Aviation trips for people like us !

Share your experiences about your latest flights: details and pictures are highly appreciated by our community. How do you rate airlines, in-flight meals, frequent flyer programs, etc... join this forum now!
cathay belgium

Aviation trips for people like us !

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi :P ,

One week ago I tried to organise a roundflight with the Korongo Bae146.
As all of you could read the great reports of the participants which joined.
That day, before we split up and went home, some said that the day was so much fun that it was a
pity it isn't organised more, or there were way to less days that people could meet eachother which
speak the aviation passionate language..

So I tought last week why not try to organise such event each year one or two times.
Such event involves for me : a return flight to somewhere, from BRU, were we can see/visit something special
amongst other aviationenthousiasts and do some things togheter (events/spotting/aviationmusea )..or
go together to an event to fly some special bird ..
Since I definately underestimate the work which is necessary to get it organised I will try to start
earlier with getting things started..

So hereby I have a few questions for all the luchtzakkers..
Please answer in reply or PM so I have more input to organising such things..

1. Do you like this idea and would you join such days if you could..?
2. What is the max. price you would pay for such a day ( incl.flight) ?
3. Do you have yourself destinations-events in mind you would like to be organised ? ( please share )
4. Which is the best month for such event for you ?
5. For the second part of this year I had some ideas, please comment them positive or negative..
* Flying a weekend (1night) to Toulouse with SN and visit the A380 assembly hall, after this a visit to the A330 assembly hall/ spotting Toulouse / visit Toulouse City with night in a 'cheap airport hotel/ETAP/IBIS..
* Go one day toghether to a Dutch Dakota Sunday and fly the DC3 of DDA..
* Fly on a weekday to Geneva with SN and visit CERN ( not directly aviation related but something special, the large hadron collidor (tunnels NOT visitable because it's working nowadays ) or spotting GVA for those which prefer..

These were the things I had in mind which could be fun, think the prices could be fine in group and it's easier
and more fun to do such things amongst other aviationgeeks I guess..

Let me all know your opinions, if you think NO WAY,ridiclous ideas please share as with the Korongo flight there were only 14pax but this was organised late-minute, not everybody had the time to join maybe,but
I like to know if there's interest in such things if the date is plannable in your agendas.

Please share ALL your ideas !

Hoping on much reactions, good or bad !

CX-B :ugeek: ;)
New types flown 2022.. A339

HighInTheSky

Re: Aviation trips for people like us !

Post by HighInTheSky »

Not my cup of tea since I fly those birds every day, but still a very good initiative!

Another option might be Manchester Airport with a visit to the Concorde and Avro RJX ?

Good luck!

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

Sorry, not my cup of tea generally. Certainly I do not like the idea of sitting in the back of a plane, as I said before I love to fly but I do not like to be flown... And while I do like visiting museums and fly-ins, and frequently do (2011 summer planning is a hot subject around here) I prefer to do so individually, in my own time and at my own speed.

Still one should never say never: one trip I'd love to join but can't get myself to organise is to the Kaunas Aviation museum at the old Darius & Girenas airfield - should be easy and inexpensive but it is an alien world to me.

Also, it would be nice to have a sign of recognition for those events every aviation lover has to visit anyway, such as the yearly mid-August fly-in at Schaffen EBDT, for instance a Luchtzak-hat or (better, for me, I hate hats) tee-shirt.

On a final note: do not be discouraged by these comments! Even if I would not often join such a party, that does not mean I am against the initiative. Go ahead, there will always be some followers. I do hope there will be enough to make your efforts worth their while.

galaxy

Post by galaxy »

Very good idea and fantastic initiative. Personally ,I like most the weekend to Toulouse . 70 Euro must be the maximum price for the flight.The less,the better .Other costs must be discussed. I don't have a preference for a month,but winter time seems to be less attractive.
I have friends who are not realy aviation enthousiast,but are probably interested in a visit to Toulouse.They are potential fillers of the plane.
Good luck ! ! ! :thumbup:

airazurxtror

Post by airazurxtror »

Organising such trips for aviation enthusiasts is a very good idea.
As far as I know, no such trips are organized in Belgium. Tthe "Delta Fan Club" used to do it some 30 years ago in chartered DAT planes, but since then, not much in that line !
I have sent you a PM with a few suggestions.
Hoping for the best !

