B.flex B.Light

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Air Key West

B.flex B.Light

Post by Air Key West »

This is a subject which might be more of interest to the passengers on this forum than to the "technicians", yet given the article in L'Echo saying B. Flex is not "taking off", it might be worthwile sharing opinions on b.air's new concepts. First, let me state that I like SN Brussels Airlines and as you will see, I don't like Brussels Airlines.
The upper management of b.air of whom one is really entitled to wonder if they are competent people (I have serious doubts) thought they had invented the wheel when they launched b.flex (= full fare economy). One must admit they never said b.flex was Business class. However, SAS already had Economy Plus (never experienced it), but I have flown Air France and KLM in their Economy Plus cabins repectively called "Tempo Challenge" and "Europe Select". My conclusion for all airlines is that "full fare economy" (whatever the airline) is the worst value for money. If you travel economy class, you should try to get the cheapest fare (even if occasionally you cannot use a ticket and loose it).
B.Air has become a cheap airline, but not necessarily with cheap tickets.
B. Flex on holiday destinations will be fairly inexpensive, but b.flex on business destinations (like Geneva for instance) is outrageously expensive.
B.Air's b.flex is a poor quality product with disastrous catering. I understand they don't want to serve Champagne in an economy class cabin, but if management had given the matter some serious thought, they would have decided to offer a sparkling white wine instead. A bottle of decent white sparkling wine costs about five euros. KLM will offer you sparkling white wine in Europe Select (full fare economy in Europe) and Air France will even offer you a glass of Champagne (also in economy class on long haul flights).
I have flown b.flex and b.light and my conclusion is to always try and get the cheapest fare in economy and forget any so-called perks in full fare economy. They are not worth the extra money. A real good Business class is well worth the money if you can afford it. Anything between a cheap economy ticket and a Business class ticket is a rip off.
In favor of quality air travel.

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

I also read the article in l'Echo and could not agree more with the conclusions of the article and your conclusions.
-B.flex is as expensive as business class on certain destinations.
-B.light is also sometimes more expensive that restricted business on certain airlines
-Catering on B.flex is of very low quality (15Gr. of chicken @ 1 euro, very cheap wine also @ 1 euro)
-In their attempt to re-launch the product, they call it now B.flex Economy +, the first line you can read is 'Up to 50% cheaper than business class', so they keep the confusion with business class and this is a false advertisement - I have documented case where they were more expensive than the competition business class.
-Lounge access for 15 euros or 3500 miles is again a sign that their management does not know what is happening in this industry. Save your miles for a free ticket.
The article has pointed out more dis-functioning of b.flex/b.light. Business passengers have said for several months that this is what we need. I paid business class on other airlines because:
-the seat in the middle is blocked – so I can both work and have a tray for meal, drinks, paper
--in case they upgrade, that middle seat remains blocked. The only time I flew b.flex, the plane was full and so they upgraded. The b.flex cabin was full, like in b.light with not enough food, not enough papers.
-more newspaper selection (including LeSoir on week ends ! )
-catering !!! I like premium champagnes and yes, Foie Gras. I can cook pasta and know it cost nothing !
-a real business lounge
-priority boarding

As for best economy class, again this is false advertisement and I fully agree, we have doubt that the upper management is competent and informed about what is going on in their market. I was shocked to read in the article that the CEO Phlippe Vander Putten told the journalist that passengers did not understand the concept ! The question is not us not understanding the concept, it is them not listening to what we want.

ERICAIRLINES

Post by ERICAIRLINES »

This management mistake comes from Vex people integrated in Bru air...they don't know anything about full services airlines...they just created an hybrid product which is not adapted to the market demand..

Bru air lost a lot of codeshares agreements because of this mistake...they will loose Etihad soon also it seems...

And i'm not sure that 9w First and Business pax will love this b flex too much also...

This company has no real management,they always follow,imitate,don't take risks anymore....

It is time for Bru air to finaly be sold to a major airline,but which company or group would be interested in such a disaster?

BA,maybe SQ or 9W...

AF/KL impossible due to skyteam,LH same for star alliance...AZ is dead,or almost..IB will also be sold soon ...

Solution and capital to finaly expand operations should come from Asia...

American carriers will never invest a cent in Bru air...

VS ??Sir Richard back ...for a continental hub like 9w ??

brussels airlines

Post by brussels airlines »

How do you all know how you have to manage an airline ?

If you are all experts in managing an airline with 50 aircrafts, 2900 staff, please let the company know that and become CEO.
Sabena went bankrupt in the worst aviation year since the second World War. In that period, you have to trie to create a profit making airline. Because don't forget that (SN)Brussels Airlines is making profit for 5 years now. I don't know wich was the situation with Sabena, but I've read somewhere that they have made profit for only 1 year.
And if you want to have an example of mismanegement, look to Sabena.

