Heavy gate shortage at BRU?

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

SabenaForever

Heavy gate shortage at BRU?

Post by SabenaForever »

Hi

I'am wondering and thinking what Brussels Airport will do from september... From that month Jet Airways will also fly the route to Toronto and Delhi! And if if you count than al the heavy's that leaving BRU around the same time (morning)!

Where will they put al these planes?

Daily visitors

Jet Airways: 4 flights
Brussels Airlines: around 3 flights
American Airlines: 2 flighs
Delta Airlines: 2 flights
Continental: 1 flight
United: 1 flight
NWA: 1 flight
plus sometimes there will be a charter from Jetairfly or Martinair!

greetz

blackhawk

Re: Heavy gate shortage at BRU?

Post by blackhawk »

SabenaForever wrote:Hi

I'am wondering and thinking what Brussels Airport will do from september... From that month Jet Airways will also fly the route to Toronto and Delhi! And if if you count than al the heavy's that leaving BRU around the same time (morning)!

Daily visitors

greetz
Don't forget Etihad, US Airways and also the smaller aircrafts operating from these gates.

spotter1102

Re: Heavy gate shortage at BRU?

Post by spotter1102 »

SabenaForever wrote:Hi

Daily visitors

greetz
Don't forget :

US Airways : 1 flight

The United is parked on a remote stand after it's arrival

SabenaForever

Post by SabenaForever »

Your right Blackhawk, i forgot to mention al the little aircraft,like BA or Aer lingus,... Etihad is not a trouble i think, they leave late in the evening..

b720

Post by b720 »

Never a problem.. planes can park off terminal (close to old pier) pax transported by bus from the gates lower level of terminal B..at peak hours, done in most airports throughout the world.. actually that makes more sense specially for aircraft with about +2 hrs turnaraound ex. most US carriers..this way gates are freed up for flights within non schengen europe turnaround of approx. 45 min...

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Besides those heavies, you have also BA, Aer Lingus, VLM, LX, PS, Brussels Airlines and the Turkisch airliners.

Little problem I think for the near future.
Last edited by Atlantis on 12 Jul 2007, 16:43, edited 1 time in total.

blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

but isn't is possible to handle those small planes at the A pier?

OO-VEX

Post by OO-VEX »

Atlantis wrote:Besides those heavies, you have also BA, Aer Lindus, VLM, LX, PS, Brussels Airlines and the Turkisch airliners.
Are those VLM planes (and other small airplanes) parked at a gate or a remote stand? I thought you need to catch the bus from the interim departure lounge to board those airplanes.
Atlantis wrote:Little problem I think for the near future.
Little or even no problem I believe, as the Schengen area will be enlarged in the future. The new Eastern European countries and even Switzerland will join the Schengen Area. Think about all those GVA flights we have per day which will move to terminal A or the new low-cost terminal in the case of Easyjet and Sky Europe :?:

OO-VEX

Outsync

Post by Outsync »

I think this is all foreseen, dont you think...?
My opinion is the brussels airport is not even close to running at full capacity..

VLM is never parked at a gate, they are always parked at stand 400+ infront of the buildings from flightcare. Most propellored aircrafts are parked there Lufthansa Regional aswell..

flywim

Post by flywim »

Outsync wrote: VLM is never parked at a gate, they are always parked at stand 400+ infront of the buildings from flightcare. Most propellored aircrafts are parked there Lufthansa Regional aswell..
Not true:

-All Lufthansa flights are parked at the A-terminal, except the ATR flying to Hanover and Nurnberg, which are parked at remote stands. All other CRJ flights are parked nose in, passengers have to take the stairs and walk over the tarmac.
-KLM uses the same system as LH, also for all flights (F50,F70,F100).
-Since a few months SAS is parking their Dash-8 also nose in.
-Air France is also parking their ERJ and CRJ at the A-terminal.
-Most VLM flights are also parked at the B-terminal, as they pay for
these facilities, and it 's better for the turnaround time of each aircraft.
-BMI regional is parking their ERJ on remote stands during the morning, in the afternoon and evening you can find them most of the times parked at the B-terminal.
I used to work for GlobeGround and Aviapartner, so I know their procedures.
Off course it can always happen that their not enough stands available and that they are parked remote.
brgds

Outsync

Post by Outsync »

What I see is that all propellored aircrafts are parked at 400+ positions... There might but a few exceptions occasionally but very rare...

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Outsync wrote:What I see is that all propellored aircrafts are parked at 400+ positions... There might but a few exceptions occasionally but very rare...
I see a lot of times the VLM's at the B-terminal, not a few exceptions like you said, but daily.

