SNBA to MAN (& back)

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
meerkat

SNBA to MAN (& back)

Post by meerkat »

2/7/03

As a contrast to the posting earlier this week I have (again) partaken of the SNBA experience.

Arriving at BRU at 08.15 in the usual traffic chaos on the departure road I went to check-in for my 09.25 (BA4953/SN2173) flight to MAN and was directed to the hand baggage only desks as there were fairly long lines at the regular desks. Then to passport control and security to access the pier B and a bit of spotting before departure from gate B28. Hightlight was a new (recent delivery) AA 767 N346AN and on push back the AirTransat L.1011 C-GTSR.

I boarded RJ-85 OO-DJW at 09.20 and sat in 15F (next to last row) having one of the only 2 empty seats next to me! ( only 1 person in Business) We pushed at 09.36 and take off was at 09.42 after a rapid taxyto 25R and no hold, landing at MAN at 09.40, on gate at 09.44 1 minute ahead of schedule. The flight was mostly above cloud and fairly bumpy on approach to MAN. I do like the new service level of a drink of either Orange or water immediately airborne (along with a face-wipe) then the meal service of Gouda cheese roll and a warm croissant with choice of beverage. On a short 1 hour flight with a full load the cabin sataff are quite pushed to get through all this. I do find that PA announcements (flight and cabin crew) are often difficult to understand, particularly as the announcements are given at great speed and become garbled, the result of which was that I was unable to catch the names of any of the crew!!!

Before leaving the airport at MAN I made a quick visit to the carpark roof spectators area ( BIAC take note - car free area with snack bar and aviation shop)) where good views of terminal 1 and 2 ramps can be had. Highlights for me were 2 Virgin Atlantic 747's, a Qatar A300 and a Singapore 777. On return 2 Excel 737-8's and an Air Jamaica A340 were nice to see.

The return flight was at 15.55 (BA4956/SN2178) again SNBA operated, this time by BAe 146-200 OO-DJE (oldest in the fleet?). I was accompanying my mother on this flight and she uses a wheelcahir for much of the time so requires assistance for stairs etc. We were assured that the flight would depart from an airbridge gate (55)- true - but the airbridge was inoperable so we had to board via the stairs. Great excitement as there was some difficulty finding the right personnel and equipment but ok eventually. 6 pax in Business and a fairly full economy cabin, but most of "E" seats empty

Again flight almost departed on time with push at 15.59 and take off from 24L at 16.10 after a short hold for 2 other departures. Aghain a mostly smooth flight but this time with some views of the ground through broken cloud, although the view from row 7 is restricted by an engine. Birmingham Airport and parts of central London (Dome) easily identified. Landing at BRU on 25L at 18.12 and on gate at 18.18 (just 3 minutes of published arrival of 18.15.

Again I have no idea of crew names - sorry, even worse PA on this aircraft! Cabin service was similar with substitution of ham for cheese in the roll and no croissant but an acceptable mini bottle of red wine with my butty.

All in all a good day out - well done SNBA!

Meerkat