The b.flex/b.light concept is new (in Belgium) and it's logical that a new concept has to take some time before everyone knows what it is. But they are trying to manage it because know on their website everywhere you see now b.flex economy + and b.light economy.

ATC

Post by ATC »

I'm also one of the customers who think that the b.flex concept does not work. The message Bru.Air is trying to give isn't satisfying the client.

I wonder how they going to explain to a 9W First class or Business class passenger the b.flex concept ? Welcome to Europe ?

Like some other members all ready said I'm also a strong believer in a rebirth of a real business class for Bru.Air.
Nevertheless I also believe the b.light concept is working. In most cases the price is right (it depends on the route your flying and the competition on that route) but as a customer you don't have a general comfort for the service. It all depends on which aircraft you will fly. If you fly an Avro things are good, if you fly a old 737 (Virgin Express) you're not getting the same comfort. If you fly Easyjet or Vueling as a customer you always know what you will get for the price you paid, with Bru.Air it's always a surprise :?:
This brings us back to the "future airplane" story (other topic, other story).
How do you all know how you have to manage an airline ?

If you are all experts in managing an airline with 50 aircrafts, 2900 staff, please let the company know that and become CEO.
Sabena went bankrupt in the worst aviation year since the second World War. In that period, you have to trie to create a profit making airline. Because don't forget that (SN)Brussels Airlines is making profit for 5 years now. I don't know wich was the situation with Sabena, but I've read somewhere that they have made profit for only 1 year.
And if you want to have an example of mismanegement, look to Sabena.

The b.flex/b.light concept is new (in Belgium) and it's logical that a new concept has to take some time before everyone knows what it is. But they are trying to manage it because know on their website everywhere you see now b.flex economy + and b.light economy.
Hello Brussels Airlines,

I'm a little disappointed by your reaction. You have a point that some members of the luchtzak forum sometimes write "b*llsh*t".
But I can assure you that must of us are just customers. We are not airline managers, but just ("simple") passengers who see and experience things when we fly.
"it (b.flex) has to take some time before everyone knows what it is".

If the general public (after six months) don't like it you better change the strategy.

If a buy milk and I'm not happy with that milk I won't buy it again. I can always send a letter to the milkfactory why I'm not happy with that. Am I a "milkmanager" ? No I'm not, I'm just a simpel customer.
Whether the milkfactory reads my letter and all the other letters they receive is their problem. If they make good milk I will drink it, if not I will drink other milk.

Nobody said the Sabena management did a good job ?
Did we love Sabena ? Most of us did, why ?
Because it was their life and their pride.

grtz,
ATC

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

Just my 2 cents.
Good management means "listen to customers" too.

Darjeeling

Post by Darjeeling »

Would it be possible to get a copy of that article ?
I would like to read it too.
Maybe b.fleex is not a success story, but b.light is one. SN planes are often full now in the back and revenue dramatically improved. So at least they succeded with two targets:
* Higher profitability on short/medium haul.
* Much higher seat occupations.
But obviously b.flex is a concern. Their FF program too in my opinion (almost impossible to redeem miles on other airlines).

brussels airlines

They have listened to the customers. As they said already at the beginning, they have asked more than 5.000 passengers what they want when they fly.
Most of them want to fly at the lowest fare, (look to the success of Ryanair). But of course their are business people, who want to fly as quick as possible and they want to have some extra services on board. But most of the companies don't want to pay anymore for business class seats. They are looking for cheaper tickets etc. Brussels Airlines offers now a b.flex ticket, wich is actually made for the businessmen. Businessmen don't need champagne on board, they just want to fly quick and comfortable and they don't want to loose time at the airport.
The only people who will really miss the Business class, are those who want to fly in an luxury style.
4 years ago I have flown Austrian Airlines and Lufthansa in Business class and this summer I have flown b.flex, their is really no difference exept the free glass of champagne and the price.

ATC, when your buying a glass milk and you don't like it, you indeed don't buy it again. So when you don't like b.flex or b.light, don't fly Brussels Airlines. But their is a difference between not liking and not knowing. When I'm buying a new car, I'm also going to test it and watch wich advantages and disadvantages it has. When I'm flying a new type of product like b.flex and b.light, I'm going to watch wich I get for my money.