@00-VEX

It IS a problem for the near future. I don't think that we will see this year or begin next year a low-cost terminal or an extended A-terminal, don't you think?

Jet Airways is starting next month and in September and later this year with new flights. When they will fly all destinations then we speak about 10 daily flights. And then we don't mention the possibility of other new long haul airlines who will come.

In the Macquarie Airports reverse roadshow I red that Brussels Airport is aware of this problem at the B-terminal with the new American and India flights. They are going to solve the problems, how, that was not mentioned.

But I'm convinced that a LCC-terminal will become reality when we see the announcements recently of Vueling and Easyjet.
Those will create space when they could move to this terminal. And maybe they could split up the A-terminal in a schengen and non-schengen?

Homo Aeroportus

Post by Homo Aeroportus »

Ain't this funny.

It was not so long ago that some were heard saying that the A-pier was a wrong investment ! :wink:

Now is there really a problem today? It may be one but of the sweetest kind. An empty airport would be a real problem.
Positive thinking please.

Now it is true that the B-Pier will be pretty crowded at some times with all these Heavies in the morning. A specific problem could be the handling of the transit Pax from Jet Airways, adding to those waiting to start their journey. Maybe using the IRDL as transit lounge?

Concerning the A-Pier, I don't think Atlantis that it can accept Non-Schengen arrivals; you'd need to plug in an immigration section and I don't see room for this. (and if there is room, let's make money out of it with a bar or a shop... :D ).

Anyhow, there is still room to grow as a number of A-gates are pretty much under used. I'd figure BruPort could get an additional 50% by getting all the 31 gates used as much as those that are the "best sellers" today, and that does not even mean they are saturated.

And hey, should the worst(?) happen, the original plan included a western wing to the A-Pier, no? The numbering doesn't start with gate A01 today !

Go BruPort, Go !

MiStEr-T

Post by MiStEr-T »

Someone knows why the end of the A prier isn't used ? I mean the remote stands gates at the very end of the prier..., and why there is a separation between this zone and the rest of the prier ?

brussels airlines

Post by brussels airlines »

I think you mean gates A71 and A72 ?

A72 is a normal gate with a jetbridge, I don't know about A71. But the remote gates of pier A are on level 0 from pier A (gates A30-A39).

What I know about A71 is that it has a security check-point (metal detector and handbags machine.

SabenaForever

Post by SabenaForever »

Maybe a reopening of the C-pier could be a solution in the future, before the new LCC terminal is ready... Or is the terminal no more "up to date"?

FLY4HOURS.BE

Post by FLY4HOURS.BE »

Funny thread :D

Then how did they manage when Sabena had their 90+ aircraft based?
Plus all the long-haul carriers that left BRU?
Fly4hours, making the path to airline pilot affordable to all

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

Little or even no problem I believe, as the Schengen area will be enlarged in the future. The new Eastern European countries and even Switzerland will join the Schengen Area. Think about all those GVA flights we have per day which will move to terminal A
True, normally from Januari, all new member states join Schengen for what concerns land and maritime borders, and from March (beginning or end, my memory fails me here), for aerial borders.

But that doesn't necessarily mean that they will free up that much space. Sometimes in the gates between 2 larger aircrafts, a small one can still be parked. That doesn't mean that if that small one moves to the A terminal, that a large aircraft can be parked in that space while the other 2 large aircrafts are still standing there.

But I agree it is a luxury problem :D So what is for some time some long haul flights need to work with remote stands. Not even sure if the passengers would mind, as the walk in the pier is shorter from the remote gates, than from the back of the pier.

Just an idea: can't they put the tent for the remote gates somewhere else and use that space for an extra normal gate? The tent is anyway only used for departing passengers, arriving passengers are dropped of immediately at the terminal B.

BTW: I can't wait to see the A terminal more used (because of the enlargement of Schengen). It can use it. Only Poland is already 5 daily flights, etc.

Greets,

Pieter

Flybe

Post by Flybe »

Maybe a reopening of the C-pier could be a solution in the future, before the new LCC terminal is ready... Or is the terminal no more "up to date"?
Based on a PM I got about a year ago, from someone in Brussels Airport: really not up to date anymore. That would even be an understatement.

Greets,

Pieter

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

FLY4HOURS.BE wrote:Funny thread :D

Then how did they manage when Sabena had their 90+ aircraft based?
Plus all the long-haul carriers that left BRU?
Very simple. In the 90's you had the satellite, C-terminal, all the remote stands in front of the cleaning building of Sabena, there was no A-terminal but that place was heavy used as remote stands. In the morning some of the heavies of Sabena and City Bird had their stand. Even the Jumbo of Lufthansa Cargo had their its position.

The airport was then used at its full capacity.