LX782 ZRH-BRU (operated by Helvetic Airways Embraer190)

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Inquirer

LX782 ZRH-BRU (operated by Helvetic Airways Embraer190)

Post by Inquirer »

Well here it is, my first trip report ever, so be kind on me please! :D

Date: 05/03/2015
Aircraft: Embraer 190
From - To: ZRH - BRU
Seat: 16D
Departure: 17h00
Arrival: 18h15

Being already checked in online, I left the office about 1 hour before boarding time which was at 16h35.
Had received my boarding pass automatically the evening before at 21PM already and was given seat 16D.
Since it's my first time on the Helvetic Embraer, I had no idea if this was a good seat or not, but it matched my M&M preference for aile seating, so I just kept it as I supposed they're all the same, which I can confirm.

After a short train ride (quite expensive, as everything in Switzerland; luckily it all goes on expense note), I arrived at the airport. With still some time to spare, I could have gone to one of SWISS' many different lounges at ZRH (anybody an idea how many they actually run there???), but I decided to try doing something else for once since I promissed to write a report about this trip: there's actually a public observation deck at ZRH from where you can oversee the planes parked! Maybe an idea for BRU too?
Of course, you need to be security screened first and -again no surprise for Switzerland- you need to pay (5CHF), but okay, that's yet another reason for BRU to do it then, maybe.
Anyway, by the time I made it there, it started raining and I noticed my hand luggage would have to go in lockers as it was too big to be allowed out on the observation deck, so last minute abortion of the plan.

That means I went straight to the gate, but first of course I needed to make my way through security (happened swiftly, no advantage to the priority lanes this time) and then through all the shops (very annoying!). Still wondering who's buying all those huge Toblerone chocolate bars, in fact!
Let's be a little chauvinistic for once: Swiss chocolate is second to Belgian one! ;)

Anyway, I arrived at the gate and very soon after the automatic boarding process started.
First bizclass and status passengers could board and then soon after the electronic gate opened and the rest of the passengers were able to scan their code as well: off to the Embraer then, which I know from "Luftie", of course. Wonder if this one will feel truely SWISS and how much of a Helvetic look it will have? Load was about 2/3rd if I counted well, but despite the relatively small size of the plane, no handluggage had to be taken off as far as I say, which is good of couse, even though at SWISS they give it back to you right upon arrival at the exit door of the plane. Always a good idea, because if you travel with handluggage only (often more vulnerable than a hardcase suitcase) you do not want to pick you your trolley at the belt, no way!

Welcomed onboard by a nice stewardess (they are 3 cabin crew on this jet) and took my seat swiftly.
A welcome speech in German and English, a safety demo and a round of newspapers later,and off we went.
While climbing out, I went briefly through the SWISS inflight magazine of this month and saw they page about Helvetic's Embraer which operates on behalf of them. It seems 4 will be used in total (on top of 4 Fokkers)! Are they in need of so much extra capacity at SWISS?
IM01.JPG
After a turbulent first 15 minutes, the seat belt signs went off and so it was time for the cabin crew to start their job and for me to recline my seat halfway back so I could get the laptop out and work a bit.
Pitch seems to be identical as on SWISS Airbus fleet and the seat next to me was keft empty, so that's good.

The rest if the flight went by very fast and uneventful as it is called and I didn't take the snack which was offered to me, so no comment on that; just a cup of tea and a few SWISS branded chocolates on top, thank you very much.

Shortly before landing, crew went through the cabin with a round of chocolates for everybody once more, as if I hadn't seen enough of them yet, but okay, it's Switzerland's signature product almost, so I understand. And a nice gesture too, of course. It's actually a fairly large chocolate bar they give you, not just the small Neuheus chocolates as we all know them from Brussels airlines, but the latter are still way better, of course. ;)
IM02.JPG
Meanwhile, the captain came on the microphone to tell us the weather in both English and the totally incomprehensible Swiss-German (imagine Belgian airlines allowing their crews to speak Antwerps, Liégeois or West-Vlaams!), but it's something widely accepted in Switzerland sadly, as it forces me to always speak English, even though I speak "real" German. :(

Landed in BRU on time, and parked at the A terminal.
Another SWISS (well, Helvetic actually) flight completed; always good for the status miles of course, not so good for the expense note for my company (780 euro return fare).
Next week back to ZRH, but then on the very familiar Airbus once more, so no trip report as it takes much more time than I'd have guessed when I read those reports from others!!!
My respect to all those who write them has just grown, believe me!
Last edited by Inquirer on 06 Mar 2015, 15:53, edited 3 times in total.