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

-The article was published on front page/continued on page 6 of L'Echo - Friday 6.
-I also want to insist that when I buy a ticket, it is not with the intention to make the airline profitable of not ! I expect value for money.
-Indeed the FFP is a very big concern ! As Star Alliance Gold, when paying any kind of economy fare, I get free meal in economy on BMI, priority access through security. I am Platinum Brussels Airlines and don't get that. I can give you plenty of examples where this program just does not work in today's global airline business.
-The new name of 'B.flex Economy +' – don’t forget the + sign’ is just ridiculous. As the world go flat and anyone can access the Brussels Airlines web site, such a name is extremely confusing and is just, once again a sign of lack of understanding what this market is about.
Economy + is used by United Airlines for instance and it means a few more inches of leg room – which makes seating more comfortable than in economy.
-Don’t forget that Brussels Airlines has still a business class to some European destination such as Moscow. I tried once and although it is advertised, check in refused to block the seat next to me because the flight was full ! I even asked for a manager – the flight care manager laughed at me and the people of Brussels Airlines could care less because the plane was full and I had to understand. I now fly Lufthansa via Frankfurt but get a real business class service !

ERICAIRLINES

Post by ERICAIRLINES »

b light is mostly a good value depending on the destination..but b flex is not working...i work in a business travel agency,and you can believe me,we have customers who still want business class in europe and still want to pay extra money for that...and not a few...this b flex makes AF,LH,Ba etc...very happy...they can recup the ex Business Bru air customers....
Thanks again

Don t forget the customers are spending high on ticket value,which means lost of money for Bru air on this essential segment (high yield)

Airbus330lover

Post by Airbus330lover »

brussels airlines wrote:They have listened to the customers. As they said already at the beginning, they have asked more than 5.000 passengers what they want when they fly.
I know it and it is anormal way before any change.
But, every new concept needs an adaptation after some month of use.
You'r right with the fact that we dont't need full confort as in first on european outes, but the concept is not clear enough and certainly for people in codeshare or transit....

ATC

Post by ATC »

They have listened to the customers. As they said already at the beginning, they have asked more than 5.000 passengers what they want when they fly.
Most of them want to fly at the lowest fare, (look to the success of Ryanair).
Like I said the b.light concept works. But Bru.Air is not a LCC. They lack the LCC structure and the proper LCC planes. (737-A319/320).
Many people are trying the b.light concept. They (90% of the general public) buy a cheap ticket to go from A to B. But if they buy the same ticket with Easyjet, Vueling, AirBerlin, Ryanair ... the get the "comfort" of a new plane. It will not take long before the general public realises this and then Bru.Air b.light will also have a problem.
But of course their are business people, who want to fly as quick as possible and they want to have some extra services on board. But most of the companies don't want to pay anymore for business class seats. They are looking for cheaper tickets etc. Brussels Airlines offers now a b.flex ticket, which is actually made for the businessmen. Businessmen don't need champagne on board, they just want to fly quick and comfortable and they don't want to loose time at the airport.
The only people who will really miss the Business class, are those who want to fly in an luxury style.
It's 100% true that many companies don't buy expensive business tickets to send their employee or customer from point A to B.
But it also 100% true that some people still wants business class and the prestige that comes with it, nevertheless what the ticket may cost.
And I can assure you this people want lounge access and a free glass of champagne. This people will not chose a LCC but they are ready to pay many € for travelling.
For the moment Bru.Air lost or is loosing this segment entirely.
One business class seat pays a lot of b.lights seats.
ATC, when your buying a glass milk and you don't like it, you indeed don't buy it again. So when you don't like b.flex or b.light, don't fly Brussels Airlines. But their is a difference between not liking and not knowing. When I'm buying a new car, I'm also going to test it and watch which advantages and disadvantages it has. When I'm flying a new type of product like b.flex and b.light, I'm going to watch which I get for my money.
If a drink a glass of milk I do know how it tastes. If I fly b.light and b.flex several times I do know how it "tastes". If I fly other companies I do know the difference.
So indeed liking and knowing is not the same :wink: .

grtz,
ATC

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

brussels airlines wrote:They have listened to the customers. As they said already at the beginning, they have asked more than 5.000 passengers what they want when they fly.
-A typical of survey is Coke ! When they introduced the new formula, they had a survey and 98% were in favor of Coke New Formula. Management decide to launch the product...chaos...3 months after, they put Classic Coke back on the shelf...
-There is a survey on this very web site. Out of the 3600 votes, more than 57% do not like the b.flex/b.light concept
Sorry but they don't listen ! Told them several to open the fast lane for security to Platinum (LHR: fast lane for British Airways Premium members and I can give you more examples) and that fast lane in Brussels remains...empty !

