3 Sept. Sikorsky S-38 Flying Yacht "Osa's Ark' @ EBBR

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips from the Belgian airports

Moderator: Plane spotting team

Propwash

Post by Propwash »

If everything goes well, a replica (N28V) will visit EBBR ;)

More H E R E

SpottairBRU

Sikorksy S-38 replica in Brussels on 03/09/2010

Post by SpottairBRU »

Dear all,

According to some article in several French-speaking newspapers (and probably Flemish ones too ;)), I read that the only flying replica of the amphibious plane Sikorsky S-38 will make a charity flight from Minnesota to Berlin, starting 20/08/2010. Brussels is on its itinerary and is scheduled to be there on Friday 03/09.

More info in English on: http://www.airventure.org/news/2010/100 ... orsky.html

Fair use extract:
Osa's Ark is the world's only flying example of an S-38. And Schrade is planning a long-distance flight of his own a few weeks after AirVenture. Beginning August 20, he will make a charity flight from Minnesota to Berlin, Germany, in cooperation with The Wings of Hope, which provides support for other humanitarian organizations worldwide through the coordination of air transport for rescue workers, supplies, and patients. From Minnesota, the S-38 will cross Labrador, South Greenland, Iceland, Scotland, Faeroe Islands, London, Brussels, and Frankfurt, before arriving in Berlin.
Now the question is: at what time is it expected to land in BRU (I guess it's too risky to have it "land" on the Canal, although it would be cool :mrgreen: ), and will there be some ceremony for it?

At the moderators: not sure if it is the right place to post it, so please move it if needed... and if it were already discussed, all my apologies!

Edit: seems that propwash was faster and started a discussion 3 minutes before mine... moderators, please delete this discussion (or merge it ;))
Fabien
Flown: AA5 / A300-310-318-319-320-321-330-340-380 / ATR42 / B717-737-747-757-777 / Bae146 / C130H / CRJ700-900 / Dash8-Q400 / E145-195 / Fokker 50 / HS748 / MD81 / RJ85-100 / Robin DR400

sdbelgium

Re: 3 Sept. Sikorsky S-38 Flying Yacht "Osa's Ark' @ EBBR

Post by sdbelgium »

I merged your posts, since they are both quite informative...

Propwash

Post by Propwash »

I just send them an e-mail for ETA etc ;)

jan_olieslagers

Post by jan_olieslagers »

I must hope I'll be too busy earning some money at long last - but if somehow possible, I'll certainly come and see this rare bird!
Would indeed be nice to see her in the canal - somewhere north of Vilvoorde might be feasible - but indeed we had better not count on it.
Heavily counting to those "in the know" as to exact timing AND location at EBBR (Abelag, I should reckon?)
TIA,

Ivan_Eagle

Post by Ivan_Eagle »

and where stand brussels??

Day 1 Depart Minneapolis arrive Sault Ste Marie
Day 2 Depart Sault Ste Marie arrive Kapuskasing, CA
Day 3 Depart Kapuskasing, CA arrive La Grande Rivers, CA
Day 4 Depart La Grande Rivers, CA arrive Kuujjauq (Fort Chimo) CA
Day 5 Depart Kuujjauq (Fort Chimo) CA arrive Iqaluit (Frobisher)
Day 6 Depart Iqaluit (Frobisher), CA arrive Kangerlussuaq (Sondre
Stromfjord) GL
Day 7 Depart Kangerlussuaq (Sondre Stromfjord) GL arrive Kulusuk
Day 8 Depart Kulusuk GL arrive Keflavik IS
Day 9 Depart Kaflavik IS arrive Hornafjordur IS
Day 10 Depart Hornafjordur IS arrive Vagar
Here starts the European flights :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Day 11 Depart Vagar FO arrive Inverness GB
Day 12 Depart Inverness GV arrive Dublin IR
Day 13 Depart Dublin IR arrive Duxford
Day 14 Depart Duxford arrive Franfurt
Day 15 Depart Frankfurt arrive Dortmund
Day 16 Depart Dortmund arrive Hamburg
Day 17 Depart Hamburg arrive Berlin
Day 18 Depart Berlin arrive Muchen

Propwash

Post by Propwash »

Ivan_Eagle wrote:and where stand brussels??
From Minnesota, the S-38 will cross Labrador, South Greenland, Iceland, Scotland, Faeroe Islands, London, Brussels, and Frankfurt, before arriving in Berlin.

Source

SpottairBRU

Post by SpottairBRU »

Ivan_Eagle wrote:and where stand brussels??

Day 1 Depart Minneapolis arrive Sault Ste Marie
Day 2 Depart Sault Ste Marie arrive Kapuskasing, CA
Day 3 Depart Kapuskasing, CA arrive La Grande Rivers, CA
Day 4 Depart La Grande Rivers, CA arrive Kuujjauq (Fort Chimo) CA
Day 5 Depart Kuujjauq (Fort Chimo) CA arrive Iqaluit (Frobisher)
Day 6 Depart Iqaluit (Frobisher), CA arrive Kangerlussuaq (Sondre
Stromfjord) GL
Day 7 Depart Kangerlussuaq (Sondre Stromfjord) GL arrive Kulusuk
Day 8 Depart Kulusuk GL arrive Keflavik IS
Day 9 Depart Kaflavik IS arrive Hornafjordur IS
Day 10 Depart Hornafjordur IS arrive Vagar
Here starts the European flights :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
Day 11 Depart Vagar FO arrive Inverness GB
Day 12 Depart Inverness GV arrive Dublin IR
Day 13 Depart Dublin IR arrive Duxford
Day 14 Depart Duxford arrive Franfurt
Day 15 Depart Frankfurt arrive Dortmund
Day 16 Depart Dortmund arrive Hamburg
Day 17 Depart Hamburg arrive Berlin
Day 18 Depart Berlin arrive Muchen
Interesting details, Ivan Eagle! May I ask where you found them?

