierset wrote:TNT Airways
You are fully correct! Was in a hurry but only one step ahead.
What about this......(Source: TNT-Flight Schedule)
27/12/09 TAY973E BFS-BGR
28/12/09 TAY973E BGR-MHV (mojave). Could be TZB this time?
Since you seem to follow TNT closely, do you know how they are going to replace A300F' capacity ? Or do they wait for Fedex or UPS raid (as seen in financial press, new shareholders willing to spit up TNT. Profitable Express business on one side and low margins postal bizz on the other side, paving the way for potential buyer)
Best regards.
The BFS is going to be operated by TF-ELK A306 Air Atlanta from Jan 4, the Linate-LGG route will also be operated by Air Atlanta (TF-ELW) from sometime in Feb 10.

As for UPS at CGN, they have a huge European network operated by 3rd Party carriers, 11 x B767 Star Air, upto 10 Farnair ATR's and several F27's plus they operate their own US regd B767 and B757 on Euro routes. IIRC last summer there were approx 45-50 arrivals at hub time. So yep they are big in CGN,
Merry Christmas Guys and Girls

T

liege-bierset

Post by liege-bierset »

TNT AIRWAYS

TNT will be wet leasing two A300-600RF from Air Atlanta Icelandic.
First flight scheduled on Jan 04. One year contract.

(Source: WorldACD)

Acid-drop

Post by Acid-drop »

I lock this one a create a new one for 2010