Brussels Airport: figures per month for 2006

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Atlantis

Brussels Airport: figures per month for 2006

Post by Atlantis »

As this topic also is broken or dissapperared I started it again.

For May, Bru received 1.548.000 pax, that's an increase of 5.3%.
Especially Extra-EU is doing very well.

Also business traffic is growing very fast and this due to the new flights of Condor (Munich) and SNBA (Frankfurt).

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

For May BRU handeled 23.181 flights, that's an increase of 3.8% with the same period of last year.

May was an excellent month for BRU.

I did some research about this traffic figure, it was according to me huge, and I was right. We have to go back to October 2002 to have such a figure.

Good job BRU.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Brucargo handeled 57.596 tons in May. That's an increase of 3,17% in compare with the same month of last year.

star alliance

Post by star alliance »

Hello Atlantis,

I think it is because of Icelandair Cargo with their new flights to Reykjavik that Brussels handeled more cargo.

Greets,
Star alliance.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Indeed, Icelandair Cargo is a new player but also there was a better payload for the other cargo carriers.

OO-VEX

Post by OO-VEX »

Atlantis wrote:but also there was a better payload for the other cargo carriers.
Do you have more information about that?

OO-VEX

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Sorry about that, but I can't give those figures without permission of the carriers. When they will give the half month figures, no problem, but I don't take that risk.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

The June numbers for pax: its an increase of 3,4% in compare with the same month last year. BRU received in June 1.549.000 pax.

In June Ethiopian Airlines and Smartwings fly for the first time to BRU. Eastern airways opened a route to Cardiff.

We could not expected a big boost of pax with those new carriers, but in the next coming months it has to be.

The figures are positive, but not good enough.

ATC

Post by ATC »

When I was looking the www.biac.be site, I saw that the intra-EU and extra-EU flights are doing very well. Especially the extra-EU !

BUT, I also saw that the charter flights are doing very bad.
Just some numbers (charters flights, passenger numbers are in thousands)

------ 2005 - 2006
JAN / 142 / 91 / -36%
FEB / 141 / 88 / -38%
MAR / 171 / 120 / -30%
APR / 283 / 202 / -29%
MAY / 375 / 239 / -36%

I know that TUI and Thomas Cook are using Ostend and Liege more and more often. But I didn't know the situation at BRU was that bad.

I'm a missing something ?

grtz,
ATC

Avro

Post by Avro »

ATC wrote: I know that TUI and Thomas Cook are using Ostend and Liege more and more often. But I didn't know the situation at BRU was that bad.
That's strange indeed. I thought that TUI and Thomas Cook increased their capacity in BRU and TNT also expanded service in BRU. Logic would say that the figures should go up as well :confused:

I hope someone has an explanation

Chris

ATC

Post by ATC »

Maybe biac have done some magic ?

Maybe they have created some charters into regular services. Most charter airlines sell regular seats for the charter destinations they fly to.
It would also explain the spectacular boost for extra-EU flights.

ATC

ATC

Post by ATC »

http://www.vrtnieuws.net/nieuwsnet_mast ... ndex.shtml

Little translation...
BRU Airport seems doing better.

The first half year BRU airport (Zaventem) is reached almost 9 million passengers. This is an increase of 4,5 percent in comparison with the same period last year.

June 30th was a record day for BRU. More than 64.000 people arrived and departed that day. Also the Easter holidays was the busiest ever: they handled more than 400.000 passengers, an increase of 14 percent.

Biac (Brussels International Airport Company) says the numbers are growing because of the big offer of cheap flights.

:arrow: 9 million the first six months :?: :?:
I don't think this figure is correct.

Maybe somebody has correct information...

ATC

Kapitein

Post by Kapitein »

I've 7,8 million pax on my counter for the first 6 months of 2006. :wink:

(Press release by BIAC)

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

@ ATC and Avro,

Don't worry guys. The charter flights are still doing fine at BRU. But the fact that you have in charter activities a huge decrease is only made by Thomas Cook Airlines. Why? They turned their charter flights into scheduled flights, that's why you have a major decrease.

So, there is only a move from charter to intra-EU.

I hope this will clear the sky :wink:

ATC

Post by ATC »

Thank you Atlantis for clearing up this misunderstanding.

This action by Thomas Cook would indeed explain a part of the strong boost for the intra- and extra-EU flights.

ATC

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

The big boost of extra-EU is made by, for a part, Etihad and Martinair

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

Belgocontrol registered 23.015 movements on the airport. That's an increase of 0,31% compared with the same month last year.

For the first six months, Belgocontrol registered 126.062 movements on the airport. That's an increase of 0,69% in compare with the first six months of last year.

:offtopic: BIAC is looking to strenghten the department who's task is to search new airlines who will fly to Zaventem. They are looking for charters and scheduled airlines. One of our managers of my company will going to work for them now.
I expect in the next coming years a dozen new airlines at the airport. For this year the airport welcomed six new airlines. At this moment two other airlines will going to fly this year to Zaventem.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Atlantis wrote:For this year the airport welcomed six new airlines. At this moment two other airlines will going to fly this year to Zaventem.
To be fair, you (or BIAC) should also mention the number of airlines that left Brussels Airport this year, either by lack of profitability or because of bankruptcy or for whatever other good reason...
André
ex Sabena #26567

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

sn26567 wrote:
Atlantis wrote:For this year the airport welcomed six new airlines. At this moment two other airlines will going to fly this year to Zaventem.
To be fair, you (or BIAC) should also mention the number of airlines that left Brussels Airport this year, either by lack of profitability or because of bankruptcy or for whatever other good reason...
Ok, for the first six months there are two airlines who left the airport: Air Wales and Malmö Aviation.

Atlantis

Post by Atlantis »

For July, there was an increase in pax of 1,4% in compare with the same month last year. BRU welcomed 1.786.000 pax.

Intra-EU was a slight increase, but the biggest increase is again for Extra-EU thanks to the new EU-members, Etihad, Ethiopian Airlines and the USA-flights.

But this result is not a good sign. July is the busiest month for BRU and there is only a small increase. Except the Sydney results is this the weakest of all in the portfolio of Macquarie Airports.

Charter activities are still the same, no increase or new destinations. The "home player" SNBA is not moving at all.

But, you can see that May and June and now August and probably September are growing faster then July.