Alitalia: rebirth after near bankruptcy

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Air Key West

Re: Alitalia: the end is near

Post by Air Key West »

To me, too, they were quite mainstream.
As to recent developments : Pilots, indeed, have accepted to sing and managed to get 1,550 full time pilots jobs and 139 part time (which is a bit better than the initial cai offer) and captains will get the status of "managerial staff" in the new airline. The two main unions of flight attendants (representing 80 % of f/a) will continue to negotiate on Monday. But can they realistically say "no" ? No. They probably just want to fight till the bitter end in order to minimise damage to their current jobs and salaries.
I don't think it will take long (certainly not 20 years) to get a return on investiment, since, with the new law on bankrupcy adopted by the Berlusconi government, the loss making part of Alitalia can and will go into a company which will be declared bankrupt (and probably the Italian tax payers will foot the bill) and the profit making parts of Alitalia will go into CAI. So, Italian and foreign (LH or AF) investors can start with a clean slate and even if the new airline does not make a profit immediately, it should be able to break even soon and to make a profit in a few years from now (if everything develops "normally", but can one expect things to develop "normally" in Italy ? Just wait and see. Give them a break !).
As to the name of the new airline, why not just keep on calling it Alitalia ? If you call it caitalia or something completely different, people will continue to call it Alitalia (especially if they keep their AZ code), just like many people still do with another airline.... ;)
In favor of quality air travel.

BelgianBoy

Post by BelgianBoy »

That reminds me the birth of SN Brussels Airlines.

Willy

cristiqs

Post by cristiqs »

From what I understand the logo and the name of Alitalia will be transfered to the new company and they will be used in the same time it was used till now. What I dont have clear yet is ... if the fleet of AirOne will be rebranded or the two companies will keep flying both brands!

A funny thing is that in Italy, some years ago Omnitel was rebranded in Vodafone. But in shops you will still find papers saying we have Omnitel pre paid cards and top up cards :-)

To celebrate the ends of the old troubles (new troubles are on the way... the new company can't screw it for the second time :-) )... I have updated my blog with Alitalia/Airone co-branded header :-) See the result here:
http://www.boardingmedia.net/blog/

Also, I got a ticket for OTP/NAP and vv. for next week. No mater how many delays and lost luggages I had with Alitalia... still like the company: they are very Balcanic :-) (no mater they are Mediterranean)

NCB

Post by NCB »

6 months ago people on the forum threw tomatoes at me for coming up with the following

Air One buying AZ
Lufthansa or Aeroflot being the foreign partner in the transaction
Unions accepting or deal go through anyway
No Air France involvement
Berlusconi would come up with solution after election, Prodi killing the airline, giving a market away to France

Now, that is almost the same as what I read on corriere.it today...

It was maybe not that crazy after all?

regi

Post by regi »

Keeping the code Az is no problem.
But keeping the name Alitalia would be one of the worst marketing decisions of the decade.
It is almost the same as with Dacia. On the website they say clearly "Dacia, group Renault"
Same with their brochures.
If they keep it calling Alitalia ,they will have to put something behind it to convince the customer that it is different, better, not more the same horrible product of the past.

bits44

Post by bits44 »

There are no strangers in the world, just friends we have yet to meet.

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

I'm a bit surprised no one else mentioned it yet: according to VRT (official broadcast for Dutch-speaking Belgium) the take-over bid from Italian venture capital - for myself I call it the Berlusconi scenario - was finally accepted by the unions of cabin crew and ground staff - these were the last to agree so the CAI deal should finally go ahead...?

(in Dutch at http://www.deredactie.be)

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

jan_olieslagers wrote:I'm a bit surprised no one else mentioned it yet: according to VRT (official broadcast for Dutch-speaking Belgium) the take-over bid from Italian venture capital - for myself I call it the Berlusconi scenario - was finally accepted by the unions of cabin crew and ground staff - these were the last to agree so the CAI deal should finally go ahead...?
Indeed, ANSA posted around 17h that all unions now have signed tha CAI-plan. But that's only the first step. Things to do next (source: ANSA):
- winning approval from the European Union;
- securing the seamless transfer of Alitalia's licenses;
- merging Alitalia's flight operations with those of Air One.

Not in the article: ENAC - Italy's CAA - said it had to recieve proof by 30/09/2008 that Alitalia had enough funds to overcome three months. Wonder if CAI will have this done by Tuesday night 24h00.

http://www.ansa.it/site/notizie/awnplus ... 37758.html

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Deus ex machina :roll:

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

luchtzak wrote:Deus ex machina
Here it is : coming from ENAC ! ! !

I only understand a few words Italian, like "ha confirmato la licenza provvisoria" and "ha validatà al 1 marzo 2009":

http://www.ansa.it/opencms/export/site/ ... 79122.html

bits44

Post by bits44 »

bits44

Post by bits44 »

The end may truly be near after failing to negotiate a deal with the Union's, all this may have been an exercise in futility.

http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1225354555.html

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

bits44 wrote:The end may truly be near after failing to negotiate a deal with the Union's, all this may have been an exercise in futility.

http://news.airwise.com/story/view/1225354555.html
Another source for these new troubles:

http://www.ansa.it/site/notizie/awnplus ... 38791.html

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

The end is really near.
CAI confirm the end of the negociation with the pilots union.
CAI stops the offer.

Bye bye AZ

LX-LGX

Post by LX-LGX »

Airbus330lover wrote:The end is really near.
CAI confirm the end of the negociation with the pilots union.
CAI stops the offer.
Bye bye AZ
update Friday late night: CAI has relaunched the bid they have withdrawn Friday evening.

www.ansa.it

(next update : Saturday around noon...)

HighInTheSky

Post by HighInTheSky »

What kind of incredible soap is this? Just let the god damn thing go bancrupt... :roll:

ExSabena

Post by ExSabena »

Yes please ... Help them to kill the beast :evil: It's an incredible soap opera !

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Meaning no offense: to me this seems the normal way of negotiating in Italy. Ever observed card players in an Italian bar?

BelgianBoy

Post by BelgianBoy »

The Italian wording for this behaviour is:

Comedia dell'Arte

Regards

Willy

ticketbuyer

Post by ticketbuyer »

And yet Alitalia is still flying.
CAI has made it's formal offer even though the pilot's and cabin crew's unions have not signed up to the deal.
The offer is valid for 30 days when, presumably, there will be yet another 'last chance'.
CAI said it was still looking for a partnership with a big airline, specifically Air France-KLM or Lufthansa.
So it's pretty much business as usual.
There's far too much political capital too be made out of the Alitalia saga to let it finish any time soon.