AvGeek trip to Lyon - Why not with HOP! ?

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
sn26567

AvGeek trip to Lyon - Why not with HOP! ?

Post by sn26567 »

Belgian AvGeeks were to meet in Lyon between 18 and 20 October 2013. Selection of airlines was free, as were the dates of departure and return.

I selected the HOP! for Air France flight departing around noon on 18 October. The main reason was cost: barely 84 euros return through http://www.tripsta.fr. Two other AvGeeks were on the same flight.

I arrived at the airport 1 hr 30 min before the flight.
A5/AF flight to Lyon announced in the departure hall
A5/AF flight to Lyon announced in the departure hall
Flight: HOP! A5 4313 from Brussels to Lyon Satolas BRU-LYS (codeshared with Air France AF 5356, of course)
Date: Friday, 18 October 2013
Aircraft: Embraer Regional Jet ERJ145 reg. F-GRGK
STD 13:20, actual 13:20 from gate A53 (GMT+2)
STA 14:35, actual 14:35 at gate 23D (GMT+2).
Total time: scheduled 1 hr 15 minutes, actual 1 hrs 15 min.
Seat 19A (window and aisle at the same time)

I had registered by internet the previous day, 26 hours in advance, after receiving an e-mail from HOP! They offered the possibility to change seats, but there was only one other seat available. I thus kept 19A in the very last row. The seat layout in the ERJ145 is 1-2, and there are 15 rows of three seats, thus 45 seats (I wonder how they have been numbering the seats to arrive at row 19!). Having only hand-baggage, I could proceed immediately to Terminal A, not without stopping at Exki to buy a sandwich (it was lunch time, and I did not expect any meal on board).
Lunch from Exki
Lunch from Exki
When I got at gate A53, the plane was already waiting.
The HOP! Embraer 145 reg. F-GRGK was waiting at gate A53
The HOP! Embraer 145 reg. F-GRGK was waiting at gate A53
A lady regularly passed among the passengers waiting at the gate to give hand-baggage labels for them to be put in the hold, as the overhead bins are very small and only on one side in the ERJ145.
"Hand" baggage labelled for the hold
"Hand" baggage labelled for the hold
Boarding, friendly greeting by a single steward and on-time departure. The load factor was, as expected, 100%.Take-off from the usual 25R.
Boarding...
Boarding...
Boarding...
Boarding...
Boarding...
Boarding...
"Hand" baggage is loaded into the hold
"Hand" baggage is loaded into the hold
Load factor 100% (45 seats)
Load factor 100% (45 seats)
Despite the low price, there was a free snack and drink.
Snack: salty and/or sweet, with a drink (here: apple juice)
Snack: salty and/or sweet, with a drink (here: apple juice)
During the flight we had a nice view on the Mont Blanc and on Geneva.
The Mont-Blanc, Geneva and its Lake Leman
The Mont-Blanc, Geneva and its Lake Leman
Landing on 18R and on-time arrival at the gate. Everything went smoothly for a perfect flight.
At gate in Lyon
At gate in Lyon
Cockpit view of the ERJ145
Cockpit view of the ERJ145
André
ex Sabena #26567

cathay belgium

Re: AvGeek trip to Lyon - Why not with HOP! ?

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,
Nice report.. Same hop flight a day after, f-gufd , morningflight.. Coffee and chocolat croissant, and a drop of candy by landing, nice plane , nice flight, nice fare.. Would choose it again I guess... Lyon also a nice city!
Tomorrow afternoon flight equipment change to crj100! Evening flight still a e145..
Avgeek greetz from LYS!
CXB
New types flown 2022.. A339

quixoticguide

Post by quixoticguide »

Nice report. I certainly do this ever.
Flew last week with Fokker 100 from Helvetic to LYS and it was also a smooth flight.

greetz from DXB!
Visit my flights on: http://www.quixoticguide.com

azingrew

Post by azingrew »