Comet

Re: LX782 ZRH-BRU (operated by Helvetic Airways Embraer190)

Post by Comet »

Nice report but I can't see your photos :cry: (And I agree with your comment about Swiss chocolate :mrgreen: ).
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

I know,
I tried to correct it to get the pictures up, but it doesn't seem to work entirely as it should.
Anybody who can explain me in simple words how to include pictures in the text, rather than at the end?
As said: my first trip report ever, so please be patient!

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Nice report! Keep them coming!

Was it a Helvetic cabin crew or a Swiss one? I know, it shouldn't make a big difference...
Inquirer wrote:Anybody who can explain me in simple words how to include pictures in the text, rather than at the end?
I did it for you. But you managed to upload your pictures, good point! After that, put the arrow at the place where you want your picture to be, and click on "place in line".
André
ex Sabena #26567

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

normally Helvetic flights are operated by Helvetic crew but service on board is fully Swiss like Brussels airlines flights operated by Tyrolean
Citybird
The flying dream

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

sn26567 wrote:Nice report! Keep them coming!
I'll do a report whenever I fly something 'special', so not the usual Lufthansa, SWISS or Brussels Airbus.
Thanks for your help with the pictures, btw.
sn26567 wrote:Was it a Helvetic cabin crew or a Swiss one?
Cabin crew was definitely not SWISS, but Helvetic; no idea about the pilots.
They were Swiss, but whether they were SWISS, I don' know. :)

For the rest evrything onboard is indeed entirely SWISS too, including all items used for it: as you see even the inflight magazine and other stuff is in place, so I suppose this particular plane only flies for them, day in day out.

The sandwich offered was the usual crusty SWISS one, with cheese and a spicy spread on it: strange combination, but not bad at all! But as said, I didn't take it as I had already had lunch at work before setting out for the airport.

airtrainer

Post by airtrainer »

Let's be a little chauvinistic as always: Swiss chocolate is second to Belgian one!

FTFY :mrgreen:

Anyway, nice report ! The visitor terrace is worth a visit indeed, with more time it's also possible to take a public tour by bus, with a stop at the famous runway cross.

fcw

Post by fcw »

780€ return, am I the only one who is shocked by this price?
And for this price you can't even check in when you book, a facility most LCCs offer for FREE these days if you book within 30 days of travel.

CTBke

Post by CTBke »

Zurich is mainly used for connecting flights LH but on the other hand BRU-FRA-BRU isn't that expensive neither is BRU-AMS-BRU
Citybird
The flying dream

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

fcw wrote:780€ return, am I the only one who is shocked by this price?
It's the going rate for a fully flexible ticket on ZRH, booked just a few days before departure.
If you want something cheap, better don't go to ZRH at all: everything in the area is very expensive, not just the flights! You should see my expense notes after a business trip: 600CHF for a 2 night stay (hotel +'breakfast), 80CHF for a normal hotel diner, etc.
Oh, you get used to it, almost. :(
fcw wrote:And for this price you can't even check in when you book, a facility most LCCs offer for FREE these days if you book within 30 days of travel.
Why would I check in at booking, when I don't know for sure what flight I am going to take?
Besides, at SWISS I don't need to do anything at all to check in: I am being sent a boarding pass automatically for whatever flight I am (re)booked on, a few hours before its departure.

Indeed CTBke, most people are connecting on this route, or clearly working for a company located in the area; this is not a leisure route, for obvious reasons.

Flanker2

Post by Flanker2 »

780€ return, am I the only one who is shocked by this price?
Then corporations and their shareholders wonder why their margins are so low... it's all wasted by managers travelling around in overpriced tickets.

If Inquirer is flying around selling 50 million dollar jets, then it's small change.
If he's flying around selling FCL loads of potatoes, then they're idiots.
If he's flying around just to meet people and do intra-corporate things that could be done over the phone, then him and his corporate friends are monkeys.

It all comes down to whether that higher price is worth the productivity achieved versus the productivity that could be achieved by alternative (local) means, I guess.

But why should Inquirer bother to drive there as I would, if the savings would only benefit the shareholders? At the end of the day in corporate capitalism, it's every man for himself.
If I'm just a corporate "puppet" and 600 Euro higher expenses than travelling by car would save me 3 or 4 hours to enjoy the city or watch TV in my hotel room, I would take it.