KriVa

Post by KriVa »

I too would be very interested in this initiative. 70 Euros for a roundtrip sounds like a fair price to me, costs outside of the flights depend on the duration of stay etc.
Thomas

Novastar

Post by Novastar »

I would be interested as well in such a trip. I don't have that much experience nor knowledge about aviation (business) but it does very much passionate me. For instance I do like to take pics of aircraft but I don't care about the regs. And ofcourse I like to be flown :-)

70 to 100 euro seems reasonable for a roundtrip.

btw maybe you should talk to JAF also for your next trip... maybe they can offer you a sweet deal as well

(*cough* new B738 with Sky Interioir *cough*

cheers
Flown: A319 / 320 / 321 / 350 - B737 / 757 / 767 / 777 / 787 - MD11 - Fokker 50 - Fairchild SA-227

andorra-airport

Post by andorra-airport »

If BeOnTop Airlines becomes a reality, it would be a good laugh to have a flight with them, with many Luchtzak members! (especially with all those people who reacted on the, now very famous, topic "BeOnTop Airlines - Liège Airport" viewtopic.php?t=43258&f=7)
:D

(Oh and sorry, I guess we depart from Liège, not Brussels ;) )

Comet

Post by Comet »

How about a trip here http://www.technik-museum.de/ - that could be popular as there are very few aviation museums which feature civilian aircraft, usually all you get is military types to the exclusion of everything else.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

SpottairBRU

Post by SpottairBRU »

Comet wrote:How about a trip here http://www.technik-museum.de/ - that could be popular as there are very few aviation museums which feature civilian aircraft, usually all you get is military types to the exclusion of everything else.
Oh yes, excellent idea! I always wanted to go there! Is somebody taking note of all the propositions? ;)
Fabien
Flown: AA5 / A300-310-318-319-320-321-330-340-380 / ATR42 / B717-737-747-757-777 / Bae146 / C130H / CRJ700-900 / Dash8-Q400 / E145-195 / Fokker 50 / HS748 / MD81 / RJ85-100 / Robin DR400

jan_olieslagers

There are quite a lot of civil planes in German museums - I have fond memories of the VC10 at Hermeskeil, to name just one - still the Technikmuseum in Speyer is on my wishlist too. With any luck I can fly there this summer!

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Jan,

Do you have backseats on your bird ? ;)
( flying from ANR ? )

CX-B

jan_olieslagers

Negative: ultralight is legally limited to two seats - and is disallowed in controlled airspace, which includes EBAW

Comet

Post by Comet »

jan_olieslagers wrote:There are quite a lot of civil planes in German museums - I have fond memories of the VC10 at Hermeskeil, to name just one - still the Technikmuseum in Speyer is on my wishlist too. With any luck I can fly there this summer!
In British ones the militaries rule the roost. Not that I don't like militaries, I do, but I would like to see some historic arliners too. Alot of preservation enthusiasts in the UK cannot stand airliners, which is a shame because they are as much a part of aviation history as the militaries, and people can relate to them better too.
Sabena and Sobelair - gone but never forgotten.
Louise

jan_olieslagers

Louise,

In matters of aviation the Brits are really on a planet of their own. I have been surprised, and sometimes almost shocked, over the last few months as I took part in some discussions on a British pilot's forum. More than once, differences were smaller between some continental countries and the USA than with the UK.
Actually, I had long dreamed of flying my ULM (that is termed a microlight in Britain...) across the English channel, after all I have fond memories of England, especially of its CAMRA ales and its folk music and morris dancers, but learning about UK private pilots and some of their habits made me push that ambition to the Greek calendar!

OTOH: my limited experience of aviation museums on the European continent is that most have mostly civil aircraft, though not excluding military planes. The very extensive collection in Brussels "Cinquantenaire" museum is just one illustration, actually this is an army museum so its military proportion is even above average.

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

The results of the aviation enthousiasts jury :

Next trips will be organised * if possible *, and will be publiced on this and other fora when in a final
stage :

1. Daytrip with SN A320 / B737 to AGP for spotting,tapas,cava,fun,AGP-small flight museum ( oa dc3 ).
( Sunday 16 oct 2011 )
2. early / March 2012 : weekend Toulouse with Airbusfactory ( a380 assembly hall + spotting Airbus Beluga?)
3. end 2012 daytrip/returnflight goodbye Berlin Tegel flight / Welcome Berlin Brandenburg / Willy Brandt BER
Everything from BRU with SN .

Hope these are interesting enough to find enough pax ( 15/20 pax ).
Nr. 1 is already UNDER CONSTRUCTION !

Thx for the replies, other ideas will be kept in mind if these will be a success and could be realised.

Greetings,

CX-B
( in co-operation with some other members ! )

cathay belgium

Post by cathay belgium »

Hi,

If people are already interested in the flight to Malaga-AGP, they can send their details to me,
so they will be contacted personally when more info will become available or a similar project will
be proposed.
The idea is : SUNDAY 16 OCTOBER
SN 3735 BRU-AGP 09h45-12h40 A320
SN 3742 AGP-BRU 20h30-23h25 B733
Offcourse all the info will be available at the time on our beloved site and belgiums sistersite ;)
CX-B

airtrainer

Post by airtrainer »

Hi !

I'm new to this forum but I like the idea(s) very much. Visiting the Airbus facility in TLS could be very exciting, please add me as a "maybe" ;)
Another idea could be the visit of the Airbus facility in Finkenwerder...

Regards.