Ryanair claimed unsafe in upcoming UK TV documentary

Join this forum to discuss the latest news that happened in the world of commercial aviation.

Moderator: Latest news team

Buzz

Post by Buzz »

Junkers52 wrote:O'Leary reckons Ryanair will be out at $100.00.
If Ryanair would be 'out' because of fuel prices, I'd recon they would be the ones who'll turn out the light in the industry and lock the door. There are A LOT of airlines that are less capable of dealing with even higher oil prices than FR.

MOL is a smart man: he says he won't add a fuel surcharge, but who will notice that the average fare rises when it has to? With FR's variable system, it's hard to notice...

Sebas

Post by Sebas »

Emirates wrote:If you pay second class prices, be prepared for second class product. Why do people expect so much? I don't think that its unfair to charge for things, when you giving away fares for 1p+tax.

I don't think Ryanair has a monopoly really, if you take Belgium for an example, Ryanair has a very hard time here. I'm sure we won't see them at Zaventem in the future, if SN have anything to do with it.

Emirates
Ryanair is not a second class airline, it's third class. Ryanair is the European cattle airline.

I never flew with it, I will never fly with it and I advise all my friends to avoid Ryanair. Someday I will be happy that I have this policy.

Regards,
Sebas

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

So then who actually watched the programme? I did and it was very interesting. Not a great day for the PR department today I assure you!
I'm looking forward to a documentary on Easyjet and friends... !

Emirates

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Emirates writes :

"Ryanair is not a second class airline, it's third class. Ryanair is the European cattle airline.

I never flew with it, I will never fly with it and I advise all my friends to avoid Ryanair."

It's amazing how Ryanair can stirr up passions !
Frankly, I have flown quite a few times with Ryanair ( I have logged some 80 hours with them), and I still fail to see what is so wrong with them. Of course, keeping in mind it is an LCC...
They have opened up the skies for a lot of people who couldn't afford to fly before, and they must be thanked for it, anyway.

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

@airazurxtror Hey mate, don't go miss quoting me there. As many people will know here, I am one of their biggest supporters. Maybe just re-do you post. Many thanks!

Emirates

elnombre

Post by elnombre »

Look dear members, we have to accept some facts.
Ryanair is like ALDI or Lidl. Cheap, unpleasant to visit, but no outdated products, no safety problems. Their staff strikes less than Carrefour or Auchan. Not really dirty. Just, unpleasant. I rather go to more upmarket shops. But I do economize as well - sometimes.
O'Learry is just a bookkeeper - see his curriculum. He would hate it if a Ryanair jet would crash. Because of the costs involved. And it is thanks to his "Scrooge" mentality that millions of people can afford it to fly all over Europe. It is thanks to the same mentality of the Aldi twin brother (the richiest men of Germany btw) that many europeans can enjoy smoked salmon.
I bit of a latecomer to this thread but I am completely stunned. I actually agree with Regi about something 8O
This must be a first
Best Regards
El Nombre
PS Going to lie down :wink:

Rayman

Post by Rayman »

Sebas wrote:Ryanair is not a second class airline, it's third class. Ryanair is the European cattle airline.

I never flew with it, I will never fly with it and I advise all my friends to avoid Ryanair. Someday I will be happy that I have this policy.

Another victim of the propaganda, and quite offensive too by calling millions of Europeans "cows".

You never flew with it, you'll never do it and you dare to give advise :?: Based on what :?: And maybe your friends also waste their time by listening to your virtual experiences.

While you're busy advising your friends you can also tell them what can happen when you have more than 25min turn-around:
https://www.aviation24.be/postx15424-0-0.htmlreturns
https://www.aviation24.be/postt15330.html
https://www.aviation24.be/postt14939.html
https://www.aviation24.be/postx14390-0-0.htmlbrubru
https://www.aviation24.be/postx14375-0-0.htmlbrubru
https://www.aviation24.be/postx10142-0-0.html
Etc...Etc...Etc...

rares_dan

Post by rares_dan »

...also in US some Southwest Airlines flights had only a 20 minutes turn-around. And the age of some of that planes...
Seems like someones are pretty angry with Ryanair. 35 milion pax carried, no major incident and over 100 planes (young) fleet are things hard to accept.

