Brussels Airport noise problems: the story continues ...

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

killerwhale65

Brussels Airport noise problems: the story continues ...

Post by killerwhale65 »

This week in the news:

A judge from Brussels said that the inhabitants from around the airport have the right to demand 5000€ from the government per infraction of the current noise restrictions. Currently it is Brussels itself that should demand the 5000€, but they have never done this because negociations about the problem are still taking place. So from the beginning of May, the inhabitants will be able to demand 5000€ per infraction from the federal government. Minister Landuyt already went into appeal, but says that if the appeal is lost, they have no other option but to pay. To be continued ...

More here (in Dutch): http://www.vrtnieuws.net/nieuwsnet_mast ... ndex.shtml
Matthias Thoen
MicroWings - Aviation Hobby Store

krist0f

Post by krist0f »

Oh no.. them again! It's really time these people get a grip. If you choose to live near a major city or a major airport you are also accepting the fact that there will be more important noise levels even during off times. Imagine the people in New York City asking for fines to be paid every time a fire truck or police car siren goes past! Come on it's time these people do a reality check.. The airport's been there for many years now and long before most of those people moved into their houses. If they're not happy with the noise they can move to somewhere more quiet.. I hope this story's gonna end sometime because it's just ridiculous, but hey, after all it's Belgium.. a crazy country with crazy laws and crazy governments.. what else can we expect of our judicial system? ;)

Cheers,

K-

Bruspotter

Post by Bruspotter »

Hello

Wow , that's what I call earn quick , soon they don't have to be working for getting their bills payed!

It's quite a lot money for a single plane.:s

Best regards: Yannick ;)

SFo

Post by SFo »

Totally agree. The airport was build during WW2. Most of these people were not even born. They got their land and houses much cheaper than in other places around Brussels because it was near the airport.

And now they want to get money because there is noise? It's like building your house along the coast and complain because there are boats passing by. Nonsense. But everywhere there is a little money to take, Belgians are not affraid to make fool of themselves.

AVION1

Post by AVION1 »

Same problem in France.

offensive word removed - sn26567 people. They want CDG to be close like ORY during Night! AMAZING.

95% of these people bought their house, knowing that CDG might be a huge airport, with 4 runways.
They bought in the surarounding of CDG because taxes are lowered and now they want the airport to be close by night and constrain in terms of annual flight mouvements.

CRAZY COUNTRY TOO!!!

I hate those people

regi

Post by regi »

This is the price of our hypocritical democratic society.
Protest would silence very quickly if the protesters would have to identify themselves on an european list. And when they fly to their holiday destinations, they must pay - let's say the double - for a ticket.
With that extra money the airports can pay the fines.

pijaleu

Post by pijaleu »

I fully agree with Krist0f. I know people who live near the airport for more then 30 years and they never complained. And in those days airplanes made a hell more noise than the new ones these days.
Everyone moved towards the airport for its low prices on ground and taxes. They must have heard those planes allready when they bought or built their house. They have no argument on complaining.

On the other hand I can imagine it's not pleasant when a plane comes over your house when you're watching some kind of silly soap series on telly, or when you've a headage (not today, honey) and can't sleep.

One solution I see is that our goverment tries to reduce the noisy (mostly old) planes during night (let's say 22.00-06.00) and have all those freighters during daytime. But I think this it unrealistic. For us, spotters, it would be great to have all these freighters at daylight.

I hope local politicians who are supporting the complainers (but just for their votes, I can tell you that) will get some common sense. They also get the advantages of the airport nearby.
We allready lost DHL (moving to Leipzig). Who will follow? I hope the people who are complaining to be the next player to move out, and not some other great airline that has dozens of employees who will then loose their job.

I wouldn't mind switching houses with one of those complainers. But hey, I think they will complain about the birds singing in the trees at 05.30.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

SFo wrote:They got their land and houses much cheaper than in other places around Brussels because it was near the airport.
I beg to disagree. The people who are compalining now mainly live in the East of Brussels (Oost rand). They paid a high price for their land and houses (I had been looking myself in that area around 1999). That was when the planes were taking off according to the directiion of the wind (and good sense!). Those people were rarely incommodated by noise.

But then Mr Anciaux decided that everybody should have his share of the noise, and he invented the dispersion plan, mainly to have less noise for himself in Neder-over-Heembeek.

I understand that peopel who paid dearly for their property (and the relative silence around it) complain because the State changed the rules of the game.

Let us come back to good sense: take-off and landing above the least populated areas, and a state premium for those inhabitants who need to isolate their house against noise (like in Liège).
André
ex Sabena #26567

SN_fan

Post by SN_fan »

sn26567 wrote:But then Mr Anciaux decided that everybody should have his share of the noise, and he invented the dispersion plan, mainly to have less noise for himself in Neder-over-Heembeek.
Didn't this story began with Isabelle Durant (Ecolo) who changed the routes when "nobody" was complaining.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

SN_fan wrote:Didn't this story began with Isabelle Durant (Ecolo) who changed the routes when "nobody" was complaining.
It's true that she opened Pandora's box, but she made only minor changes. The famous dispersion plan that inconveniences everybody is Anciaux's child.
André
ex Sabena #26567

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

and it goes on ...

A new arrest from today February 27 says the government has to pay 725.000 euro to the inhabitants of the Oostrand. This is the very first tme the dispersion plan will cost the government money. The money has to be paid because of (so-called) misuse of runway 02/20 between 27 april 2005 and 12 march 2006. This runway should only be used under special circumstances. Following the judge this was not always the case.

The inhabitants will donate their money to the action groups so that they can continue their fight against the airport.

in Dutch: http://tinyurl.com/266w7j
Matthias Thoen
MicroWings - Aviation Hobby Store

regi

Post by regi »

I should have invested in real estate over there. And say that I would transfer the money I receive. But keep it in my pocket. Oh yes, that will be the truth: they will not transfer it.

Bruspotter

Post by Bruspotter »

Hello

Oh god! Don't make it start again. It makes me feel bad every time! It's really a nightmare!

I think a judge who knows nothing about aviation and certainly nothing about ATC and aviation safety should not judge about the proper or not proper use of Runways. Anyway... it really sucks. I don't get one thing.

I the *** don't know why that money goes (if it ever does) to the action commities in the 'Oostrand' wile exactly THAT action group can NEVER find any trouble of planes landing at RWY 02. It's total bull*** they come flying from the South and most planes come to turn in from the East (East seen in the direction of Kortenberg en beyond)so will never ever fly anyway NEAR Brussels. Don't get it :s

Best regards: Yannick ;)