Stij

Post by Stij »

Flanker2,

As you wrote: it all depends how money was made... or saved... from this trip.

For the Zürich area I personally flew / would fly U2 to BSL and continue by rental car (which I would need in ZRH anyway...)

Fly in the evening before, spend a night in an hotel, do 5 hours of meetings / visits, fly home...

Driving I only would do when heavy sampling is involved as the 8 hour drive is just a bit to long and I can't work while I drive.

Cheers,

Stij

P.S. I mostly try to fly in the evenings and spend the night locally: in case of delays my schedule isn't ruined and I feel more refreshed compared to getting up at 4:15 for a 6:30 flight... to negotiate a whole day in a foreign language...

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Some here find incredible - or anyway ridiculous - to fly on Ryanair.
Of course, it's easy to fly Swiss or Brussels Airlines when others pay !
Many of those who fly Ryanair pay for their tickets (and expenses) out of their own pocket.
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.

Stij

Post by Stij »

Airazurxtror,

It all depends... as an independent I pay my own tickets but when things are urgent and important, 780€ isn't a lot... When things are less important, wait for the cheap flight to come by or make a detour...

It's not black and white...

Cheers,

Stij

Inquirer

Post by Inquirer »

Indeed Stij,
The alternative to ZRH is indeed a flight to BSL on either Brussels or Easyjet, but it involves either a rental car and a relatively long drive (possibly also a vignet in case you rent your car on the French side, which is generally cheaper) plus a big parking problem in ZRH as or HQ is adjacent to the railway station, or alternatively -my personal preference in that case- a taxi transfer to the railway station in BSL and a train ride to ZRH from there.
In either case, it means a lot of extra travel time (and also not insignificant extra costs) and it makes it impossible to be in ZRH before 10 AM; no big deal if I go alone, but if I am not the only one expected for the meeting, it's a no go as I can't ask from customers/colleagues to start work only at noon, can I?
if I opt for Easyjet for the Basel flight, I even need to go the evening before, so that's another night in the hotel then, something which doesn't come cheaply either in ZRH (unless you first stay in a motel on the French side near BSL) and in any case it means another night away from my family then.
I know, if you are occasionally traveling for pleasure, you don't mind being on the road half a day extra if you can save a few euro, but when you travel for business, it's about convenience in the first place. The aim is not to waste half a working week planning on the cheapest possible solution or to have 15 people wait for your arrival for half a day, just to save say 200 euro if you add all the extra costs the alternatives bring with them to it.
I occasionally go via BSL too, so I can compare the 2 options fairly well and for me BSL only makes sense if I needn't be in ZRH before noon and it involves no meeting with other traveling colleagues on the first day; otherwise whatever I may save on a cheaper ticket through BSL, I (and they) lose on all other expenses.
The aim is to work as efficiently as possible, not to write a personal Lonely Planet edition of course.

thalenoi

Post by thalenoi »

Funny report, thank you!
I think I flew that Embraer 190 last September on my BRU-ZRH-YUL trip, but I "Only" paid 550 euro return for the whole trip. I didn't like the experience too much though at ZRH, having to take that train to the other terminal and passport control before the train, I found the whole experience rather "cold" is that a Swiss Adjective? Did not like flying towards the Atlantic ocean near Paris 3 hours after leaving BRU neither.

I remember the Air France rate to be 5 euro cheaper, but hassling to Brussels Midi to take a TGV (if they are not on strike) I only need max 30 minutes to BRU.
For this September I found a Tango rate at 450 euro BRU-YUL direct with AC, no more ZRH for me....

Yes the Swiss chocolate was nice, but I will get some Neuhaus landing BRU 24th March...
Flying Qatar A388 to Doha and B788 to BRU both in J, not sure I am qualified to make a trip report though?

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

airazurxtror wrote:Some here find incredible - or anyway ridiculous - to fly on Ryanair.
Of course, it's easy to fly Swiss or Brussels Airlines when others pay !
Many of those who fly Ryanair pay for their tickets (and expenses) out of their own pocket.
Why doesn't Ryanair fly to ZRH? Or easyJet for that matter?
André
ex Sabena #26567

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Zurich airport has set its taxes at a level such as discouraging the LCC from coming.
Nevertheless, easyJet fly to Zurich from London (Luton and Gatwick).
IF IT AIN'T BOEING, I'M NOT GOING.