Just speculating, guessing: maybe BRU is only one technical stop? There are about 640 km (bird eye) between Duxford and Frankfurt. Most of the European legs are within the 400km range... even with a max range of 1200km, they probably wish to take it easy with their machine and have the opportunity to check it frequently on the ground?

It could also be a "political" stop, like "we did not want to ignore Europe's capital!"

Just one thought!

Edit: spelling
Fabien
Flown: AA5 / A300-310-318-319-320-321-330-340-380 / ATR42 / B717-737-747-757-777 / Bae146 / C130H / CRJ700-900 / Dash8-Q400 / E145-195 / Fokker 50 / HS748 / MD81 / RJ85-100 / Robin DR400

jan_olieslagers

SpottairBRU wrote:Interesting details, Ivan Eagle! May I ask where you found them?
Looks like a copy-paste - spelling errors included - from http://www.unlimitedadventure.com/WorldTripRoute.html
which can be found linking from the replica's home page http://www.flightschoollist.com/aviatio ... /?vi2d6v3m

Propwash

Post by Propwash »

Maybe Osa's Ark is overflying Brussels 'Area' only :thumbdown:

jan_olieslagers

If I were organising such a flight - which seems very unlikely in this life, alas - I would
1) land wherever I found a sponsor make it worth it
2) NOT go to hassle of planning a flight through Brussels CTR - one of the busiest bits of airspace in Europe - unless I really wanted to, as one would to actually land at EBBR. If a Brussels landing is not planned, I see little use and much effort in flying over the Brussels area. A good deal of which is the prohibited zone P1, anyway.

SpottairBRU

Post by SpottairBRU »

I just sent an e-mail via the contact form of the replica's home page. I'll post their answer... If I get one :)
Fabien

Propwash

Post by Propwash »

SpottairBRU wrote:I just sent an e-mail via the contact form of the replica's home page. I'll post their answer... If I get one :)
I did the same to unlimitedadventure.com, but haven't received an answer yet.

If Osa's Ark leaves Minneapolis on August 21, the crew must fly each day (cruise speed approx. 0092KIAS) without mechanical and/or weather 'diversion/grounding' problems for being in Duxford on September 2nd (Day 13)!

Except from the .be 'hoax' media, the BRU GA Handling Agent isn't aware (notified) of Osa's Ark arrival (Day 14).

UnlimitedAdventure

Post by UnlimitedAdventure »

To all following the S-38 Flight

We are unsure the exact date we will cross Belgium... hoping for September 29th, but the weather will dictate the schedule. Once the flight begins, real time tracking (sponsored by SPOT) will be available on www.unlimitedadventure.com and we will try daily to upload pictures and a blog along with plans for the upcoming day.

The 21st is approaching quickly and there are many preparations underway. You can join us on Facebook, My Space and Tweet.

Hope to see you soon!

The Unlimited Adventure Team

Propwash

Post by Propwash »

This morning I received a reply from the Unlimited Adventure Team :thumbup:
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2010 17:32:22 -0700 (PDT)

We are unsure the exact date we will cross Belgium... hoping for September 29th, but the weather will dictate the schedule. Once the flight begins, real time tracking (sponsored by SPOT) will be available on http://www.unlimitedadventure.com and we will try daily to upload pictures and a blog along with plans for the upcoming day.

The planned schedule can be found on the website www.unlimitedadventure.com on the World Tour page 2

The 21st is approaching quickly and there are many preparations underway.

sn26567

Post by sn26567 »

Propwash, UnlimitedAdventure has posted the same message directly in the forum. See message above yours! Thanks anyway for letting us know.
André
ex Sabena #26567

Propwash

Post by Propwash »

sn26567 wrote:Propwash, UnlimitedAdventure has posted the same message directly in the forum. See message above yours!
Oeps, Scheiße, дерьмо
UnlimitedAdventure wrote:Hope to see you soon!
You can count on me ;)

jan_olieslagers

UnlimitedAdventure wrote:To all following the S-38 Flight

We are unsure the exact date we will cross Belgium... hoping for September 29th, but the weather will dictate the schedule. Once the flight begins, real time tracking (sponsored by SPOT) will be available on http://www.unlimitedadventure.com and we will try daily to upload pictures and a blog along with plans for the upcoming day.

The 21st is approaching quickly and there are many preparations underway. You can join us on Facebook, My Space and Tweet.

Hope to see you soon!

Team,
Thanks for sparing your effort to reply here! We are in some uncertainty, as your flight schedule counts a route leg from UK to Germany, yet elsewhere Brussels is mentioned as a stage. Quoting yourself, you will only be "crossing" Belgium, yet you inspired hopes that we might see the Ark on Belgian ground. Can you kindly inform whether Osa's Ark will actually land in Belgium, at Brussels Airport or wherever?
PS never mind someone's wondering at your not yet registration with the G/A handling agent (our European equivalent to an FBO) - this forum is mostly devoted to airliner operations, not everybody down here is aware of the weather deities, and their almight over light plane operations.

Propwash

Post by Propwash »

She's on shedule ;)
Fri Aug 27, 2010 4:54 pm

I just seen a very slow moving amphibian go overhead into Wick. I rang the airport and they have said it is a 1928 Sikorsky Amphibian on its way in from over the pond.

Source
Tomorrow she will be flying to Duxford (EGSU) and Saturday to Frankfurt (EDDF).

A nice 'low level' deviation/detour via EBZH will be appreciated :mrgreen:

mill100

Post by mill100 »

Someone to confirm the bird has indeed passed Belgium allready? Details? and/or actual whereabouts?

Thanx very much!