Boeing767copilot

Post by Boeing767copilot »

The answer of Michael O'Leary today: 3 million free tickets ..... thanks Channel 4 and ‘Dispatches’! Good news for us: customers and people who like to fly cheap and safe from a to b !

earthman

Post by earthman »

Does Ryanair really have these non-reclining seats that are as straight up as the front overwing exit row on a 737-400?

JetB

Post by JetB »

Is somebody at Ryanair on crack !, "Ryanair's outstanding service" !!!!!.

Now that is something I don't even hear the Lidl / Aldi say..... :wink:

For a TV station it is about the ratings, the higher the better !, look at the Telefacts story a year ago about the bomb on a AA aircraft @ BRU, same thing.... bad reporting !.

Anyway a game being played under the belt in typical Ryanair style, I think Channel 4 and Ryanair are a perfect match !.

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

On Ryanair's website they have posted all the documentation in regard to the programme, makes for light afternoon reading.

http://www.ryanair.com/site/EN/inpage.p ... DISPATCHES

Emirates

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

airazurxtror wrote:Sebas writes :

"Ryanair is not a second class airline, it's third class. Ryanair is the European cattle airline.

I never flew with it, I will never fly with it and I advise all my friends to avoid Ryanair."

It's amazing how Ryanair can stirr up passions !
Frankly, I have flown quite a few times with Ryanair ( I have logged some 80 hours with them), and I still fail to see what is so wrong with them. Of course, keeping in mind it is an LCC...
They have opened up the skies for a lot of people who couldn't afford to fly before, and they must be thanked for it, anyway.
My sincere apologies to Emirate, whom I misquoted - it's Sebas who is the author of the above quote.

Junkers52

Post by Junkers52 »

Buzz
If Ryanair would be 'out' because of fuel prices, I'd recon they would be the ones who'll turn out the light in the industry and lock the door. There are A LOT of airlines that are less capable of dealing with even higher oil prices than FR.
Buzz you are right. I picked up on O'Leary and the $100.00 quote a few months back, fuel is now the most critical issue for this industry.

An example: United exited bankrupcy a couple of weeks back with secured loans of around $3 billion. Their plan posted back end of last year predicred a 2006 profit of $900m on an oil price average of $50.00 for 2006. Every $1.00 above this price leads to $60m less profit. If oil trades at $65.00 average for 2006 (and the cracking premium doesn't spike as after Katrina) United enters red ink again. This an airline that has slashed salaries and costs and enacted the biggest corportate default on pensions in US history.

It is symtematic of an industry that globally is on a questionable business model. In fact if you look at the US industry it is in most part only flying today because of the derivatives market and credit risk trading. Profits at Southwest are now only holding up because of extensive long term hedging. The Southwest CEO last year was quoted as saying (regading the oil price) at $50.00 no airline makes money.

Ryanair can probaly hang on longer than some in the face of rising fuel costs but where is the industry headed? Take advantage while you can, 'the times they are a changing'

Sebas

Post by Sebas »

Rayman wrote: You never flew with it, you'll never do it and you dare to give advise :?: Based on what :?: And maybe your friends also waste their time by listening to your virtual experiences.

Etc...Etc...Etc...
heh heh I knew that the Ryanair fanclub would be sensitive to the cattle picture.

Anyway, you have a point, in general, one shouldn't advise on something he has no experience on. However, when it comes to safety, there is an exception. If you refuse to use something because you know it's unsafe, you do not have to try it out in order to inform others that it is unsafe. Do I have to jump of a large mountain in order to tell others that it is unsafe? No. One should still not endanger his own life in order to protect the life of others. Therefore, I think my advise is justified.

@rares-dan: the stats that you're showing is something that I would like to offer to every airline. I'm not jealous on Ryanair, not at all, I'm angry at them because they reach those stats on a way that is unsafe and endangers the life of many people.

Now please don't reply "how you know Ryanair is unsafe", that's what this topic is about, answers to that question are in this topic and in the documentary.

It's cool that Ryanair made air transport available for a lot more people. It makes a lot of destinations within reach of many people + it's better for the environment (less people using car). However, this still doesn't justify the risking of those people lives.

