a question for pilots about colour blindness test

A forum to discuss all aviation items (not for latest aviation news and military aviation news)

Moderator: Latest news team

sasa

a question for pilots about colour blindness test

Post by sasa »

guys do anyone knows about the eye colour blindness test for the pilots..is there any pilot there to tell me about the test he or she took? here in egypt we us FAA rules so would like to know if they just do the test as for example showing coloured balls or those plates with the hidden number in? please reply to me because it can full fill my dream to finally be a pilot especially if the test is only about coloured balls or sheets thanks alot in advance

thomascookie

Post by thomascookie »

Hey

Here in belgium it's indeed the hidden numbers (coloured balls) in the book.

Greetings
Hope you can fullfill your dream!!

sasa

Post by sasa »

too bad ..seems i`m losing hope because i can easily diffrenciate the colours alone but not in the numbers test:( my problem is with dark green and dark red and dark brown:S.......too bad seems there is no hope:(

TUB001

Post by TUB001 »

Maybe not for the JAR requirements, but a friend of mine passed his FAA medical exam with colour blindness problems (at a serious level).

Just give them a call so you know!

TWR

Post by TWR »

Don't give up hope so soon !! If you fail Ishiara (numbers in book) there are two more tests to undergo. If you pass these two you're still good to go... If you fail only a couple of numbers in the book there is a good chance, if you fail them all I'm afraid your colour-blindness is too serious.

sasa

Post by sasa »

thanks alot guys.TUB001&TWR.you really made me feel better..no i don`t have a serious ones...i can diffrenciate between them easily except for the numbers and sometimes i get like 2 or3 out of the 8 numbers infront of me i think i should give it a try...anyone knows if i failed the test if i have the right to re do it again or no?&TUB001 was your friend applying to be an airliner pilot?

TUB001

Post by TUB001 »

sasa wrote:thanks alot guys.TUB001&TWR.you really made me feel better..no i don`t have a serious ones...i can diffrenciate between them easily except for the numbers and sometimes i get like 2 or3 out of the 8 numbers infront of me i think i should give it a try...anyone knows if i failed the test if i have the right to re do it again or no?&TUB001 was your friend applying to be an airliner pilot?
Yes, the guy I know is currently doing his frozen-ATPL in Canada, so he has the medical class 1 there. It wouldn't have been possible in Belgium though, but as I said, his colour blindness level was *really* serious.

What you can also do is to ask them what the tolerances are and then go for a check at your ophtalmologist. It could avoid you to spend almost 400€ for nothing. I am not sure you can do the test more than once if you are judged unfit for such a reason.

Check on http://mobilit.fgov.be to get some contact information for the Medical Department.

Good luck, and don't give up :wink:

sasa

Post by sasa »

thanks alot again for your help i really appreciate it i was losing hope..i even now have a degree of civil engineering but felt that that`s not what i want i want to fullfill the dream of my life since i was 3

sasa

Post by sasa »

do anyone know what other special tests that must be taken?

TWR

Post by TWR »

1. anomaloscoop van Nagel of een equivalent toestel.

2. lantaarn van Holmes-Wright, de lamp van Beyne of de lantaarn Spectrolux.

sasa

Post by sasa »

what are those?