Russian Airlines Defending from Pregnant Women

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Nat

Russian Airlines Defending from Pregnant Women

Post by Nat »

Some Russian air carriers derogate pregnant women from their rights, according to human rights defenders. A number of airlines compel heavily pregnant women to go through a compulsory medical checkup, and in some cases even do not allow them to go aboard plane http://www.russia-ic.com/news/show/4840/
Hedgehog is a proud bird - it won`t fly unless you kick it.

fcw

Post by fcw »

Almost all airlines worldwide have the same policy: medical certificate required after more or less 7 months.

b720

Post by b720 »

heavily pregnant women are not supossed to be flying in the first place...

Nat

Post by Nat »

fcw wrote:Almost all airlines worldwide have the same policy: medical certificate required after more or less 7 months.
Yes, but the problem is that in Russia the law about air transportations does not contain any direct notices about pregnant women in particular. In this case what our airlines do is their internal laws and regulations, not the federal laws which means that in fact passengers are not obliged to be aware of them and to follow them. See the point?

Nat

Post by Nat »

b720 wrote:heavily pregnant women are not supossed to be flying in the first place...
What if she needs to fly even if she is not supposed to?

fcw

Post by fcw »

Nat wrote:[Yes, but the problem is that in Russia the law about air transportations does not contain any direct notices about pregnant women in particular. In this case what our airlines do is their internal laws and regulations, not the federal laws which means that in fact passengers are not obliged to be aware of them and to follow them. See the point?
No, I don't see the point. Airlines have terms and conditions which you have to accept when you buy a ticket. They can't go against laws, but they can be more restrictive.

TUB001

Post by TUB001 »

Nat,

It's absolutely not a question of laws and all that stuff. For once, Russian airlines have a good point on this. "Heavily" pregnant women shouldn't be flying, point. It's a question of medicine.

Regards

fcw

Post by fcw »

Nat wrote:
b720 wrote:heavily pregnant women are not supossed to be flying in the first place...
What if she needs to fly even if she is not supposed to?
Nat, I can already imagine the tittle of your post when an airplane had to make a overweight landing due to medical emergency because of a pregnant woman...
It would sound like: " Pregnant woman puts live of 300 people at risk"...

b720

Post by b720 »

I don't see the relevence of this post.. the law says that you can not be heavily preganat and fly (i think 7 months)... a woman does not wake up one morning finding herself 7 months pregnant.. she can make sure that she will not have to fly after her 28 week of preganacy.. if she really must travel she can take, train, car, bus etc..

Nat

Post by Nat »

TUB001 wrote:Nat,

It's absolutely not a question of laws and all that stuff. For once, Russian airlines have a good point on this. "Heavily" pregnant women shouldn't be flying, point. It's a question of medicine.

Regards
Hmmm... Actually it was written from a lawful point of view, not from a medical one. Concerning medicine: even if a doctor gives a pregnant woman a document confirming that she can fly on a plane, who still can guarantee that the labour does not start during the flight? :)
I think here is the topic that lays beyond the normal frames of "right-wrong"...
Last edited by Nat on 28 Sep 2007, 14:29, edited 1 time in total.

Nat

Post by Nat »

b720 wrote:I don't see the relevence of this post.. the law says that you can not be heavily preganat and fly (i think 7 months)... a woman does not wake up one morning finding herself 7 months pregnant.. she can make sure that she will not have to fly after her 28 week of preganacy.. if she really must travel she can take, train, car, bus etc..
What laws say that? European ones?
Like i said before, the Russian laws do not mention pregnant woman in particular.
Using bus, train? You know, there are different situations. Sometimes people (including pregnant women) may need to be somewhere within the shortest period of time.

Nat

Post by Nat »

fcw wrote:
Nat wrote:[Yes, but the problem is that in Russia the law about air transportations does not contain any direct notices about pregnant women in particular. In this case what our airlines do is their internal laws and regulations, not the federal laws which means that in fact passengers are not obliged to be aware of them and to follow them. See the point?
No, I don't see the point. Airlines have terms and conditions which you have to accept when you buy a ticket. They can't go against laws, but they can be more restrictive.
Yes, it comes so that the internal regulations of our airlines prohibit pregnant women do what the federal laws allow.

b720

Post by b720 »

read IATA regulations... unhindered travel up to 28th week of pregnancy, after which the pax must ALWAYS have a doctor's certificate stating good health, and date of expected delivery.. PAX NOT to fly, 4 weeks before expected delivery date.. IATA leaves it to airlines to implement regulations as they see fit, they only give guidelines i.e. laws differ depending on the airline.. Hence a preganant pax must always consult the airline before booking..

chornedsnorkack

Grounds to refuse carriage

Post by chornedsnorkack »

Can an airline have a policy, as part of their terms and conditions, not to transport any Negroes? Not to transport any Jews? Not to transport any known or suspected homosexuals?

Sure, there may be good reasons why carrying a passenger who is pregnant, or otherwise sickly, or somehow disabled, or fat, or tall can be dangerous, uncomfortable or offensive to other passengers.

But can an airline make up their own rules on those matters/refer to IATA, which is a private organization and cannot make laws? Or does an airline actually need a law valid in the country having jurisdiction spelling out what grounds they may have to refuse service?

Nat

Post by Nat »

The most amazing thing is that pregnancy is not an illness, and not a disease, but treated as if it is. Being pregnant is natural and does not mean being ill. I still see it as discrimination and am sure that airline`s regulations that do not corellate with the country`s federal laws are invalid.

Why do not airlines prohibit transportation of persons having a flu or cold, who can be sneezing and coughing during the whole flight and infect other passengers? Sure, people with a flu or cold can hide their state while a pregnant woman can`t.

And how about passengers with tuberculosis? They may be sitting next to you on a plane and you won`t even know that you`re under risk. But why only pregnant women must have a medical checkup before a flight? Shouldn`t all passengers go to the doctor before a flight in order to prove they do not have any dangerous infections that can be caught by other passengers? Or a pregnant woman is more dangerous than a person infected with tuberculosis?

It would be also reasonable to ban flights to people with serious heart diseases. What if a heart attack occurs during a flight, it also may result in forced landing and be uncomfortable to other passengers.