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

ATC wrote:And I can assure you this people want lounge access and a free glass of champagne. This people will not chose a LCC but they are ready to pay many € for travelling.
ATC
Yes, Krug or Dom Perignon in C/F....W9 understood that right away

Air Key West

Post by Air Key West »

I agree with most of what has been said here, except for "brussels airlines". Dear "brussels airlines", I don't want to offend you, but just like Brussels Airlines you don't seem to be willing to listen or to understand what everybody is saying. B.Flex is poor value for money and the new strategy doesn't seem to work.
Like you, Ducatibiker, I have moved a substantial part of my business to LH. They are the airline which has the least disappointed me in recent times. And when you get elite status with LH, it is recognised by sixteen other airlines. If you get elite stauts with SN, it is hardly recognised by just one airline. So, I know I will be losing my SN Gold card, but I don't mind. I also lost my AF-KL Gold card because I stopped flying them because they treat their passengers like a four letter English word, and I am not prepared to take it. So, LH and its Star Alliance partners are seeing me more and more on their planes. With them you have the feeling you are flying with real professionals, not with amateurs full of themselves.
And, Dear "brussels airlines", I know b.air claims they have sounded 5,000 people before launching their new products, but marketing surveys sometimes go wrong, just like polls before an election can go wrong.
What b.air has succeeded to achieve is that people who still can afford to fly in Business class have switched to airlines which still have a Business class (thus, loosing high yield passengers) and as to passengers looking for the cheapest ticket, they now have every reason to check out the competition (Ryanair, Easyjet) since b.air isn't really offering anything more than these competitors. So, b.air are loosing on both fronts. I know some people flying in economy were loyal to SN Brussels Airlines because they knew they would be getting a free sandwich and free drinks. Now, they cannot be bothered whether they fly b.air, Ryan or EZY.
Ericairlines, I agree with you : the best thing which could probably happen to the b.air employees and to Belgian air travellers is that the airline is bought up by another airline. My secret hope is that eventually 9W will buy them to set up their own European airline to meet their own needs and standards. I've never flown with them, but the first impression is that they know the market needs and act as industry professionals.
In favor of quality air travel.

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

I have been Circle, then Platinum...and have accumulated more than 3 million miles. I will lose my Platinum and as you, I am not worried. When the Flight Care Manager laughed at me when I asked to block the seat next to me in Business (because Brussels Airlines still has a business class in Europe on certain flights), she laughed at me. Her answer showed me clearly that for her b.flex was business class and the business class on the Moscow flight was b.flex! But when the Brussels Airlines desk themselves did not want to do anyting...then I realised that Platnium is worth nothing....I flew this week on British Midland, I was with two other passengers in Business Class....and we all had champagne.

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

This discussion on champagne/no champagne/ not enough champagne/not good enough champagne - gets quite fascinating ( and hilarious ).
I had not yet fully realized the importance of champagne in aviation...

brussels airlines

So, it's clearly that most of you people don't like the b.flex/b.light concept. That's your opinion ofcourse, but we'll only know of it is successfull after they lounge the official results at the beginnign of 2008. What I can tell you is that during the summer they have transported 6% more pax as during last year. In 2006, more than 5 million people have flown on SN/VEX. Let us wait when the results of 2007 wille be announced.

to Air Key west: The people here, are not all the passengers in general.
I do know that b.flex is for some people not very clear. And I do know that they need to work on that, I also know that their are problems with code-shares, etc.

My father worked for 6 years in Germany. He had to fly several times in the week. He became Lufthansa Senator (gold). This year we wanted to book our holiday with his free miles. He had so many miles that we could fly with 4 persons for free to any destination in Business. But we just wanted to Portugal. On every date he suggested to Lufthansa, it was not possible to fly with these miles.

To Ducatibiker: Wich name would you suggest to make clear b.flex ?

Ducatibiker

Post by Ducatibiker »

brussels airlines wrote: To Ducatibiker: Wich name would you suggest to make clear b.flex ?
The only suggestion I can make is the same as the one to be found in the conclusion of the article: time to review this concept and put business class back.
I can add my experience with UA. They cancell their first class on some domestic flights...Ted was born. After a few months they had to put First class back not only for the transit passengers coming from their international flights but also for their premium members (who are given an opportunity to upgrade for electronic upgrades, miles or even $ per 500 miles segments - 48 hours before)

brussels airlines

Ok, so it's clear you would review the b.flex concept.

Would you install Business Class back ? Or would you just change some things at the current b.flex concept.

Anyway, I'm pretty sure that Brussels Airlines didn't stop offering Business class tickets without any reason. The former Business class of SN Brussels Airlines was definitely as good as that from Lufthansa, I had the experience. So, their are two reasons why they stopt offering it:
1. The loadfactor was to low
2.The consequence: it doesn't make money.

I have flown with b.air:

Brussels-Geneva-Brussels: loadfactor for b.light and b.flex was high.
Brussels-Faro-Brussels: loadfactor for b.light and b.flex was high.