spotting tips EBAW

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips from the Belgian airports

Moderator: Plane spotting team

peacemaker

spotting tips EBAW

Post by peacemaker »

does anyone have spotting tips for EBAW for me
i know its very close to the road, runway 29....

vliegtuigfreak

Post by vliegtuigfreak »

Jup, near the R11 is a very good place to spot and you don't need a big lens at all. I allready stood next to the runway and i think its allowed (police didn't chased me away).
Just be carefull when a plane is landing for the landing gear.
And when a plane is giving full trust, turn your back to it.

Have a nice spotting day in Antwerp!

Greetingzz
Sonny :wink:

speedbird1

Post by speedbird1 »

I hope that you have got patience...! Although there is good light aircraft traffic at times.

Emirates

peacemaker

Post by peacemaker »

i got patience, :) i always have to wait every morning on my friend that doesn't find his key :roll: :wink:

sab319
Location: Mortsel, antwerp, Flanders, Belgium, Europe, Earth, Milky way

Post by sab319 »

well the R11 is a deadly dangerous road to send next too while the traffic at EBAW isn't really spectacular, but good luck anyways...

peacemaker

Post by peacemaker »

i know there isn't that much traffic, but its a good place to spot jets

NLmember

Post by NLmember »

Peacemaker, you must be joking :?:

Well have fun :lol:

Regards,
NLmember

sab319

Post by sab319 »

peacemaker wrote:i know there isn't that much traffic, but its a good place to spot jets
I've lived my entire live under the approach path of RWY 29, and there aren't that many jets landing here, only the usual bizjets...

Bruspotter

Post by Bruspotter »

Hello
i know its very close to the road, runway 29....

Indeed! VERY CLOSE!!! In the good old days (am a little more careful right now , since I need a airport identification badge to enter the practice hangar of my school , I have to watch my steps) , but in the good old days , I walked to the middle of the runway right in front of the razor wire , and I awaited the plane there. Until (after long waiting) the plane came for a turn right before the white line (wich , you will see , is VERY CLOSE to the spot that I used to stand) , maybe 10m with the nose from you , the props nearly right in front of me (but still far distance...at last they are higher than me , by the way , when the plane was that close , I went down on my knees , seeing that the wing didn't hit my head :D). I had to do that ONCE to experience that , but now I don't do it anymore! It was fun as long as dured (when the Avro RJ100 of 'Discovery airlines' still came at EBAW , they always waved friendly :D))And for the jetblast...just make sure , you get down when it reaches you , not because of the fact you might be blown away(of course ALSO) , but the sand flying around really hurts in your face.. But now , it's kind a dead.

So to say it short: You can best try the RWY29 but you can see for yourself HOW close you want to go. Warning!!! It might be that (even sometimes when the wind comes from the west (but mostly as good as NO wind), that he lands RWY11 and takes-off like that too. I've seen it multiple times (mostaly in the afternoon than), so don't be shocked by that. So you might as well have to go to RWY11 , where the only good possibility to take pictures , is trying to press your cam trough the fence , or wait until it's above you.And since the terrace is closed , it's not really a good option to go to 'Belair' Restaurant. If you want to capture him on take-off-roll RWY11 you can try the spot next to the runway (pointed to the north , so good light normally) , you just drive into the road right behind (or before , depends on where you are coming from)the car-wash...you can try to park you car in the turn , and maybe you can get your cam trough a hole there.Or the last possibility for a take-off shot at 11 is entering the gate next to the Stampe & Vertongen , and head for the small garden next to it , maybe you can get on the grasshill than , you might as well have some good shots from there.

If the VLM doesn't have any delays , and if they use the daily schedule , as normally planned that this should be the flight ETA's & ETD's (not a lot). (only the ones during the day , not in the evening).

DEP 08:00 ?? Londen LCY
ARR 10:30 Londen LCY
DEP 11:00 Londen LCY
ARR 13:30 Londen LCY
DEP 14:00 Londen LCY
ARR 16:30 Londen LCY
DEP 17:00 Londen LCY
ARR 19:30 Londen LCY
DEP 20:00 Londen LCY
----later flights???------

Can't promise anything about the flights from 08:00LT and 19:30-20:00 LT , but all other times should normally be correct. But again , can't guarantee it , since the EBAW's flights schedule isn't available(Temporarily because the construction works at the Terminal now.)

But you can at least use these ETA/ETD's as an indication. But don't be surprised if he doesn't shows up , he dears to come late , or not at all. Remember. Missed a flight? Don't come back within the 3 hours for the VLM , he want be back before that time. ;)

For the rest you do probably see some Cessna Citiation Jets , and maybe even Falcon Jets , if you're lucky. And if you're really lucky , even a Gulfstream or even a Canadair Global Express (2 or 3 weeks ago).

Have fun spotting: Yannick ;)

peacemaker

Post by peacemaker »

ok thanx everybody for the replies, i'm going to antwerp because i know some people there, and i maybe can get on the appron....i say maybe, not sure :wink:

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

any ideas where to park your car to go to rwy 29?
Matthias Thoen
MicroWings - Aviation Hobby Store

sab319

Post by sab319 »

killerwhale65 wrote:any ideas where to park your car to go to rwy 29?
Well just park it at the terminal building and follow the road parallel to the railway until you reach the R11 and than you turn right.

Or you could park at the Carrefour in Borsbeek which lies next to the R11.

killerwhale65

Post by killerwhale65 »

thanks for the tips!
Matthias Thoen
MicroWings - Aviation Hobby Store

Bruspotter

Post by Bruspotter »

Hello

Jan Olieslagers wrote:
5) Not much luck at the 'north' hangars generally - pity 'cause this is where the more interesting planes can be seen.

Do you really mean the northern side of the airport? Around the I&E Aviation hangar? And the northern apartments and baseball fields? That's where I have to be every friday , but only small traffic.

Killerwhale65:

You can also drive into the road to the Fortress near. Normally it isn't aloud , but there are quite many people who like to stop there (even to sleep I once saw... :roll: ) , but than you have to make sure , that you stand on the piece of road right next to the 'Militaire baan' , in the dirt /dust-road , it's wider there , you might be able to park your car there somewhere besides , but make sure it doesn't blocks the road for other drivers , as it can be pretty busy traffic sometimes (and the Police station is only a good 700m further :D) , but normally it shouldn't give any problems if you don't park there TOO long. Other possibility's than the one given earlier in this topic (if there isn't place) you can park near the baseball fields at the south(located near the railway , next to the bridge).But it's still a little walk than , from there , or you could also park your car at the 'Carrefour' , in the North , but it's both a walk so :D (Guess both about 5min up to 8min max.)

Notice that this are only possible parking places if you spot at RWY29.

In every case! Have fun and good luck: Yannick ;)