AY From LHR-HEL and Return

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Comet

AY From LHR-HEL and Return

Post by Comet »

These were my first (and only) flights in the MD-82 type. Flight AY832, from LHR to HEL, was operated by OH-LMZ. The take off was slightly delayed owing to the fact that we had to wait for Concorde to leave, and then there were three aircraft in the queue before us. We heard the distinctive noise and saw the white blur as Concorde was on its final take off run, it was quite something. We were in seats 11A and 11C, which had a decent amount of legroom for economy, and the view from the window was good, as the MD82 has a far back wing which doesn't obstruct the view too much. There was some turbulence, and alot of cloud, especially over the North Sea, but it began to clear by the time we were over Denmark. The service was good and the crew were pleasant. The flight lasted 2 hours and 50 minutes and it was raining when we landed in Helsinki.
The return flight, AY831, was operated by MD-82 OH-LMT. We couldn't get the seats we had been in the previous flight because Finnair hadn't decided where the Business Class curtain would be placed, so we ended up five rows further back, and those in row 11 were paying Business Class fares for what had been in economy class the week before!! The take off was slightly delayed owing to passengers being bussed to the aircraft long after the scheduled leaving time. It was an early morning flight, and those who had requested special meals were served a stew for breakfast, it makes me wish I'd had the eggs and things everyone else was having. The service was courteous, as it had been the previous week, and the flight was uneventful, but I was impressed with Finnair as an airline, as all the staff I had dealt with had been friendly and professional. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them to anyone.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

I'm surprised you flew the MD82!

AY normally flies the A32S to LHR...

Nice report.

Question: can you give a bit more details about the food please? Quantity - content - ...

Regards
Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

Comet

Post by Comet »

It is a little difficult to say too much about the food, as I left most of it, but here goes.
The stew was cooked vegetables in gravy (not really ideal on an early morning take off), but I'd already eaten a substantial breakfast beforehand so I wasn't hungry. I ate a roll of bread with some butter, and then had some orange juice and tea to drink.
There was some kind of stewed vegetables on the outward flight as well, but I didn't eat much of it as I have a food allergy and need to watch what I eat, I cannot eat anything which may contain beans, lentils etc, so sorry I cannot give a better description.
Finnair are still using the MD80 variants on their UK flights, although they are dwindling in number now, I saw one a few weeks ago in MAN.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Thanks!

MAN indeed still gets the MD82, in LHR it is extremely rare.

Regards
Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way