How to find upgradable tickets to US?

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
Maho Bay

How to find upgradable tickets to US?

Post by Maho Bay »

Dear all,

My father in law made many intercontinental trips lately and wants to surprise his wife with flight tickets in business class to the US.

Therefore he asked me to help him find "tickets in economy class that allow them to upgrade to business based on the miles he has saved so far".

How can I find these kind of tickets? Typically only the low fare- non upgradable-tickets are shown.

And how does it work? Can they easily upgrade from the moment they have found the tckets? Or are there restrictions?

Looking for * Alliance airlines only btw.

Many thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Maho Bay
Last edited by Maho Bay on 07 Jan 2014, 13:05, edited 1 time in total.

KriVa

Re: How to find upgradable tickets to US?

Post by KriVa »

Aren't "upgradeable" tickets usually full fare Y-tickets? In which case, it will often be cheaper to look for a discounted C-class flight. Especially if you're rather open about destinations/airlines.
Thomas

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

If you are flying Brussels Airlines to the US booking classes K , L , E , T & S are not upgradable to C class.
You can also do a last minute upgrade at the airport to C against payment and that's 500 € if you have an Brussels Airlines ticket.

Best regards,

Airbuske

b720

Post by b720 »

if you're flying SN you'll need to book the ticket over the phone, as the different fares are not visible online.
another option is to book on the lufthansa website, if your journey starts at BRU the SN flights are included along with lufthansa flights with all fares and you can see which one is upgradable or not.
Swiss's website also shows different fares and options online. I booked a flight to the US last year on lufthansa.com and upgraded with my miles. you can even upgrade online.

Pleasonton

Post by Pleasonton »

You do have to be careful - last year a booked an upgradable ticket for a flight to IAD operated by SN with a UA flight number and they did not allow for an upgrade as "you have to have a ticket of the airline operating the flight to be able to upgrade." or so I was told. Meaning you need an SN ticket to upgrade a flight operated by SN.

Maho Bay

Post by Maho Bay »

Thanks for the advise so far!

They want to fly to LAX/SFO. SN might be an option, with a short stop in the Big Apple, but I assume LH/LX will be more logical options.

I guess a phone call might be the best thing I can do :)

In case we have found the correct booking classes and seats are available in C class, can they immediately guarantee seats? Or is will they go on a list and only get their upgrade in case seats remain unsold in C?

Zorba

Post by Zorba »

The Lufthansa site is the best way to book your ticket, like b720 said. You have a clear overview of which fares are upgradable. Then you can do the upgrade yourself online and of course the moment you've done this, you have guaranteed seats in C.

Nice present btw :)
Tot hier en verder