REQ: MAD Spotting Info

Share pictures, log-reports, special aircraft, nice events, hints and tips

Moderator: Plane spotting team

Lee_Storer

REQ: MAD Spotting Info

Post by Lee_Storer »

Hello all,

I am off to Malaga for a couple of weeks next month and intend to get an internal flight to Madrid for a few days spotting.

I have read on other sites that the seated window area in T2 departures is the best spot.

I would be grateful if anyone could advise if this spot is still available or if they no of any other locations.

Many thanks,

Lee

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

How long is your connection?

Actually, the best spot (in my opinion) is not airside!

You have to go to the 'Boulevard Barajas' on the 2nd floor of (I think) the B-C gates. There is a big cafetaria.

I was there a few weeks ago together with forum member Apuneger, and those are some shots he took from that cafetaria:
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/637572/L/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/637540/L/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/631090/L/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/631091/L/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/631085/L/
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/631084/L/

Behind those planes, you can see the runway in use for landings. This means that you see all traffic landing, + all traffic taxiing to/from the gates (except the small CRJ, DHC8 and F50 aircraft of Air Nostrum, as they park a bit further).

MAD has a great mix of traffic, and is in my opinion highly recommended for a day of spotting!

Have fun...

Frederic
Brussels Airlines - Flying Your Way

SilverJET

Post by SilverJET »

Frederic,

Nice planes.
Sinde MAD is the Airport for South American carriers, it's sure highly recommended for spotting.

I didn't know about that cafetaria 'Boulevard Barajas' I thought it was airside.

Thanks for sharing that info !

Regards
Raymond

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Hi Raymond:

The name of that cafetaria is not Boulevard Barajas, but it is located IN the Boulevard Barajas - this to avoid confusion.

The Boulevard Barajas is a small 'street' with some shops.

Frederic

SilverJET

Post by SilverJET »

ah I see, thanks for your correction Fred

levent

Post by levent »

Hi all,
I´ve been lots of times in MAD for my work, and spent hours in the cafe you´re talking about. The location is T2 departure hall, there is a passageway in the middle between the check-in desks. It´s quite good viewing with a lot of glass. Best time is after noon, because it faces east and in the morning you´ll be looking into the sun (and it gets quite hot). Indeed lots of intercontinental traffic from South America. Air Nostrum uses a separate apron at T3, which can´t be seen, but sometimes also parks just opposite the terminal among other commuters. I´ll be placing some photos of MAD on my website soon: www.bergkotte.nl/~levent/aviation/Intro.htm
Happy spotting!

Lee_Storer

Post by Lee_Storer »

Hello Raymond and Raymond,

Thanks for the replies.

The position those shots were taken looks perfect.

So am i correct in thinking that this position is landside within terminal 2 at a big cafetaria, and not a small street outside of the airport.

My connection is what i make it really.

I plan to fly Air Europa from Malaga and spend a few days in Madrid with the wife, who is very happy to sit and read a book while i spot.

Cheers

Lee

levent

Post by levent »

You´re lucky, Lee, I always have to buy her an ice cream! Nah, she actually enjoys watching airplanes too. Hey, might be a subject for a new topic: "Planes and partners"

Levent

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Hi Lee,
So am i correct in thinking that this position is landside within terminal 2 at a big cafetaria, and not a small street outside of the airport.
That's correct! I forgot to add the Terminal number: it's indeed T2 as said by Levent.

@Levent: am I correct that the cafetaria is between the B and C-gates?
Air Nostrum uses a separate apron at T3, which can´t be seen, but sometimes also parks just opposite the terminal among other commuters.
When I was there, Air Nostrum mostly parked some planes in front of the cafetaria during quiet times.

A surprise for me was the frequency of arrivals, I hadn't expected that MAD was going to be so busy.

Of course, the IB A320's can be boring after some time. But hey, the other traffic makes up for it!

One last tip: do not forget that those Latin American carriers land between 9am-2pm. They do not leave before the late evening, so make that you are early enough over there!
Best time is after noon, because it faces east and in the morning you´ll be looking into the sun (and it gets quite hot).
It's very hot indeed... better hope for some clouds ;)

Regards
Frederic

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Frederic,

reminds me that we still need to read your Madrid spotting and trip-report ;)

Lee_Storer

Post by Lee_Storer »

May i thank you all for your very helpful posts.

I am really looking forward to getting some IBE heavies as well as the South American traffic. The only IBE heavy i have so far is an A340 that ferried football supporters to Manchester last year.

Cheers,

Lee

luchtzak

Post by luchtzak »

Enjoy your spotting Lee, Madrid is a huge airport with loads of exotic aircrafts and don't forget the huge Iberia-fleet!

levent

Post by levent »

Hi Frederic, Lee and others,

The viewing point is located between the C and D gates in T2. By the way, Iberia is finally operating the first B747-400 through a wet-lease from Air Atlanta. Lee, I hope you´ll catch this one as well as the beautiful A340-600!

Happy spotting!!!
Levent

Sabena_690

Post by Sabena_690 »

Hi Levent,

IB has also taken delivery in the meantime of their second B744!
reminds me that we still need to read your Madrid spotting and trip-report
I hope to publish the first part this week!

Frederic

AN124

Post by AN124 »

Frederic,

The place your are refering to, is this the cafetria where close to the Spanair checkin desks?

When I was there in December I walked throug a small hallway next to the spanair checkin (left side when standing in front of is).

From there you had a great view to the passing planes and most of the time Spanair and Air Europe where parking their planes around there.

Best Regards,
Yvo

Apuneger

Post by Apuneger »

Hi,

As Frederic mentioned, MAD is quite nice for some spotting as well as for taking pics (if you manage to find a clean spot on the windows, which shouldn't be too much of a problem). There are also some good outside viewing opportunities, but better check other online spotting guides (check Google or Yahoo).

Greetings from sunny Tenerife,
Ivan
It's not good when it's done, it's done when it's good...
---
Facebook | Twitter | Flickr

Lee_Storer

Post by Lee_Storer »

Many thanks to all who posted replies to my question.

The last time i visitted Malaga i was able to spot from a dirt track on the far side of the runway. I believe the village was called Churriana although i could be wrong.

I have seen on the rarely updated Malaga Spotters site that this is now (or was) a building site. Is anyone able to shed any light on this or advise of any other locations around AGP for a few hours lazy spotting?

Many thanks,

Lee

SilverJET

Post by SilverJET »

One last tip: do not forget that those Latin American carriers land between 9am-2pm. They do not leave before the late evening, so make that you are early enough over there!
At what time do they leave MAD ?

Does someone has updated info on spotting at Terminal 4? Does it require to be already checked-in ?

The spot at Terminal two, does it require to be already checked-in ?
Best Regards Raymond

airbuske

Post by airbuske »

Does someone has updated info on spotting at Terminal 4? Does it require to be already checked-in ?
Hi,

I was together with Kaninchen87 at Madrid Barajas in april this year.
It's a fantastic airport espacially for us! We love Iberia's Airbus fleet
and don't forget the Vueling fleet !

The nicest view you have at the airside of T4.
T4 is a very big terminal with with nice views
on the tarmac arround T4 and runways 36L/R if they are in use.

Maybe it is also possible to spot outside T4.
Best regards,

Airbuske

SilverJET

Post by SilverJET »

Has the spot at Terminal 2 still nice traffice coming along, now the Terminal 4 building is open?
Best Regards Raymond