(I wonder how they have been numbering the seats to arrive at row 19!)
On some airlines, there are no row 13 and no 17 for superstition reasons: "13" for most of Europe, "17 " for Italy .
Ok that makes 17, still 2 rows too many !

airtrainer

Post by airtrainer »

According to this, rows are not missing :?
http://www.seatplans.com/airlines/Hop/s ... rt-haul)-6

Comet

Post by Comet »

The seating configuration of the Embraer is nicer than the LH Airbuses I went on this year. I don't like the 3-3 seating. The Embraer is a great aircraft to fly in.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Comet wrote:The Embraer is a great aircraft to fly in.
In the ERJ145, assuming you are not taller than 1.78m, otherwise your head hits the ceiling! :?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote:
Comet wrote:The Embraer is a great aircraft to fly in.
In the ERJ145, assuming you are not taller than 1.78m, otherwise your head hits the ceiling! :?
Height isn't a big problem for me, but I've never noticed anyone's head hitting the ceiling on the ERJ. I like them because if you are travelling alone, there is the single seat, and when there are just two of you there are the two seats together. I don't like the 3-3 configuration so much because you never know what kind of people you might end up sitting next to. I remember a few years ago on a long haul flight ending up sitting near someone with a kid, and they let their kid crawl all over other passengers, this went on for about 10 hours.

I also liked the 2-3 configuration on Sabena's and SNBA's ARJs and 146s.
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

And now a report about the return flight.

Again, 26 hours before departure, I had been advised by an e-mail of HOP! to check-in by Internet. I did, and I was very lucky to be able to book a window seat at the emergency exit (12F). But before doing so I was asked (in French) whether I would be able to understand instructions in English and ...in Dutch! When looking at the URL I saw that it was a KLM website! I answered yes, of course, and I was granted that seat. Since I didn't have a printer with me (a little cumbersome when you travel) I uploaded the boarding pass on my smartphone.

Back to the Saint-Exupéry airport by the very convenient (but rather expensive) Rhônexpress tram.
Arrival of the  Rhônexpress at the airport station
Arrival of the Rhônexpress at the airport station
The baggage and body search was very strict: I had to remove belt and shoes, put my computer and my smartphone in separate boxes, etc. Never seen such harassment before...

Flight: HOP! A5 4318 from Lyon Satolas LYS to Brussels BRU (no mention of a codeshare with AF!)
Date: Sunday, 20 October 2013
Aircraft: Embraer Regional Jet ERJ145 reg. F-GUFD, still in Air France Régional colours
STD 19:50, actual 20:13 from gate 21M (GMT+2)
STA 21:10, actual 21:35 at gate A58 (GMT+2).
Total time: scheduled 1 hr 20 minutes, actual 1 hrs 22 min.
Seat 12F (window at emergency exit)

Initially the flight was announced on-time.
Ready for departure
Ready for departure
But some small trouble was looming. Boarding started a little bit late, at 19:50. When it was my turn to show my boarding pass, the battery of my smartphone went dead. "No problem", said the lady with a smile, "what's your name?". I answered and she said "seat 12F?". I said "indeed" and she let me through without a boarding pass, but with a label for my trolley to be put in the hold.

Just behind me wee two other members of our group, who had booked the previous flight (A5 4316, dep. 15:35). This flight was cancelled. I'm not sure whether they asked for a compensation or a rebooking on the earliest flight (an SN flight at 18:30), anyway they were rebooked on our flight. The smiling lady didn't find their booking, and some words were exchanged in a not so smiling way. The queue was stopped, and boarding was delayed. Our two colleagues eventually were accepted on board as the two last passengers.

In addition, the captain explained that the aircraft had to be changed just before boarding, leading to a delay anyway. Eventually we departed 23 minutes late from runway 36R, after the stewardess handed me a sheet with special instructions asked me if I would be able to open the emergency door.

A free snack was served: sweet of salty, with a drink. I selected a tomato juice which came with salt and celery.

