Lawsuit against BRU-strikers 13 April 2007 has started

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

LX-LGX

Lawsuit against BRU-strikers 13 April 2007 has started

Post by LX-LGX »

A very special trial has started today in Brussels: 272 travellers are demanding an indemnity of 620.000 euro from 47 strikers, one trade union, two trade union bosses and Brussels Airport Company because of the damage, caused by the wildcat strike at BRU on 13 April 2007. For those who don't remember it: the strike started on the last Friday of Easter holiday 2007, blocking 26.000 passengers in BRU or elsewhere. The strike by the fire brigade and security services lasted for almost 10 hours, and ended when they were promised one extra Maaltijdcheque / Cheque Repas.

The lawyer from the plainters - Peter Cafmeyer - states that a strike, and surely a wildcat strike, must be the ultimate weapon. It wasn't. He also states that the right to strike may not damage people who are not involved in the (social) dispute. So it's abuse of the right to strike, meaning that Civil Code Art. 1382 applies (that's a law that every country has and that's why we need insurances: "everybody must pay the damage he/she causes".

The defenders today stated that lawyer Cafmeyer was not allowed to know the names of the 47 strikes, and the social climate at the Airport was damaged in such way that a strike was the ultimate weapon.

Related topic:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21141

Conti764

Re: Lawsuit against BRU-strikers 13 April 2007 has started

Post by Conti764 »

LX-LGX wrote:The strike by the fire brigade and security services lasted for almost 10 hours, and ended when they were promised one extra Maaltijdcheque / Cheque Repas.
Not true. I know some of the security officers who went on strike that day and for them it was mainly due to yet another incident with the then verry bully head of security at Brussels Airport. She got fired some time later...
The defenders today stated that lawyer Cafmeyer was not allowed to know the names of the 47 strikes, and the social climate at the Airport was damaged in such way that a strike was the ultimate weapon.

Related topic:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=21141
I wonder what charges the person who gave those names to Cafmeyer will face. He was brave enough to give the names of others, now let him be brave enough to give his own name.

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

Conti764 wrote:Not true. I know some of the security officers who went on strike that day and for them it was mainly due to yet another incident with the then verry bully head of security at Brussels Airport. She got fired some time later...
Thanks for clearing this out, as I thought that there was only one strike that day. So we actually had not one but two totally separate - and off course two unevitable - strikes on that very day: one from the fire brigade for a salary increase, and another strike from security services for the dismissal of one staff member who was terrorizing everybody else. What a coincidence!
Conti764 wrote: I wonder what charges the person who gave those names to Cafmeyer will face. He was brave enough to give the names of others, now let him be brave enough to give his own name.
Lawyer Cafmeyer said that somebody working at the airport has given him the names because that person (he or she?) was so upset because passengers were used as hostage for 10 hours in what turned out to be a minor wage dispute.

So far, nobody has been charged for giving the list to lawyer Cafmeyer.

Conti764

Post by Conti764 »

LX-LGX wrote: Thanks for clearing this out, as I thought that there was only one strike that day. So we actually had not one but two totally separate - and off course two unevitable - strikes on that very day: one from the fire brigade for a salary increase, and another strike from security services for the dismissal of one staff member who was terrorizing everybody else. What a coincidence!
I don't know the specific reasons for the fire brigade to go on strike, officially it was out of solidarity with the security service. The reason why the security went on strike was because of the very bullying head of security, that I am sure of. I know the employee who it all started with and I had the honour to have known the head of security in person and she was not the kindest person around.
Conti764 wrote: Lawyer Cafmeyer said that somebody working at the airport has given him the names because that person (he or she?) was so upset because passengers were used as hostage for 10 hours in what turned out to be a minor wage dispute.

So far, nobody has been charged for giving the list to lawyer Cafmeyer.
Of course nobody has been charged. He or she is brave enough not to come forward. I repeat myself, if he or she was brave enough to give up the names of the strikers, this person should be equally brave to give up his or her own name.

And I do not judge about the rightfulness of this strike, all I know is that it wasn't just about a minor wage dispute.

Edit: when is this forum glidge going to be solved?

fcw

Post by fcw »

LX you sound more and more like the former Iraqi minister of (des)information!
It is a public secret that the names have been bought by the lawyer. So no noble act at all, but simply selling company material for money.

flightlover

Post by flightlover »

fcw wrote:LX you sound more and more like the former Iraqi minister of (des)information!
It is a public secret that the names have been bought by the lawyer. So no noble act at all, but simply selling company material for money.
In that case the whole trial should be dismissed because that info can very well be 'a list of people who I don't like'.