Anyway, I think I made my point. Every now and then the Ryanair unsafe topic comes on this forum and everytime it ends with the O'Leary fanclub against the aviation safety guys. Where there's smoke, there's .... Eventually, we'll see who was right.

Regards,
Sebas

Eurapart

Post by Eurapart »

Anyway, I think I made my point. Every now and then the Ryanair unsafe topic comes on this forum and everytime it ends with the O'Leary fanclub against the aviation safety guys. Where there's smoke, there's .... Eventually, we'll see who was right.

Where's the CAA and the IAA in that case? They would lose all of their credibility if they don't ground an unsafe airline and it goes on to have an accident after these accusations have been made.

So far they haven't done so.

John

Junkers52

Post by Junkers52 »

Sebas
it's better for the environment (less people using car).
Before making a statement like that you need to do some research on carbon emissions. The most environmentally damaging form of transport is by aircraft. In addition to being heavily polluters they are also depositing emissions at higher more environmentally sensitive levels.

Mass aviation is approaching a watershed where its heavy pollution is converging with its excessive use of energy resources. These resources are not going to last forever. One reason for the continually rising price of oil is that not enough can now be brought to market to satisfy world demand and what is brought in many cases is unsuitable heavy sulfur oil for conversion into products like jet fuel.

This situation is not going to change. In fact all signs are that it will get a lot worse as there is now quite frankly not the 'new' reserves of oil to replace the now steady depletion in places like the North Sea, Prudhoe Bay and many other established area's.

Concerns with LCC's (and all air transport) is quickly converging with enviromental issues and questions on energy depletion. Ryanair can give away millions of seats burning copious amounts of fuel in the process but with oil the price it is, the third world is already being straved. A free flight to Italy has outbid cooking kerosene in India and home lighting in Kenya. By such standards free is no longer cheap and seems reckless in its wastefulness.

Rayman

Post by Rayman »

Sebas wrote:1) Anyway, you have a point, in general, one shouldn't advise on something he has no experience on. Good

2) However, when it comes to safety, there is an exception. If you refuse to use something because you know it's unsafe, you do not have to try it out in order to inform others that it is unsafe.
You are not informing, you are, at this stage, just spreading alligations you heard and especially like to hear.

3) Do I have to jump of a large mountain in order to tell others that it is unsafe? No. One should still not endanger his own life in order to protect the life of others.
No, you don't need to jump anything, but if you believe a simple step it's a large mountain you're not protecting anyone, on the contrary you're limiting other's opportunities.

4) Therefore, I think my advise is justified. 8O
BTW, your definition of two existing parties like “the MOL fanclub” and “the aviation safety guys” is out of place, simply for the fact everybody is for safety. It’s not a matter of being fan or not.

What did you say? Where there's smoke, there's ....
In my previous post I mentioned on purpose some recent topics (and there are many more) which you should read carefully and then think before talking with the mouth full of propaganda only.

earthman

Post by earthman »

IMNSHO the likes of Ryanair mainly serve to lower the fares of proper airlines.

Sebas

Post by Sebas »

Junkers52 wrote:Sebas

Before making a statement like that you need to do some research on carbon emissions. The most environmentally damaging form of transport is by aircraft. In addition to being heavily polluters they are also depositing emissions at higher more environmentally sensitive levels.

Mass aviation is approaching a watershed where its heavy pollution is converging with its excessive use of energy resources. These resources are not going to last forever. One reason for the continually rising price of oil is that not enough can now be brought to market to satisfy world demand and what is brought in many cases is unsuitable heavy sulfur oil for conversion into products like jet fuel.

This situation is not going to change. In fact all signs are that it will get a lot worse as there is now quite frankly not the 'new' reserves of oil to replace the now steady depletion in places like the North Sea, Prudhoe Bay and many other established area's.

Concerns with LCC's (and all air transport) is quickly converging with enviromental issues and questions on energy depletion. Ryanair can give away millions of seats burning copious amounts of fuel in the process but with oil the price it is, the third world is already being straved. A free flight to Italy has outbid cooking kerosene in India and home lighting in Kenya. By such standards free is no longer cheap and seems reckless in its wastefulness.
Hey Junkers,

You're right. Thanks for your well-made clarification on this point.

Regards,
Sebas