The whole trip was very rough, with many severe turbulences, even during landing on 25L. Arrival 25 minutes at Gate A58.
At gate A58 at Brussels Airport
At gate A58 at Brussels Airport
I had a nice trip. Not sure about the two delayed colleagues though....
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

Hand baggage going into the hold is quite common on the ERJ. I have seen it a few times on BMI. At least you know your luggage has gone into the hold. When we flew with LH from MAN we knew our luggage had been loaded OK because all the luggage was loaded after the passengers! Our flight was held up because they had not got the damned luggage on board long after all the passengers were seated.
Louise

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

nice trip report! I really don't like the 145 though ... flew on it once to OPO from BRU and it feels flimsy to me ... and if you need to use the bathroom you need to have the ability to make yourself REALLY small :)

Comet

Post by Comet »

sean1982 wrote:and if you need to use the bathroom
Never seen a BATHroom on a plane - didn't know planes had baths on them. Do you mean the TOILET?
Louise

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

There is no emergency exit in the back: the place is taken by the toilet!
André
ex Sabena #26567

galaxy

Post by galaxy »

Comet wrote:
Never seen a BATHroom on a plane
BATHroom on a A380 :

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Comet wrote:
sean1982 wrote:and if you need to use the bathroom
Never seen a BATHroom on a plane - didn't know planes had baths on them. Do you mean the TOILET?
Seriously? I mean ... Really??

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Sean, Louise and others, you know the difference between American and English, don't you?
André
ex Sabena #26567

Comet

Post by Comet »

sn26567 wrote:Sean, Louise and others, you know the difference between American and English, don't you?
Well I certainly do Andre. The true English definition of a "bathroom" is a "room containing a bath". Therefore, if a room does not contain a bath it is not a "bathroom". I refuse to use American terms. A room with just a toilet in is a toilet, not a "bathroom". You do not get "bathrooms" on the ERJ - where would the bath go? Likewise, I have never seen a "bathroom" in a restaurant.
Louise

SpottairBRU

Post by SpottairBRU »

Comet wrote: Well I certainly do Andre. The true English definition of a "bathroom" is a "room containing a bath". Therefore, if a room does not contain a bath it is not a "bathroom". I refuse to use American terms. A room with just a toilet in is a toilet, not a "bathroom". You do not get "bathrooms" on the ERJ - where would the bath go? Likewise, I have never seen a "bathroom" in a restaurant.
Sorry, I guess you forgot a word and meant: The true British English definition. I know, I am pedantic ;) Languages are in constant evolution, and I don't know any "true" language, even if the British English definition looks like as being more logical from an ethymologic point of view :)

Back to topic: nice trip report, André, a pity I couldn't join this time! Seems everybody had fun/experience to share!

For the 50 seats: Seatguru and Air France's website confirmed my memories: Rows 1 & 2 have only 1 seat, and there is no row 13 in their ERJ 145. Thus: 16 rows*3 + 2 rows*1 = 50 people. Maybe you miscounted the number of rows?
Fabien
Flown: AA5 / A300-310-318-319-320-321-330-340-380 / ATR42 / B717-737-747-757-777 / Bae146 / C130H / CRJ700-900 / Dash8-Q400 / E145-195 / Fokker 50 / HS748 / MD81 / RJ85-100 / Robin DR400

sean1982

Post by sean1982 »

Comet wrote:
sn26567 wrote:Sean, Louise and others, you know the difference between American and English, don't you?
Well I certainly do Andre. The true English definition of a "bathroom" is a "room containing a bath". Therefore, if a room does not contain a bath it is not a "bathroom". I refuse to use American terms. A room with just a toilet in is a toilet, not a "bathroom". You do not get "bathrooms" on the ERJ - where would the bath go? Likewise, I have never seen a "bathroom" in a restaurant.
And because you refuse to use american english, you need to behave like a child?
Is there any rule that american english cannot be used on the forum? Grow up please